Returned mail for not using Capital letters? Anyone heard of this?

dreamcoll
Community Member
I had a buyer from the US tell me her payment was returned because she didn't use capital letters on the envelope. Her postman said it was a Canada rule. Has anybody had this happen?
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

jakeeangel
Community Member
I've never heard of it happening but I have heard someone on eBay Radio say that. It's hogwash! Someone is too damn lazy and returned it. There is no such rule at Canada Post or at USPS for having addresses capitalzied. They just have to be addressed properly.

Joe Blow
123 Your Street
Your Town, Province, Postal Code Country

I could well be wrong, but my understanding is that that's baloney. Her postie doesn't know what he's talking about.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

*stealthtech*
Community Member
Never neard of that and never had any issues before myself! ?:| Click to visit sell-ur-stuff.com

Click to visit sell-ur-stuff.com
http://pages.ebay.ca/theme/mystoryarchive/sean.html

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member
Never heard of it...have heard of quite a few Americans mailing payment to Canada with domestic postage rate though and being returned (or marked for return but still delivered fine)
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
I heard of this about a year ago. Don't know anyone it actually happened to and it sounds a bit far fetched.
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

If they are referring to the Canadian postal codes, they are supposed to be in capital letters, but I can't see them returning them if someone decides to use small caps. I had two customers recently who mailed payment and had it returned because they didn't pay the proper rate. In a previous job that I had many Americans would send postage paid return envelopes with American stamps on them.
Judy
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

It's an urban myth propagated on some of the .com boards, aided and abetted by some know nothings at local US post offices mis-interpreting a USPS internal memo on the subject.

Specifically the Country and Postal Code should be capitalized, the rest of the address is not looked at by machine or human until the very final stage of the journey.

It's much more likely the envelope was returned for insufficient postage, half the US payments I receive by mail have insufficient postage (but are delivered prompty anyway). Maybe one in 50 are returned to sender.
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

sunshine2426
Community Member
Sounds like a lot of balony to me.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

dreamcoll
Community Member
I was the post office in Michigan today & told them about my buyer's payment being returned for not using capital letters. They informed me it's an American USPS rule. All mail going to foreign countries, Canada included must have the country name printed in capital letters.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
I can believe that dreamcoll. I've had a HUGE problem lately with USPS' automated systems being unable to recognize that the money orders being sent to me are destined for OUTSIDE the U.S. They seem to inevitably get misdirected and take 10 to 20 days to show up here.
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

dreamcoll
Community Member
I'm waiting on 3 payments sent on April 11, 12 & the 14th.

I'm going to have to pull one buyer's contact info & give him a call. He's not receiving my emails & keeps asking me where his item is. I've sent him 3 emails telling him I haven't received his payment yet.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply