Refund Excluding Shipping

I issued a refund for an item that was returned but I accidentally refunded the shipping as well.  While I won't be asking back for the shipping can someone tell me how to issue a return excluding the shipping?

When I went to Paypal it combined the item and shipping amount so I didn't have the option to enter the amount I wanted to refund.

Thank you!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You can change that amount.

Do you have it stated in your listings that you don't refund original shipping costs in the case of a return?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Do you have it stated in your listings that you don't refund original shipping costs in the case of a return?

Aww yes!!  I guess I did it so quickly I didn't notice the box to enter the amount.

Yes, I do have that in my listings.

Thank you!!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Remember if you do not refund full amount you get stuck without being able to cancel so you still will have to pay the full ebay fees.. Paypal will refund fees charged but not ebay

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@greenmangoes wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Aww yes!!  I guess I did it so quickly I didn't notice the box to enter the amount.

Yes, I do have that in my listings.

Thank you!!

I checked a few of your listings and I don't see any mention of it within your description or in the return policy area. You should have it with your return policy.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Hi there,

Thanks for checking it out....

On the right of the picture of the product it says: Shipping, Delivery, Payments, Coverage and Returns.

My Returns says: "7 day money back, buyer pays return shipping |  See details"  When you click on "See Details" it says: "Returns are accepted but Buyer MUST pay return shipping."

Thanks!!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

brandeentertainment:

"Remember if you do not refund full amount you get stuck without being able to cancel so you still will have to pay the full ebay fees.."

Can you please clarify this a bit?  Are you saying that if I do not give a full refund eBay will prevent me from cancelling the purchase?

Thanks!!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

"Buyer MUST pay return shipping"

That is more or less standard policy with eBay/PayPal.

However, when you refund the buyer for something being returned, it suggests you give a full refund, including the original shipping charge to the buyer.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

OK I see what you are saying... Funny how things can seem to make sense until....

I guess I will reword that.

Thanks!!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

"I guess I will reword that."

Frankly, it does not matter how you reword it.

If you accept PayPal and the buyer files a claim for "not as described", PayPal will refund the buyer the full amount of the original transaction, including the shipping charge and will charge your account accordingly.  Whatever disclaimer you may have in your listings are largely irrelevant and will only serve to work against you in the mind of many potential buyers.

Would you buy anything from a seller stating: "Even if the goods are defective, I will not refund you the original shipping charge"?

I would not nor would millions of other potential buyers. This is why eBay advertises its protection policy for full refund including the shipping charge.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

OK I am trying to understand so please bear with me.

I would definitely give a refund if the problem is from my end, eg: wrong info, defective product, etc...  That just makes sense...

But if they are returning the item because of any other reason why would the seller give them back the money they paid to ship it to them?  Again I am only trying to understand.

From my experience I have always paid the shipping for items I return, unless it was the company's fault.

Thanks!!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

"I have always paid the shipping for items I return"

There is some confusion here.

There are TWO shipping charges.

1) the original charge from the seller to the buyer - paid by the buyer to the seller at time of original transaction

2) the charge from the returning buyer to the seller - paid by the buyer to his/her post office

Yes, buyers are responsible to pay the shipping charge when returning an item.  Some sellers will reimburse the buyer if they were at fault although eBay/PayPal policy does not require such refund of the return shipping charge.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply