Refund of duty charges?

After trying to get a certificate of authenticity for insurance purposes I was told my $700.00 diamond gold necklace was bogus.

The seller took it back and refunded my money but I had to pay $100.00 duty upon arrival of piece originally? How do I get my Duty back?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Refund of duty charges?

marnotom!
Community Member

How was the item shipped?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Refund of duty charges?

It came in the mail? Thanks

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Refund of duty charges?

You'll need to fill out and send off a form B2G: CBSA Informal Adjustment Request.

You can find a PDF of the form online here.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g.pdf

I hope you still have the original documentation from CBSA stating how much tax (and duty, if it really applies) you were charged.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Refund of duty charges?

Yes I do
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Refund of duty charges?

@porter9468 wrote:
Yes I do

Okay, then you'd send that (or a copy of it) plus that form plus any documenation you can put together that demonstrates that the item was returned to from where it was sent.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Refund of duty charges?

Great! Send it where?
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Refund of duty charges?

Addresses are on the "back" (or second page) of the document to which I linked you.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Refund of duty charges?

Thank you very much for your time! Have a great day....
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Refund of duty charges?

For a much simpler way check out www.duty-back.com

You simply fill out some basic information on an online form and they prepare the B2G form and can electronically transfer you the money back. A great business worth checking out especially if you frequently shop cross-border.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Refund of duty charges?

I would rather fill out the forms myself and keep the 35% fee that duty-back charges.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply