Return Address on PayPal Shipping Labels

My mailman just told me something interesting this afternoon.  Evidently, some of the packages I have mailed have been directed to him for delivery to me.  It seems that some of the sorting machines read the return address first -- because it's on the left -- and determines I'm the addressee.  It doesn't matter that the print is smaller.  The mailman has been writing the word FROM in felt pen, circling my return address and dropping it back in the mail. 

He said this could add 2 or 3 days to the delivery time and wanted me to know that in case I've had complaints from people about slow delivery.  He suggested I clearly identify the Return Address on all future shipments.  I'm sure he's tired of doing this on my behalf.

Have any of you had this come up or were you aware of this?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

This must  be a problem unique to your post office.

The return address has  traditionally always been on the left.

No one else seems to have a problem.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Maybe Winnipeg has outdated sorting machines.  It's possible that it's only one machine that processes mail from my part of town.

It's a good thing I don't send out hundreds of parcels a month or else that would be a lot of work!!

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Why would the mailman not report this "in house" problem to his supervisor.  Why don't you as the sender call on the PO management. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I don't know that it could be called an in-house problem.  He said it was a sorting machine problem so I don't know if that's something that can be corrected by a supervisor.  And, again, I don't know the extent of the problem.  I just found about this so I haven't really had time to call anyone about it.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I have never heard of this problem, but I do habitually write From: in front of my address and To: in front of the buyer's address.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I have had about 5 package return to my mailbox. I now circle the delivery address with a marker pen, and have now had no problems for about 6 months.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

Yes I have had the same problem. I now circle the buyers address with a highlighter.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

So a few of you have been doing that.  Thanks a lot.  I'll start as well.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Obviously, as far as the post office is concerned, it's turned into rocket science.  

Someone send over 'Delivery for Dummies'....

( and use that highliter to highlight which end's up 😛 )

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

If the problem is caused by a sorting machine reading the return address, then highlighting the To: address should make no difference.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

That crossed my mind as soon as the mailman left.  So I'm thinking that maybe the sorting machine has 2 arms and 2 legs.  In any case, since several people have had packages returned, I don't mind playing it safe and highlighting the addressee.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

This is not a new problem. 

I mentioned this a few years back in this forum and others admitted to it happening to them. 

One solution is to affix the shipping label with packing tape as a form of protection from water and tearing. Then place one of those blue airmail stickers on top of most of the return address, hiding it from being read.  Should it be necessary for postal workers to read the return address, the sticker can be removed since it is affixed to tape and not the paper.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Then place one of those blue airmail stickers on top of most of the return address .....,

Good idea 🙂

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Yes I have had the same problem. I now circle the buyers address with a highlighter.

Same here.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Possibly  this problem is caused by some of  the   Liberal   Replacement worker program started by pierre Trudeau.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Manitoba, yeah I get my packages/parcels returned about 8 times last year.  After that I circle the address with blue highliner to get the post office's attention.  I do that on all packages expect Expedited and XpressPost for across Canada.  If they make mistakes with Expedited and XpressPost parcels and return them, tough luck to them when I would file a claim for a refund for a late delivery.  That ought to put them on their toes and do their jobs properly!

Message 17 of 17
latest reply