Rude Service at Canada Post Franchise

I just got back from mailing something at a franchise Post Office ( Shoppers Drug Mart ) where I had an interesting experience.

There was a lady in line in front of me who looked to be in her mid to late 80s

The package she was trying to mail apparently had an invalid postal code.

She had a cell phone and called some one to find out the correct postal code but there was no answer.

She then asked the clerk if they could look it up and the clerk pulled out a postal code book and put it on the counter and told the customer to look it up them selves.

The customer said she had vision problems and couldn't read the small print.

The clerk responded with "well you will have to come back later when you know the correct code"

There was no one else waiting for service except me so I told the clerk I was in no hurry why don't you look the code up for her.

The clerk responded with " we are not allowed to"

I then offered to look it up and did so.

I also corrected it on the package.

The lady thanked me profusely and was able to mail the package.

I then said to the clerk " See it was easy even a blonde could do it "

BTW the clerk had black hair I am the blonde.

Why couldn't the clerk look it up?

Is there really a rule saying they aren't allowed to or was She just being a  ( insert word of your choice here )   ?

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Rude Service at Canada Post Franchise

I, too have a problem with Carey at Errington Post Office on Vancouver Island. You would think they own and control the world, just because they are the one behind the counter. Never been treated so rudely in my life, and, perhaps Canada Post should teach their employees to smile once in a while.

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Do not hesitate: file a formal complaint in writing with Canada Post management. 

That is the only way the problem eventually gets fixed.

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@worrly wrote:

They can't look it up in case they make a mistake just like they can't package something for the customer or write the address. So if they put the wrong PC and the package does not get delivered or returned CP will get blamed. 

Come on, they CAN help and elderly or disabled person if they want to regardless of the "rules", which I can't see being reality. I've had MANY parcels come back to me with insufficient postage or size issues after being mailed at a local post office. I never complained to them about it, just fixed the problem.

At my local post office, if a particular person is working they NEVER seem to be able to send something "regular mail". It is always quoted as $10 or more. I have to argue with them and 90% of the time I just come back when anyone else is on shift and pay in the $2-$3 range without any question.

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

@worrly wrote:

i don't think it's "officially" against the rules but it's just common sense because the clerk has no way of knowing it's a wrong or right but I'm sure CP wants to minimize any payouts they have to do. I'm sure if it came to it, CP would have to pay and then charge the outlet because it's their mistake because it's a legit loophole. 

Since the postal code "book" is a CPC publication, I can't see any issue with it.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

When the clerk enters the pertinent information into the computer to get the parcel rate (based on weight and size), she enters the postal code from the address on the parcel. At that point, she may notice that the code and the address don't jibe. I have seen my favorite clerk pick up incorrect information on items she is handling.
Message 25 of 36
latest reply

Canada post ... blah............... they wont help in anyway.... I had a parcel sent to me with tracking and the even lost that, I guess some postal employee is enjoying the stuff I paid for.

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

I won't even go to Errington Post Office, I drive to downtown Parksville to do my mail, someone should fire her.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

They can't look it up in case they make a mistake just like they can't package something for the customer or write the address. So if they put the wrong PC and the package does not get delivered or returned CP will get blamed. 

If they're incompetent they shouldn't be working for CP.

It's not as if they get paid minimum wage.

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@ilurkthereforiam wrote:

If they're incompetent they shouldn't be working for CP.

It's not as if they get paid minimum wage.

The OP was talking about a Post Office in a Shopper Drug Mart, not the actual Canada Post post office. Look at the first post in this old topic. In SDM, the workers are paid by SDM and not Canada Post. They are not part of the CP union and do not make their wages. They probably make more than minimum wage but not much more and not CP union wages.

All franchise post offices in drug stores, 7-11, whatever small business housing them, are not Canada Post employees.

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

I, too will be filing a complaint with Canada Post about this judging, phoney, superlative employee. Had it, I travel another 10 miles just to do my business with Canada Post.
Message 30 of 36
latest reply

I, too have a problem wih Carey at Canada Post Errington.  I must admit she is efficient at her job, but, at what cost to her customers?  This is a small town, and I will simply not stop there anymore because of the rude service. I have lived here 24 years and have never received one iota of a smile from that 'employee'.  Is  it wrong to expect a smile with your service, or, do you expect the police to be called to your home because you and the employee do not get along?  She has called the police twice on me for not 'getting along'  so, I carry (sorry about the pun) on until I get to Parksville PO where the service is fabulous, efficient, friendly, and with a smile.  Carey, you are SO OUT IN ERRINGTON!!

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

If a Postal Clerk cannot read and copy a postal code correctly, then what the hedoublehockeysticks are they doing working for us at Canada Post?

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

solarius71
Community Member
I work for canada post and having read the topic, i strongly disagree with what the RPO clerk did. Just so it is clear, RPO clerks ARE NOT CANADA POST EMPLOYEES, they are employees of the rpo itself. Having said that, if you wish to file a complaint, you should contact the business running the franchise as this manner of thinking is harmful for canada post and employees like me. Thanks, i hope it cleared this issue.
Message 33 of 36
latest reply

solarius71
Community Member
Shoppers drug mart is OWNED AND OPERATED by loblaws. Hence, they own the franchise for that particular RPO. As for the registered item missing, with the accuracy of the CPC zip code, it could have ended up in your neighbors doorstep if the 1 of the 6 characters are off. So please, dont think, that posties are thieves.
Message 34 of 36
latest reply

@solarius71 wrote:
Shoppers drug mart is OWNED AND OPERATED by loblaws. Hence, they own the franchise for that particular RPO. As for the registered item missing, with the accuracy of the CPC zip code, it could have ended up in your neighbors doorstep if the 1 of the 6 characters are off. So please, dont think, that posties are thieves.

Why did you feel the need to reply to a thread so old it started before Loblaws bought Shoppers?

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

Even though this is a older thread, it is still relevant.  The main problem is how inconsistent the service can be from one postal outlet to another or even from one particular employee to another. 

Had a bad experience today with an outlet at a local mall.  I always print out a copy of the item details page for each ebay sale and have them date stamp it for me.  I do this so I can file it away for my records and also as extra proof of when the item was shipped. 

Never had a problem in almost ten years.  Today I had a very surly fellow at the outlet I mentioned above refuse to date stamp the page.  He said a receipt was good enough.  I explained to him that I had never had anyone refuse at any other outlet (The main post office I usually go to date stamps them without me even having to ask.  I asked him why he couldn't do something the main post office had no problem doing. 

His response was to turn his back  on me and walk away into the back room!  Not very good customer service in my opinion.

Message 36 of 36
latest reply