Question about GSP (Global Shipping Program)

Is there anyone here with actual knowledge and experience of handling goods through GPS?

If an American seller subscribes to GSP, a Canadian buyer purchases an item and pays for it....  As an American seller.....

What do I do now? Exactly?  Step-by-step?

First I package the item - makes sense.

Then I address it to Pitney Bowes US Distribution Centre.  If sent by mail do I affix the stamps (or label) on the package?

What does Pitney Bowes do with it upon receipt?

How does Pitney Bowes know to whom and where to ship that parcel to the buyer in Canada?

Does the seller include an invoice with the parcel?

Does the seller include a label to the Canadian buyer with the parcel?

Does the seller double pack everything with the outside package addressed to Pitney-Bowes and the inside package addressed to the  buyer in Canada?

Does the seller determine and advise Pitney Bowes of the value for Canada Customs purposes?

What if the item is small and can be sent in a regular envelope?  Double pack again?

Maybe staffers at eBay - having purchased goods from American sellers through GSP -  have a few answers to these questions.  It would be nice to hear from them.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

marnotom!
Community Member

Uh, Pierre?  Wouldn't it make more sense to post this on the .com boards where you're more likely to find a U.S. seller who can answer those questions?  😉

At any rate, I've sent a private message to a U.S. seller who's used the GSP a few times in the hopes he can come over here and answer some of your questions.

Patience.  🙂

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Many US sellers do visit these boards and it would be nice to get information on what Canadian buyers actually see or are informed by their sellers.

We have seen many questions raised.  Often assumptions are made such as repackaging by PB for example.  Many of these questions can be answered if those with actual experience of the program offer what they saw without the unfortunate usual editorial.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Then I address it to Pitney Bowes US Distribution Centre.  If sent by mail do I affix the stamps (or label) on the package?

Yes, the ship to address in the sales record will be

Buyer Name

1850 Airport Exchange Blvd #200

Erlanger KY 41018 US

Ship as it were a domestic package & write the eBay item number on the package. I always enclose a packing slip with my return address.

PB sends it on to the buyer through their already established logistics network, which in some case might include a postal system or a sub-contractor. 

How does Pitney Bowes know to whom and where to ship that parcel to the buyer in Canada?

The buyer is billed for the item cost + domestic shipping as one entry & for GSP charges in another. The seller receives the 1st amount & PB receives the sencond aloing with the buyers shipping address. PB matches the eBay item number to the package & knows what the actual shipping address is.

I include a packing slip as a safe guard

No - as a matter of fact, the seller doesn't have the buyers address.

Does the seller double pack everything with the outside package addressed to Pitney-Bowes and the inside package addressed to the  buyer in Canada?

No same answer as above

Does the seller determine and advise Pitney Bowes of the value for Canada Customs purposes?

No PB is the agent & makes that determination using the transaction value (sell price) as the declared value. The seller never sees what the buyer paid at checkout (but can see the estimate in the listing)

What if the item is small and can be sent in a regular envelope?  Double pack again?

Interesting question. There's a max weight & size given for GSP but not a minimum. By the agreement, all the seller has to meet are the domestic mailing standards & I see nothing that would preclude me from mailing as a USPS First  Class letter, flat or parcel if the item meets the specific USPS standard. In practice, I'm a bit cynical & would likely go with package rates rather than save a few cents. No need to to double pack unless it's to protect the item.

Hope that helps.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thank you Kari.  Really appreciate getting some factual information from someone with experience with the program.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks, Larry!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You're welcome

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have another question.

Does PB know exactly what is supposed to be in the package? what is the max?

What if the seller bought 3 items and I combined them in one package. (maybe PB was the choice for all 3)

I have a seller that bought and paid normal international shipping on 2 items and 1 going to pb.

how would pb know what to or not to forward on, If I sent all three things to them?

I'm thinking flat rate box to KY for all, and maybe returning the extra shipping to the buyer

@kariandlarrysales wrote:

Yes, the ship to address in the sales record will be

Buyer Name

1850 Airport Exchange Blvd #200

Erlanger KY 41018 US

Ship as it were a domestic package & write the eBay item number on the package. I always enclose a packing slip with my return address.

PB sends it on to the buyer through their already established logistics network, which in some case might include a postal system or a sub-contractor. 

The buyer is billed for the item cost + domestic shipping as one entry & for GSP charges in another. The seller receives the 1st amount & PB receives the sencond aloing with the buyers shipping address. PB matches the eBay item number to the package & knows what the actual shipping address is.

I include a packing slip as a safe guard

No - as a matter of fact, the seller doesn't have the buyers address.

No same answer as above

No PB is the agent & makes that determination using the transaction value (sell price) as the declared value. The seller never sees what the buyer paid at checkout (but can see the estimate in the listing)

Interesting question. There's a max weight & size given for GSP but not a minimum. By the agreement, all the seller has to meet are the domestic mailing standards & I see nothing that would preclude me from mailing as a USPS First  Class letter, flat or parcel if the item meets the specific USPS standard. In practice, I'm a bit cynical & would likely go with package rates rather than save a few cents. No need to to double pack unless it's to protect the item.

Hope that helps.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I did see this on ebay

The Global Shipping Program simplifies selling an item to an international buyer. All eligible listings for sellers who qualify are automatically included in the Global Shipping Program. Here's how it works:

• List your item.

• Your item sells to an international buyer in an eligible country.

• You ship the item to a US shipping center.

• International shipping experts manage the international shipping and customs process and send the item to the buyer.

Eligibility

Your eligibility for the Global Shipping Program:

• You must have a US seller rating of standard or above.

• You're responsible for your compliance with all applicable laws and regulations under the eBay User Agreement.

Your item's eligibility for the Global Shipping Program:

• The item must be physically located in the US.

• The item must be listed for sale on eBay.com.

• The item must be listed in a category that is supported by the Global Shipping Program.

• PayPal must be included as an accepted payment method in the listing.

• The delivery address must be a residence or street address, not a P.O. Box, FPO or APO address. (Exception: P.O. Box addresses in Canada are fine.)

• The package must not weigh more than 66 lbs.

• The package must not exceed 66 inches in length.

• The package must not exceed the maximum dimensions of 118 inches.

Dimensions = length + girth (the length of a string wrapped around the 2 smaller sides)

• The package must not exceed the maximum dimensional (DIM) weight of 66 lbs. Dimensional weight = (length x width x height) / (dimensional factor) where the dimensional factor = 166.

• An item's sale price, excluding shipping and handling, must not be more than:

• $500 when shipping to the Philippines

• $1,000 when shipping to Mexico

• $1,350 when shipping to Russia

• $2,500 when shipping to all other countries

• If an auction-style listing ends with a final sale price, excluding shipping and handling, of more than the maximum allowed for the country to which you're shipping, you're responsible for arranging alternate international shipping, and compliance with applicable US export rules, regulations, and procedures.

• Auction-style listings, with or without a Buy It Now option, aren’t eligible for shipment to Russia through the Global Shipping Program. For these types of listings, you're responsible for arranging alternate international shipping, and compliance with applicable US export rules, regulations, and procedures.

• The item must not be ineligible, illegal, hazardous, subject to export restrictions, prohibited by eBay, or prohibited by the Global Shipping Program. See the eBay User Agreement and the Global Shipping Program policies and FAQs for complete details.

As a seller, you don't need to determine if your items are eligible for the Global Shipping Program. Eligible items are automatically shown to buyers in eligible countries.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply