Question about shipping

submitoffice.com
Community Member
Hi every powerseller,

Which shipping service you are using now?
Which shipping service I can stop and call it back?
Recently, lot of buyer want to ship the product to unconfirmed address. I tried canadapost with the tracking number, they can't stop it and return it back, does any shipping serives can do it?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Question about shipping

whoscloset
Community Member
UPS and yes.
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Question about shipping

For our first year as sellers on eBay, we used CP exclusively. As we watched their services deteriorate, delivery times become sporadic, we looked into UPS & Fed-Ex. As UPS did not seem to care one way or the other for our business, we opted for Fed-Ex. And we could not have been happier.

We have received excellent service, amazing delivery times, personable front office staff, etc. How does Toronto to PA, USA, picked up here on Monday morning and delivered (regular ground service) to our client in PA, USA on Wed afternoon sound? Yes, yes, that was an exception but, true. Outside of Texas and California, everything arrives within a week. CP Expedited Service was taking 8-13 days and would claim that it "was not a guaranteed service (although their rates were such that it SHOULD HAVE BEEN GUARANTEED)

And yes, they will re-direct shipments. Did I mention the fantastic discount they give us? The daily pick up for the whopping fee of $6 a week? No I don't work for Fed-Ex
however, if you are shipping enough larger parcels (20 lbs+), you owe it to yourself to call them up, speak to a rep, and see if it will work for you. Sadly, if you ship mostly under 1 or 2 kg parcels, CP still has the best rates, otherwise, check out Fed-Ex, or UPS or DHL, etc.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Question about shipping

Care to share what your discount structure is, snoopwiz, along with your volume that got these rates? Thanks.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Question about shipping

Hi. We do not ship a lot of parcels (range from 6-10 per week) 70% are in the 20-25 lb range. The balance are in the 25-50 lb range. Its the girth and weight that I believe entitled us to our discount. When we first started, they offered us 15%, we asked for 20%, the dug their feet in and basically said that we can review in 90 days. Fair enough.

We agreed, signed up at the 15% rate and contacted them 91 days later, pleaded our case and now receive 20% across the board.

Almost as important is the stealth postage. Only you know how much the shipping actually cost you. Its your call whether to pass this discount on to your customer or not.

The courier business is a VERY competitive business. They want your business and WILL work with you to ensure they get it. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Question about shipping

Yeah, I'm getting the same with FedEx, 20% across the board domestic and USA Ground. They still can't touch Canada Post though, and with this upcoming cancellation of the PowerSeller discount, I've contacted Purolator to see what they can do for me.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Question about shipping

Javax.Swing I'm not sure what size/weight packages you ship however, unless its under 5 lbs, EVERY comparison I have used, puts Fed-Ex substantially less expensive (discounts included) Add the great phone support, much more detailed on-line tracking, the pick up service, the (usually) faster delivery times, I just don't see going back to CP anytime soon.

I do admit that the paper-work involved in shipping electronics from Canada to the US to be more time consuming using Fed-Ex as opposed to CP, the discounts more than balance that equation. Please let us know how you fare with UPS or whoever else you contact.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Question about shipping

Residential surcharge of $2, plus signature costing $3 (instead of $1.50 at CP) is already $3.50 higher than CP completely ignoring the rates themselves. Plus, up to $10 rural area surcharge in areas that really aren't all that rural.

I do ship mostly lighter items in Canada and heavy ones to the US, so that's my basis for sticking to CP while I can.

The paperwork is actually easy to do. I can generate a FedEx Ground shipping to the States faster than I can a domestic one with Canada Post. If you don't have it, get the FedEx Ship Manager desktop (offline) software mailed to you...once you setup the defaults, it's extremely fast. Plus, support for thermal printers.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply