Possible Canada Post work stoppage this Friday July 8 , 2016

Canada Post issued a 72 hour lockout notice, if an agreement isnt reached, workers will be locked out on Friday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-post-lockout-notice-1.3664710

Canada Post has said that in the event of a full work disruption, it will not operate — mail and parcels will not be delivered, and no new items will be accepted.

Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

Re: Possible Canada Post work stoppage this Friday July 8 , 2016

@postit4me wrote:

Since June 30 my non CPC retail outlet told me they could no longer take parcels by order of CPC. They stated CPC did not want mail hanging around these Retail Postal Outlets.  This is why there volumes are down.  Since I know the approximate time of pick up I waited for the van and the postal worker was glad to accept my parcels.  Thank you postie for your service. ...

Your local outlet person was full of it and should have been reported to CP for re-education.

They might have been told to stop accepting parcels when there is a strike/lockout.

Lots of folks got confused about Canada Post's June 30 last day of delivery advertising to think that June 30 was the stop day rather than the current July 8.

-..-

Message 41 of 76
latest reply

I'm staying open. I have checked both FedEx and Purolator and can say although there is an increase to use them it is minimal for me. Also Purolator is offering new small business discounts of 30% for the next six months. I am a letter carrier with Canada post and after talking with the UPS driver on my route can say these companies are geared up to handle the extra parcels.

Message 42 of 76
latest reply

Ups is doing a 20 per cent discount for new business. I'm going with that due to it being conveniently located. Closer than my nearest postal counter.
Message 43 of 76
latest reply

Also, I extended my handling time just in case.
Message 44 of 76
latest reply

I think there was a company in Montreal that was advertising on the Boards a few months ago about opening a company like Toronto's ChitChatExpress or Vancouver's BookstotheBorder.

Those companies will carry your postal shipments across the border and give them to USPS for further shipping.

Can anyone help handbags out on this?

Most of my items are shipped FreeShipping/LetterRate, so couriers are waaaaay too expensive.

If you can access USPS shipping, or if courier shipping is reasonably priced compared to your Canada Post based Calculated Shipping, you can stay open and just change shippers.

Otherwise, you may be safer to close all your listings for the duration.

They will go into your Unsold List and stay there for 60 days.

You won't get the current listing fee back, but there will be no new fees on the items on the list .

Last time (2011) CUPW used revolving strikes, some as short as a single shift, in random locations for 12 days. The mail was disrupted, but continued.

Then management locked out the workers for 13 days, stopping all service until Parliament ordered them back to work.

Message 45 of 76
latest reply

thank you we still keep open most of our customers are very understanding and helpful too. If i dont find a solution for me i may go on vacation mode .Montreal area isnt a problem because they contact me thru ebay or facebook.But i have customers all over Canada and USA & Europe as well so i really need to find option .We just started last year and i dont want to just shut.but i may need .Thank you very much for your help

Message 46 of 76
latest reply

I'm ignoring the potential strike...business as usual. If it it happens, it happens...Not my fault and I'm not stressing about it...

Message 47 of 76
latest reply

Well, I just put my store on vacation mode, for the first time ever.   I was told that it could take hours my fixed price listings to disappear from being searched but they vanished almost instantly.   I did a random search of several and they were nowhere to be found.  So that's good, I guess.  sigh.

I hope this  is over real, real fast.

Message 48 of 76
latest reply

i had decided that i will remain open and deal with every customer .Im small business owner and cant afford to stop .Hope things will work out somehow .Seeing worse in my physical store . So far all the customers are very patience and understanding.Wish all of you good luck and have a great day.Thanks for all the help.

Message 49 of 76
latest reply

Full Page article in the Winnipeg Free Press today... Wednesday July 6.

It was like they were reading our many discussions about the strike on this board!

Message 50 of 76
latest reply

I read it .But whats bother me with all this is that the small business that will suffer . Hope that everything will be fine in the end.

Message 51 of 76
latest reply

That is where the review of Canada Post by the Government of Canada will become import...

Specifically to internet sales....eBay and elsewhere

Internet sales are a new reality... with more sales each year.....Something that Canada Post recognizes....  but does not consider important when there is a strike upcoming....

Message 52 of 76
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Full Page article in the Winnipeg Free Press today... Wednesday July 6.

It was like they were reading our many discussions about the strike on this board!

They probably were. At least the existence of ebay was acknowledged at the bottom of the piece. 

Message 53 of 76
latest reply

https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/07/06/pensions-are-sticking-points-in-canada-post-talks.html

this is really infuriating me.   It looks like they won't be locked out on Friday.  Just have hours cut back, some lay offs etc but the mail will keep going.   I put my store on vacation today but probably should have left it open as I could still most likely ship packages internationally.

CP says it doesn't like the uncertainty but is creating it with this move.  Either lockout and force a resolution or reach an agreement.  This limbo is the worst of all as it makes CP useless to its customers but does not force either side to come to a resolution.

Message 54 of 76
latest reply

I just don't get it...They said it would shut down last week and so my stores have been closed for over a week now. But they're still delivering mail and "negotiating" so should I re-open my stores? Now they're extending the 72 hr forced lock out to Monday. I don't want my stores closed if unnecessary...
Message 56 of 76
latest reply

Binding arbitration! The two sweetest words in the English language. The union can't say 'no' to that.
Message 57 of 76
latest reply

store turned back on!.........this is fabulous news.

Message 58 of 76
latest reply

i'm turning back on. The union will certainly agree to arbitration. This most likely means there will be no disruption of postal services at all.
Message 59 of 76
latest reply

The union has said no to binding arbitration!

Message 60 of 76
latest reply