Preventing a defect when granting a refund...

Happy Tuesday evening! Looking for a bit of help. I will be granting a refund shortly and I really am confused as to how to proceed without getting a defect. Normally I wouldn't bother with the FVF however I will with this refund. I was advised by eBay's customer service via phone to have the buyer file a "Item not as described", give the refund and a defect wouldn't not occur. BUT, this is not the reason why the item is being returned; buyer found a similar item she likes better (which I have no problem at all with it being returned). Does this advice seem nonsensical to anyone? In the past after granting a refund, I'd initiate a "cancel transaction" with 'buyer & seller agreed to cancel'. However after reading a few comments in the discussion boards and then given this, what seems to me, ridiculous advice by customer service, I am anxious to do anything! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Lorraine
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Preventing a defect when granting a refund...

Do NOT have the buyer file an item not as described - that will get you a defect! If the buyer has changed her mind, then have her return the item to you, letting her know in advance that you will refund as soon as you have received the item and that you will be sending her a cancellation notice. Make sure that you let her know that the cancellation notice will not affect her in any way but to please agree to it as soon as she receives it. Don't say buyer and seller agreed to cancel, just say the truth, that the buyer requested a  cancellation because she changed her mind.

Not sure though if you have to do the cancellation first now, I seem to remember reading that the cancellation comes first, then the refund since the rules have changed but that doesn't seem right. Personally, I always refunded then requested the cancellation. Possibly someone else can answer that question?

Please let us know how this turns out for you. Good luck!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You should absolutely NOT ask the buyer to file for "Not as Described".  Whoever gave you this information either did not understand your question or was poorly informed themselves about the new defect system.  If the buyer does this, you'll get an immediate (and probably irreversible) defect.

Tell the buyer you'll happily refund, and that you'll follow up right away with a cancellation request -- you should probably ask them to let you know if they'd like to cancel, then you have it on record.  Make sure they understand that the request will come through eBay, not directly from you, and that although the word "dispute" may appear in the title, it is not a dispute (heaven only knows why eBay has to include that word in the cancellation subject line).  Let the buyer know that as soon as they agree to the cancellation the transaction will be closed and there will be no further obligation on their part. 

I would send the refund before the cancellation.  The reason is that if you attempt a cancellation first, the buyer could become suspicious that you are trying to close the transaction without refunding, and you might risk having the buyer refuse the cancellation.  Also, refunding cheerfully first is encouragement to make the buyer happy, and most buyers, once they are refunded, will gladly agree to a cancellation.  Just make sure you follow up with the cancellation promptly after refunding, otherwise you may find your buyer will forget to come back and deal with it, leaving you with a 7-day wait before you can cancel the transaction yourself.

When you process the cancellation, you'll see a pop-up screen that asks you to give the buyer a reason for wanting to cancel the transaction.  By all means, in this case choose the option "Buyer purchased item by mistake or changed mind", as this (according to eBay) should not result in a defect.  I believe (if I recall correctly), you have to first make the selection that the buyer and seller have agreed to the cancellation. 

By the way, some sellers seem to be reporting that refunds (for any reason) are generating automatic defects.  The eBay.ca have assured us that a proper cancellation after a refund will remove/prevent such a defect, but I'm not sure I have total faith in that assurance.  You might want to check your defect figures come August 20th to make sure that eBay has not actually recorded a defect against you for this transaction, and call them if they have.  While you deal with this buyer, ensure that all your messages to the buyer are done through eBay Messages so that the communications are available within eBay.  And remember that even after a cancellation the buyer can still leave feedback, so keep messages bright and friendly.  Best of luck!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

As others have said, refund then send a mutual cancellation with the choice of buyer changed mind. I haven't heard of this causing a defect lately and haven't had that problem although I have cancelled transactions. I really don't think that it will cause a defect but if it did,you would see it within a few days and could get it taken of.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

What PJ and Rose said.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you Rose-dee so very much..for the the great advice/explanation and especially taking the time! 
Lorraine

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks PJ ever so much...so very much appreciated!

Lorraine

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually eBay's new insane policy about "defect" is totally insane and off the walls!!

When we buy anything from stores like Wal-Mart, etc., and went home and found it is not what I want or any problems and we return them to the store, do we including Wal-Mart get "defect"??  NOT!!  So why the heck should eBay develop this insane policy in the first place???!!!  Duh to eBay!!!

Very simple for eBay:  JUST REMOVE THIS FRICKING INSANE POLICY FOR DEFECT IMMEDIATLEY!! 

We don't need any more grief by eBay at any time!!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply