Possible Canada Post work stoppage this Friday July 8 , 2016

Canada Post issued a 72 hour lockout notice, if an agreement isnt reached, workers will be locked out on Friday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-post-lockout-notice-1.3664710

Canada Post has said that in the event of a full work disruption, it will not operate — mail and parcels will not be delivered, and no new items will be accepted.

Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

Re: Possible Canada Post work stoppage this Friday July 8 , 2016

They can't really refuse. It will be suicide to do so. The Union says that now but I'm certain they'll come back by Monday morning to say 'the membership has spoken' and then go with it. The alternative will be much worse for them. When the federal government steps into your labour dispute to say, "Let us offer you binding arbitration," you can't refuse.
Message 61 of 76
latest reply

The membership hires executives to deal with those issues, and the membership has to live with them, unless they can fire them and hire a new executive. Good luck with that.

No different than a CEO of a corporation making decisions for the company.

Message 62 of 76
latest reply

@fashionoutletdeal wrote:

So in your opinion even a "vacation " mode wouldnt be a good option at this moment?Or maybe thats what you mean by closing the stores.Im sorry im new on eBay and im trying to learn from more experienced people then myself. And as well i also dont have any faith in eBay customer service.They always punish the seller no matter of the situation.

Yes, when I said I was closing my store, I meant that I was putting it in "vacation" mode, with all listings hidden.  

I know there are sellers who feel they can deal with the potential risks and problems that staying open may create, but my trust in eBay is such that I'd rather lose income for a few weeks than have eBay punish me to the point of being unable to sell.  Even if I offered courier delivery, I think very, very few buyers would want to pay the cost, so what's the point of staying open for a potential few sales when there are otherwise serious risks involved? 

For example, eBay has given absolutely no assurances about problems involving returns of items by buyers, and have been vague about what will happen with INR claims that do get filed by buyers.  They've said they are "extending the timelines" in order to "help meet customer expectations", but that isn't enough for me to feel confident that a problem connected with the postal disruption won't cause eBay to leave me with an unresolved case.  Nor do I believe that CS will suddenly change and become fully informed, knowledgeable and sympathetic to sellers' situations after the fact.  As the saying goes, if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you...

Message 63 of 76
latest reply

The membership hires executives to deal with those issues,

No.

The union elects its executives.

There is a permanent hired staff to assist those elected representatives.

The membership could demand the resignation of their elected reps or they could wait and vote them out of office when they come up for election again.

Message 64 of 76
latest reply

Sorry for using the wrong word, but I think you know exactly what I am referring to.

Message 65 of 76
latest reply

To make my comment somewhat clearer, You now have an elected union president that is on a power trip and I personally don't think he cares 2 hoots about the membership, CP, or the public with his stupid antics.

It may not be procedure, but maybe he should have gone to the membership with the CP offer to actually get their opinion as they are the ones that have to live with it.

Message 66 of 76
latest reply

Yesterday Canpar called me to asked me who was my career once they learned was CPC they refused to serve me in long term...I dont know to laugh or cry ? Definitely i see that there  isnt any support for Canadian company. No wonder why American companies are taking over Canadian market . Not for good .Canada is loosing identity .I read somewhere that Canada Post its already lost 80% of their customers. Wonder from where will come the money that the union fight for? Lately people loose their common sense that there is a big difference what you wish to have and what you could afford.Just my thoughts and frustration because i know how many people are affected from this game. How many families will struggle to meet their needs,but they dont have union ..........

Message 67 of 76
latest reply

Yesterday Canpar called me to asked me who was my career once they learned was CPC they refused to serve me in long term...I dont know to laugh or cry ? 

That's really bizarre.  Did the Canpar rep give any reason for this?

Message 68 of 76
latest reply

WELL THE CONVERSATION WAS SO STRANGE .... THEY FIRST ASKED ME WHO IS MY CAREER AND THEN THEY TOLD ME THAT DUE TO THE CP STRIKE THEY DONT GET NEW CUSTOMERS.WHY IN FIRST PLACE THEY ASKED ME WHO IS MY CAREER? i CALLED SO MANY COMPANIES 2 PAGES OF PHONE NUMBERS.THE ONLY TWO WHO I I WAS SOMEHOW LUCKY TO GET WAS FEDEX AND WAITING FOR LOOMIS TO CALL ME BACK MONDAY. IM IN REAL NIGHTMARE AND WITH MY DAUGHTER WE ARE REALLY THINKING TO SHIP OUT OF THE COUNTRY ,UP TILL NOW I WAS THE STUBBORN ONE FOR SUPPORTING CANADIAN MARKET BUT WHEN COMES TO WHAT PAY YOUR ROOF AND FOOD FAMILY FIRST.SORRY TO WRITE WITH CAPITAL LETTERS JUST SAW NOW .BUT ITS TRUE IM ANGRY

Message 69 of 76
latest reply

Yesterday Canpar called me to asked me who was my career once they learned was CPC they refused to serve me in long term...I dont know to laugh or cry ? Definitely i see that there  isnt any support for Canadian company. No wonder why American companies are taking over Canadian market . Not for good .Canada is loosing identity .I read somewhere that Canada Post its already lost 80% of their customers. Wonder from where will come the money that the union fight for? Lately people loose their common sense that there is a big difference what you wish to have and what you could afford.Just my thoughts and frustration because i know how many people are affected from this game. How many families will struggle to meet their needs,but they dont have union ..........

I did not understand this post or the ones that follow because you wrote career when you meant carrier.

Just posting this in case others did not understand.

Message 70 of 76
latest reply

I was confused.

Is it possible that some of the courier companies are turning away new business in case it's temporary only due to the CPC work disruption? Like, they're not taking new clients? Does that happen? I can't imagine UPS telling me to go fly a kite. Work is work.
Message 71 of 76
latest reply

Im really sorry for my mistake.Thanks 

Message 72 of 76
latest reply

well happened to me .Its look like im not so lucky 

Message 73 of 76
latest reply

I have heard that some couriers are only embracing new customers that they think will stay and they're hesitating to take on folks who only want a replacement for the PO during this time.

From a business sense it makes sense, the couriers are having to staff and manage a higher volume which impacts their "real" long term customers service..... and they don't want to lose their ongoing customers (sort of unlike what's happening with the po)
Message 74 of 76
latest reply

its my luck no lol
Message 76 of 76
latest reply