Request for more money after purchase made

I won a bid on an item, which also had shipping charges.  I paid for it, then the seller contacted me and requested I pay more money for shipping than what was advertised.  Has anyone had that before?  I know it is hard sometimes to calculate shipping charges and I myself have made miscalculations and had to take the loss.  I have never contacted a buyer and ask that they pay more shipping than what was advertised.  Does this sort of thing happen a lot?  I was appalled by this and could not believe someone would do that.  Not very professional in my opinion. Is this common for sellers to do this?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

mcrlmn
Community Member

No it's not common, and unethical; particularly if the seller resorts to cancelling the order.

IMO the seller should have been more diligent, and is bound by the listing.

You pay as stipulated in the listing.

If you've paid and the item isn't shipped or doesn't arrive by eBay's estimate... Late shipping defect, negative feedback, and Item not received claim (not request) via PayPal.

You time is valuable, maybe the seller should start reimbursing you for that which he has already wasted, and most certainly that which is most likely forthcoming.

I've experienced a similar scenarios with sellers unhappy with the outcome of their auctions.

I have better things to do, and ran out of patience.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

We see a lot of reports of this, but that's probably because buyers faced with the practice are shocked.

You are only required to pay the invoiced amount.

Reply to your seller that you only purchased because the total price including the advertised shipping cost met your budget.

Ask for the tracking number** on the shipment and for the date of shipping and the service to be used. (Yes, that's an implied threat, but should be well within the bounds.)

Frankly, while shipping can be complicated, if the seller enters the weight and dimensions of the shipment correctly and then chooses the shipping service, the eBay Calculated Shipping program does all the work.*

Sellers who choose to enter a Flat Rate made their own beds, and must now lie in it.

* In Canada use metric dimensions. And don't be afraid to cross check with canadapost.ca and with your newly uploaded listing to see that a shipping amount shows for your chosen destinations.

** The tracking number is only useful to the Seller, of course, protecting her against unwarranted claims of non-delivery.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

This happens when sellers list something for less  than what they hoped to make or they were too lazy to figure out proper shipping charges. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I think the more Sellers out there that reply to you - the better! We shall all chime in and state VERY clearly - this is not acceptable nor is it a common practice (to ask the winning buyer for more money to cover their "oops!" on the shipping miscalculation). NEVER. But remember - is it his item till he ships it to you. He can easily just refund you and start again.

There are negative implications ahead of him if he does that though. Some sellers might care and others put the mighty buck ahead of positive feedback.

I have lost a few dollars by shipping miscalculations and have never once asked for more money - except in one case. Buyer was totally accepting because she had added so many more items to her parcel (went to the next level of postal costs due to weight).

Good luck on getting your item - I do hope this turns out positively for you.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply