Seller advertising free shipping. wants shipping money post auction

Although the seller's description mentions to contact him or her for a shipping price quote, the top part of the page just under the place bid box, it clearly showed FREE international shipping (to my address)

I even waited 16 hours to see if he would change the checkout page (which showed free shipping also)  but he didn't,  so I paid.

Another 24+ hours goes by and seller writes me and says he wants extra monies for shipping

What are my options?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Tell him politely that the listing and the invoice both stated Free Shipping to Canada and that you purchased on that basis. If you wish you could add that you would accept a Mutual Cancellation.

Note that you should not accept a Mutual Cancellation until you have the payment refunded, altough this is not usually a problem.

A Mutual Cancellation allows you to leave feedback and appropriate Detailed Seller Ratings based on his responses.

Politely - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for helping but I'm very well aware about a mutual cancellation

Thing is, I need the item...

So the moral of this story is just to pucker up and pay these experienced sellers who falsely advertise about shipping

to hook you in and then extract more money

Just beautiful  !!!

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Oh , I wouldnt't give up that easy.

Pay the invoice with the correct (free) shipping. You could even pay directly to his email address through Paypal, using the Send Money part and referencing the eBay transaction number .

If he returns the money, he can't open an Unpaid Item Dispute. But you can leave feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings.

And you can Report him to eBay as a Non-Performing Seller.

Still and all, he is unlikely to ship no matter what, and you are probably already on his Blocked Bidder List.

If you need the item, you will probably have to get it elsewhere, from a more sensible and honest seller.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Before I even posted here, I had paid the seller (in full) and saved the screen shot  with free shipping on it

I don't think he can open a unpaid dispute because he or she forgot to adjust my checkout.

He says he's having troubles with eBay showing the free shipping?

That's funny because all of his other items don't have that issue... and I'm not on his block list...yet

I told him my final bid was placed considering the free shipping but that doesn't seem to phase him

The guy has 100% feedback and I over paid a little for the item, don't you think he should just stand up and take the pill

and just send me my item, I mean it's not my fault, I played and I paid.

But no, this nickel and dime seller will probably refund me and take a hit for a lousy $10

What a loser

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Okay, you paid and he has not shipped.

Open an Item Not Recieved dispute (Resolution Centre upper right corner of this page) as soon as possible. You might want to wait until Day 10 after payment in case he reconsidered his options and shipped.

If he cannot prove delivery, Paypal will refund you in full (well, you lose on foreign exchange, but last year you would have won on foreign exchange) and go after him for their money.

You have up to 45 days to do this.

You have up to 60 days to leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. (You seem perfectly capable of this, but others will also read our discussion.)

At that time you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings, which are much more important to sellers. The normal transaction get Five Stars. The lowest rating is ONE Star. No stars is a free pass. If a seller's rating drops below 4.3 his ability to list and sell on eBay is severely restricted.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@miggs.2008 wrote:

Although the seller's description mentions to contact him or her for a shipping price quote, the top part of the page just under the place bid box, it clearly showed FREE international shipping (to my address)

I even waited 16 hours to see if he would change the checkout page (which showed free shipping also)  but he didn't,  so I paid.

Another 24+ hours goes by and seller writes me and says he wants extra monies for shipping

What are my options?

Did you send the seller a message for a shipping quote prior to committing to purchase the coin as requested in the listing description?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Looking at the listing, it appears the seller made a mistake in the shipping charge section.

The description reads:

SHIPPING WITHIN THE UNITED STATES IS $4.00, please add $1.00 for each additional auction won.  INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING RATES WILL VARY, PLEASE MESSAGE US IF YOU HAVE AN INTERNATIONAL ADDRESS & WISH TO BID ON ONE OF OUR ITEMS.  THANK YOU.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I won the auction last Sunday night and paid him Monday at noon.

This happened to me only once before and the seller quickly refunded me and I guess he didn't care about feedback

My thought right now is just to wait and let him think a bit and maybe he'll do the right thing and just send me my item.

But I'm not holding my breath on that possibility.

I'm also worried he might send the item but with something missing or damaged (it's a partial Canadian silver coin set,  in a case). And if he does that,  then that's a different problem, a whole other ball game, almost a worse headache than just getting refunded.  You agree?

Who knows how he'll act with this deal

I'm not the type to leave negative or neutral feedback if I don't lose anything, it only happened 3 times

I'm hoping he'll reconsider and just ship as described and if does, I'll leave him positive feedback, that's the way I am

I know I wouldn't want to scrap my 100% feedback for a mistake of mine worth $10

But I have seen stranger things...

Thank you both for your input and advice

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Usually I pay immediately after purchasing or winning but  to tell you the truth, I only saw that afterwards and that is why I waited 16 hours after auction end to pay him.

After paying him, I wrote him to thank him for the free shipping and ask him about a detail of the item.

24 hours goes by and then he writes that  he needs $10 more

I mean do I have to tutor sellers now with 200+ feedback?

Why does all his other items have no problem with showing shipping charges?

The least he could have done is say; hey buddy let me go to the post office and get a shipping fee for you

I'm done thank you

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

So I take it from your responses that you didn't contact the seller prior to committing to the purchase.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I thought this was a user to user help forum, not a staff to user forum,  but now, I know.

I committed to the purchase by winning the auction

So I take it from your questions, that I should have contacted and pleaded with him to charge me a shipping fee when he advertised free shipping?

I wrote him an hour ago suggesting we were both at fault and we should split the difference which is a fair solution in my mind and any other reasonable person.

If he refuses, who will be the chump then ?

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

And now you're deflecting the question.

As Pierre's post points out, the seller's terms in the listing description request that international buyers email the seller prior to purchase as international shipping rates will vary.

This wasn't a tip-off to you that something might be amiss with the "free" shipping?  Why didn't you email the seller first?  Were you trying to take advantage of what is obviously a mistake on the seller's part?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Deflecting the question? really? Please re-read my posts

How was I to know he didn't change his offering on shipping without changing his description?

Sure it was a tip off that something was amiss with the free shipping, that's why I waited to pay,

something I never do, I always pay quasi immediately.  I'm sure you can verify that easily

But it seems you're hell bent on having me take full responsibility with your repeated questions.

You're saying I just purchased that item to take advantage of a NOT so obvious mistake?

That's quite an accusation

I'm reacting out of principal, not for monetary reasons., I really could do without this hassle

I realize now my mistake and that's why I wrote him back

But of course I'm not allowed the same courtesy. since only the seller's permitted to making mistakes

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Okay, I'm giving you another chance to answer the question:

Did you send the seller a message for a shipping quote prior to committing to purchase the coin as requested in the listing description?

It seems pretty apparent that the seller wanted contact from non-U.S. buyers prior to bidding on or purchasing the coin set.  I personally don't like this practice, but it is what it is.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply