Recent Increase to USPS First Class Shipping Rates to Canada - IMPORTANT!

I'm a high volume Ebay buyer, and buy almost everything exclusively online primarily through Ebay.  Most items I have bought are clothing for my daughter and most recently a ton of Christmas ornaments - over 50 packages.  I contacted Ebay to discuss the increase in USPS first class postal rates to Canada under 4 lbs and explained the average shipping cost was $4-7 US.  It's now almost double!!  Is anyone else on Ebay concerned about this from either a buyer or seller point of view? 

I think the USPS is greedy considering both sides of the border the economy hasn't recovered and business is hurting.  Having a postal increase - doubled certainly is a way to hinder if not kill business. 

What are sellers doing to entice buyers to shop with them?  What can a buyer do to alleviate some of the excess financial hardship associated to excess shipping costs?  Would it be fair to ask the seller to split or absorb some of the increase??? 

Thoughts???

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Recent Increase to USPS First Class Shipping Rates to Canada - IMPORTANT!

They are not greedy - they are slowly going broke. Here is a cut and paste for you:

"We are currently losing $25 million per day," Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe warned earlier this month. The agency lost nearly $16 billion in its last fiscal year, and its line of credit with the U.S. Treasury is tapped out.

If lawmakers don't act, it could run out of money "between six months and a year at most," said Richard Geddes, associate professor of policy analysis and management at Cornell University.

"There could be a period when mail is not being delivered," said Michael Crew, director of the Center for Research in Regulated Industries, and professor of regulatory economics at Rutgers University."

They still deliver mail on Saturdays for Pete's sake. Their labour rates pension plan and benefits are killing them.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 2 of 58
latest reply

Yeesh, I don't know what to say...just seems to be a lose-lose-lose all around...Maybe, it might not have an impact on other buyers if they want something bad enough off Ebay...I guess it will depend on person to person since its a subjective matter. 

Thanks for sharing this information and your insight...

Message 3 of 58
latest reply

*aurora-*-borealis*
Community Member

Hi there!  I'm with you.  The days of finding bargains on Ebay seem to be gone... or will at least decrease (you can still get some good deals with low to no shipping fees from other countries including our own :D).  However, I think Ebay's shipping calculator might be overestimating the shipping cost as well.  See my thread here titled "Display of some shipping fees are wonky".

Message 4 of 58
latest reply

kashka
Community Member

USPS is not the only greedy one..Canada Post has just eliminated the cheapest method of shipping to the USA also.So now..not only will I not be buying on Ebay from our southern neighbours,neither will I be selling to them.Funny..I always thought it was Ebay and their inane weekly changes would be the demise of my activity on Ebay but I guess USPS/Canada Post will be the culprit.And yes..to me it is greed..one would think that over the years as parcel volume increased that should mean more revenue and business for the two entities and naturally one would think more profit..one would think.And the companies would want to keep the parcels flowing  thru the system by making their services attractive to customers therefore increasing profits.

But..no..obviously it's either inept management or again..just pure plain greed.So..in the long run..more and more people will quit (or really..have their businesses destroyed) by this..quit selling and shipping thru them..then their management will have to raise rates more and more to make up for lost volume.Typical corporation mentality.

I am going to give it one last shot and list this week and check the results to see if its worth it.But I think it will be a fruitless endeavor as ..seriously...I cannot see anyone wanting to pay these cross border shipping rates.I DO know I won't be buying anymore. I have been a buyer/seller since '98 and until the last 3 years I really enjoyed doing both..Frankly I am just tired of always changing/adapting every month to the Ebay changes and the yearly rate gouge from Canada Post.And I do really feel for those who have come to depend on this avenue of business for their income.

Message 5 of 58
latest reply

xen999
Community Member

I'm glad someone brought this up. I'm been in a foul mood in the last few days because of this.

I'm a toy collector so I regulary buy action figures of all kind, but also small parts, accessories and the like to complete or customize certain toys. Nearly all my purchases are made through eBay or fansites, and 95% of them deal with US sellers. I have no choice since these toys are all american released and most get very poor distribution in Canada (a lot don't even make it here at all), so they are simply more readily available across the borders. So you can imagine how cold of a shower the recent increase of first class has been to someone like me. I've seen some shipping quotes jump from 2-3$ to 8-10$ for small plastic parts or figures, it's absurd. I've reached a point where I'm not sure I can absorb such an increase... You know, toy pricing is going up, shipping is going up, but my incomes certainly are not. This has definitely got me rethinking my collecting habits...

Message 6 of 58
latest reply

One has to wonder on the logic behind this increase. Yes; they are going broke, and most cunstomers would accept a 5% incease, complain about a 10% one, but throwing in a 90% and up price increase is just going to kill international shipping dead. Too much of an increase to absorb at once, and its going to hurt both USPS and anyone who sells internationally.

And I sure hope eBay is wonky as well; I have been looking today; and to buy a 6" sticker now has a shipping cost of 7$; to buy a book, 21$. For these shipping prices; I can drive to the nearest mall, buy new AND have a meal while there, and still come out ahead.

This is just a huge mess all around.

Message 7 of 58
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I have been buying over 200+ things from USA yearly and one of the sellers informed me that he no longer can ship any books to Canada at reasonable rates, have to use Priority Mail which is about 2-4 times higher. 

I guess I will be starting to buying less this year because of insane huge increase.

USPS just put nails to their coffins by increasing way too high and they are going to go broke more than ever.  They were supposed to stop deliver on Saturday but apparently they must have changed their mind, possible due to huge complaints from the customers and video stores that deliver on Saturdays which is insane.  They need to accept and adjust without Saturdays.

That goes the same with Canada Post.

Message 8 of 58
latest reply

That increase shocked me as well. I thought I was the only one!! I was searching for video game stuff and for something so light the cost was unbelievable to ship. For the first time in a long time I hit the only in Canada button to search and find lower shipping costs. Perhaps they're paying their employees too much? Didn't they just go on strike to make more money? They deliver mail I don't think they should be paid as much as they do. Most new neighborhoods I've lived in have gotten the super boxes so they don't really even need to walk anymore. They just drive from box to box, open it and stuff the mail in. It's not really that tough of a job in my opinion. And one that doesn't require any schooling either and yet they make wages that are equal to people that have college and university degrees under their belt. Cuts have to be made somewhere and it should be within the company. They shouldn't be making up money lost by gouging people.

Message 9 of 58
latest reply

desertrosegarden
Community Member

Yep, I'm glad I got the last of my Ebaying done before this increase in postage to Canada. When you consider the costs of postage, the counterfeits, Ebay and PayPal buyer ILLUSION of protection, and return shipping, its just not worth it. I can see maybe if you just don't have the item availability where you are, but all items I ordered, with the exception of limited edition items from the last 4 seasons, I can just go to the mall and buy, and probably get them cheaper too, without seller markup and shipping. I am fed up with Ebay in general and I have only been buying for a year and a half. I am closing my account as soon as I receive the last of it, I;m sure other buyers will agree, the shipping is just too much to justify buying.

Message 10 of 58
latest reply

*aurora-*-borealis*
Community Member

Hey guys, check out this article?

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y13/m02/i01/s05

Excerpt: 

But while there were such bright spots in the 2013 Postal changes, the questions reflected frustration with the relatively large jump in the international first class rate, now called "First Class Package International," which went up overall by 59.6%. One of the questioners said that since he sends a lot of low-weight items, between about three and 10 ounces, he was looking at an increase of more like 100% rather than 59%.

"Unfortunately, it's gut-wrenching to look at the new prices for First Class (Package) International," said Nash. Le Vine pointed out that eBay sellers were not being "picked on" with the new rate; it affects everyone using this service.

Another seller wanted to know if the reason First Class International "skyrocketed" so much was because delivery confirmation had been added?

Nash explained that this was not the reason, but it was rather a reflection of the "state the USPS is in,"

Now read this:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/15/us-postal-service-loses-159-billion/?page=all

Excerpt:

Despite nearly $16 billion in annual losses announced by the U.S. Postal Service on Thursday, all but one of the top five executives for the nation's mail service had an overall compensation increase this year, records show.

Unlike past years, when the Postal Service's politically appointed, bipartisan board of governors awarded executives lucrative deferred compensation deals and incentive bonuses, this year’s compensation increases came mostly in the form of pension plan earnings.

Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe for instance, earned a base salary of $276,840, but even without a bonus or incentive payout, his overall compensation came to $512,093, compared with $384,229 in 2011, according to regulatory filings.

Dave Partenheimer, a Postal Service spokesman, said the organization has more than a half-million workers and operates more than 32,000 locations. He said postal executive compensation lags compared with private-sector corporations.

“As we continue to adjust to a changing business environment, it’s important that we recruit and retain the forward-thinking leadership we need to continue to remain viable,” he said. “Compensation is important to that equation.”

Unlike most private companies, however, the Postal Service has borrowed billions of dollars from the U.S. Treasury and has a legal monopoly over first-class mail service.

Total compensation for top postal executives is capped at $276,840, based on a rule that executives can’t earn more than 120 percent of the salary of the vice president of the United States. But the board of governors, which approves executive compensation for the Postal Service, can authorize hundreds of thousands of dollars in deferred compensation payments. 

The Washington Times reported last year, for instance, that retired Postmaster General John E. Potter, now chief executive of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, was still owed more than $800,000 in deferred compensation payments with payouts scheduled over a decade.

Looks like the few at the top have been hoarding most of the US Postal Service pie.  No wonder they've got a deficit.  Is it greed?  You tell me. 😉 

Message 11 of 58
latest reply

I have learned to deal with all the crazy changes that happen and this one has been coming for awhile now..

Rates go up all the time and My opinion is Canadians will now help out our own economy a little more ...

Before a buyer could get shipping with tracking cheaper from the US then they could from a Canadian seller I think this change just sets things right ...

Message 12 of 58
latest reply

Looks like the few at the top have been hoarding most of the US Postal Service pie.  No wonder they've got a deficit.  Is it greed?  You tell me. 😉 

$500,000 for an executive of a large corporation like USPS is peanuts. How much do you think the UPS and FedEx executives make?

To keep high level executives, you need to pay something that will attract good people and keep them.

UPS CEO was paid millions

UPS CEO Scott Davis was paid $9.5 million last year, a 73 percent ..

Seriously, do you think $500,000 is a lot compared to the the overall budget of USPS.

Maybe the problem with USPS is that they do not pay enough to get quality management to solve their problems, LOL!

Message 13 of 58
latest reply

kashka
Community Member

I would be more than willing to drive a company in to the ground for a way less than half a mil.Where do I sign up?

Message 14 of 58
latest reply

*aurora-*-borealis*
Community Member

$500,000 for an executive of a large corporation like USPS is peanuts. How much do you think the UPS and FedEx executives make?

To keep high level executives, you need to pay something that will attract good people and keep them.

UPS CEO was paid millions

UPS CEO Scott Davis was paid $9.5 million last year, a 73 percent ..

That's what they were complaining about. That "executive compensation lags compared with private-sector corporations". But come on, they're certainly not doing poorly and yet they want more. If they want more, they should go work for a private company like UPS or FedEx or get some back from their government holdings instead of increasing prices. Moreover, most of the earnings of that UPS's CEO was paid in stock awards, not salary or even pension plan earnings. Is there a USPS stock?.....

Speaking of stocks: http://seekingalpha.com/article/853821-long-term-post-office-troubles-bound-to-benefit-fedex-and-ups-shares

There's very little in USPS' "Plan to Profitability" about Express or Priority Mail, the post office's most serious threats to the private sector. Package shipping altogether brought in $10.6 billion in revenues for USPS in the last nine months, up almost 10% from a year earlier, mainly because of booming e-commerce sales; thank you, Amazon. But amping up those products to take advantage of the trend would require investing in them, and the post office doesn't have any money. Congress isn't likely to allocate any investment money either.

FedEx and UPS, on the other hand, are very good at making big capital investments that pay off. Although buying, maintaining and fueling huge fleets of planes and trucks are expensive, YCharts Pro gives both companies great marks for managing their balance sheets well. UPS has had big share buybacks that help its return on invested capital skew higher, but both companies have achieved good results even while business conditions weren't optimal.

Seriously, do you think $500,000 is a lot compared to the the overall budget of USPS.

Did I say that's what I thought? No. And just to point out, that was only an example of one USPS executive, and the $500,000 compensation was on top of his base salary of $276,840. That was also a special year. In former years, they were given "lucrative deferred compensation deals and incentive bonuses". According to this article http://seekingalpha.com/article/260635-could-ups-and-fedex-replace-the-postal-service USPS has actually had higher revenues than FedEx and UPS (years 2006-2010), but their earnings suffered. Why?

"while the GAO concedes that the USPS has made significant strides in reducing overall expenses, it maintains that "USPS has had difficulty significantly reducing its compensation and benefits costs." The GAO specifically cites employee compensation and benefits as being particularly burdensome on the organization, stating that wages and benefits comprise roughly 80% of all costs to the USPS. Wages and benefits at UPS and FDX, by comparison, comprise about 58% and 42% of total expenses, respectively."

Moreover, deferred compensations can add up.
http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2012/pr12_131.htm

The U.S. Postal Service ended the 2012 fiscal year (Oct. 1, 2011 – Sept. 30, 2012) with a record net loss of $15.9 billion, compared to a net loss of $5.1 billion for the same period last year. The loss included expenses of $11.1 billion related to two payments to prefund retiree health benefits.

In sum, it's not so much that the executives (or other employees) at USPS isn't getting

Message 15 of 58
latest reply

aimnabby, I know what you mean! As a buyer, it will really hurt my budget! Before the increase, a 9 oz package was sent First Class Mail for $4.90. Now, according to the USPS website, it is $9.15. That is more than 100% increase! Totally insane if you tell me... 😞

Message 16 of 58
latest reply

Correction: NOT more than 100%, but a little less than 100%. Sorry... I wish there was a "revise" button on this board...

Message 17 of 58
latest reply

lol, where I live, we have no saturday delivery, no door to door (but we are lucky because we at least have a box at the post office and not out in one of the postal metal boxes where your lock freezes or someone cuts it off) and our post office closes for lunch.  And here I am just gratefull to get my mail in less than a month - darned tootin the USPS could do without Saturday delivery, and customers could 'accustom' themselves to M-F if it would help keep USPS afloat.

Message 18 of 58
latest reply

*aurora-*-borealis*
Community Member

Oops, got cut off in my previous post. Meant to say:

In sum, it's not so much that the executives (or other employees) at USPS aren't getting enough pay or are mis-managing things, it's the US government's policies that's blipping them over and squirreling away their money (and then some) and now us consumers are footing the bill. What's sad is that what used to be the most economical means of sending a light weight package internationally (i.e. first class international mail) seems to be the hardest hit (with some seeing over 100% increase). Such a shame.....

Message 19 of 58
latest reply

altiude
Community Member

What catches my eye is people are not saying we’re going to ship with someone else. There is the issue. They were, and still are in many cases, the lowest cost shipper.

Message 20 of 58
latest reply