Seller adds fees after "buy it now"

I bought a item listed for $197.74 USD with free shipping, I used buy it now to purchase this item and paid as soon as I purchased. After the purchase the seller contacted me explaining that I would have to pay another $59.91 USD to cover shipping costs, not only is this request entrapping me into paying more than the listing clearly states, the money request was sent using PayPal outside of eBay. I tell the seller no thanks, just send me my money back and cancel the order, they then give me the "15% restocking fee" bit, I then told the seller that I would file a claim.
So I file a claim "item not as described" and now eBay sides with the seller, they say there is nothing in the add that's "not as described" I even filled a appeal and they still side with the seller. Is this how eBay conducts its self? Sellers selling items for clearly stated values and then tacking on extra fees before the item is shipped.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

cj7jeepoffroad wrote:
I bought a item listed for $197.74 USD with free shipping, I used buy it now to purchase this item and paid as soon as I purchased. After the purchase the seller contacted me explaining that I would have to pay another $59.91 USD to cover shipping costs, not only is this request entrapping me into paying more than the listing clearly states, the money request was sent using PayPal outside of eBay. I tell the seller no thanks, just send me my money back and cancel the order, they then give me the "15% restocking fee" bit, I then told the seller that I would file a claim.

So I file a claim "item not as described" and now eBay sides with the seller, they say there is nothing in the add that's "not as described" I even filled a appeal and they still side with the seller. Is this how eBay conducts its self? Sellers selling items for clearly stated values and then tacking on extra fees before the item is shipped.

Item Not as Described is for claims regarding the item that you have received -- not for problems regarding the sale terms.

What you could have done, was tell the seller to refund your money and send you a revised invoice.  The option of cancelling the sale should have come from the seller (not as a request from you).

Then the choices would have been in your favour not the sellers.

-..-

You might want to mention to eBay that this seller is engaged in eBay fee avoidance, by billing shipping through PayPal after the purchase.  The financial department has a bit more clout regarding scam artists and/or idiot sellers like this.

-..-

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I would have stood my ground on the original 'contract' in the listing.
If the item was not received by eBay's 'Estimated delivery' date, I'd open an 'Item Not Received' claim.
A deal is a deal. I don't renegotiate after the fact; particularly when someone is calling me stupid and attempting to gouge me.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@cj7jeepoffroad wrote:

Would you mind posting the listing number for this sale?  Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Assuming that you haven't been refunded yet  you might still be able to open an item not received claim on eBay after the latest estimated delivery date. Or, you can try opening one with PayPal right away. Unless the seller can prove that you received the item, you should win.  You opened the wrong type of case and eBay likely didn't realize what the problem was.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply