Possible Canada Post work stoppage this Friday July 8 , 2016

Canada Post issued a 72 hour lockout notice, if an agreement isnt reached, workers will be locked out on Friday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-post-lockout-notice-1.3664710

Canada Post has said that in the event of a full work disruption, it will not operate — mail and parcels will not be delivered, and no new items will be accepted.

Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

@wkndshop wrote:

Canada Post issued a 72 hour lockout notice, if an agreement isnt reached, workers will be locked out on Friday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-post-lockout-notice-1.3664710

Canada Post has said that in the event of a full work disruption, it will not operate — mail and parcels will not be delivered, and no new items will be accepted.

Thankyou for the update , not great news but nice to be updated

Message 2 of 76
latest reply

Finally they are saying something about it......

Message 3 of 76
latest reply

Thanks for the notice. There's also a statement on the Canada Post website. I guess I'll go back on vacation mode. The "50% off final value fees" offer I received (on only 5 items though) won't make me change my mind.

Message 4 of 76
latest reply

Can someone interpret what 'possible' means in the headline? If they've issued the 72-hour notice, doesn't it move from 'possible' into firm 'eventual' territory? http://globalnews.ca/news/2803505/canada-post-issues-72-hour-notice-to-union/

Oh, and I posted this link elsewhere as well, but Canada Post is subject to public review right now. State your opinion here http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/examendepostescanada-canadapostreview/index-eng.html?pk_campaign=cdnsit...

Message 5 of 76
latest reply

An agreement between management and labour union could be reached in the meantime.

Message 6 of 76
latest reply

How is that likely if everything up to and including this moment has failed? The 72-hour notice is the OK Corral equivalent to saying 'it's on at high noon'. 

Message 7 of 76
latest reply

The thing that worries me is that the escalation increases the risk of "misadventure" to items in the mailstream.

This concern prompted me (finally in some folks eye's I'm sure) to close my store earlier this morning.
Message 8 of 76
latest reply

I can see how threat of a looming lockout may increase employee resentment in coming days and accelerate the 'accident' rates at work. Like, 'I accidentally backed my mail truck into the river, sorry.'

Message 9 of 76
latest reply

A strike may not start on Friday.

But if you read things correctly....on Friday there is no contract between Canada Post and CUPW

and without a contract  Canada Post can do whatever it wants....

and that should scare CUPW ...They can have a job   but anything can happen.......

Message 10 of 76
latest reply

Alternatively, Canada Post has a business with no one to run it in 72 hours. Are the suits going to leave their towers to sort mail and drive trucks? I don't get it. 

Message 11 of 76
latest reply

The CP announcement means that on Friday, if no agreement is reached, then they have the option of locking the workers out at any time, which they will probably do immediately, unless an agreement looks at the very least imminent.

I wish CUPW would put the CP offer to a vote.  I know the union members have already had a strike vote but they have not voted on the 'final offer' itself.  The sobering prospect of being without an income for 2, 3, 4 months or more, may make them agreeable to CP's offer.

It's one thing to give your Union bosses a strike mandate so they have more negotiating power, it's quite another to have your income cut off when your car payments, mortgages etc still have to be paid.

What I really wish is that we lived in a country where something as archaic as postal disruptions didn't exist any longer.  It's ridiculous.  Third World countries have postal disruptions....Canada is one of the premiere countries in the world and should be well beyond this.

All that is needed is binding arbitration.   A fair arbitrator can be appointed and his/her word would be final.  Fair settlement and no disruption of services to 33 million people (who, at the moment, are apparently less important than 50,000 postal workers....do I need to quote Spock?)

Message 12 of 76
latest reply

What would happen if postal workers were no longer allowed to strike...Never ever again...

Is the postal service required to the point where no one would be allowed to strike?

Is the postal service an absolute requirement. 365 days a year?

Does a  constant increase in  on-line sales justify saying that postal services are an absolute requirement?

There are a lot  of questions.... a lot of ... What Ifs....

Should we live with the threat of a postal strike every 4 to 5 years

Message 14 of 76
latest reply

if there was a viable alternative to Canada Post, then I would agree that they should have the right to strike.  But it is essentially a monopoly and a very important service for many Canadians.   Couriers are not a viable alternative, anymore than taxi cabs are a viable alternative during a public transit strike.  Both perform a similar function but offer a completely different type of service..

Binding arbitration almost always favours the union workers.  It is a viable alternative to postal disruptions in which everyone loses (company, workers and public).   Even if the work stoppage is only a month, CP will lose a significant amount of revenue plus probably a percentage of their customer base, the union employees will lose on average $4000 pay each and thousands of small businesses across the country will lose up to a full month's revenue.

A long postal work stoppage will have a negative impact on Canada's GDP at a time when the country is already reeling from the drop in oil and other commodities. 

I'm not supporting CP in this....far from it.  I have been very vocal in my criticisms of Chopra.  I'm critical of the fact that work stoppages are permitted....a postal service, even more than a public transit service, is far too important to allow a prolonged work stoppage.

Message 15 of 76
latest reply

This is contact information for the Canada Post Review Task Force. Everything that ebay sellers have been saying to ourselves about the impending strike/lockout, cost of tracking, speed of service et cetera can now be submit to:

Submit general comments to the Task Force

Send your comments on postal services by:

Message 16 of 76
latest reply

Through social media

Join the discussion on:

Message 17 of 76
latest reply

England, France, Germany, and Spain are 'First World' countries.

Message 18 of 76
latest reply

That was his point.

Message 19 of 76
latest reply

All EU countries agreed to end the incumbant monoply on mail.  So they know if there is any prolonged strike there is at least the possiblity of a competitor stepping in.  The problem is public service who hold a monopoly that can hold the public hostage.  Though thsoe like police who have binding arbitration instead of right to strike have managed to increase their salaries even faster then the rest

We don't like the mails trike, but at this point few are seriously  affected now.  The big ecommerce sites stated switching from CP weeks ago.  They'll still deliver social assistance cheques (that could be direct deposited anyway).  Anyone who really needed to ail soemthing could pay the courier fee to get it there

Message 20 of 76
latest reply