Seller cancelled bid, then I cancelled item, get charged final value fee?

So I had an item listed and the bid went pretty high. Near the end of the 7 day auction all of the buyers ended up cancelling their bids because they "didn't want it anymore" or "entered the wrong amount." Anyways after I confirmed the cancel of the bids there was back at the starting price of $1. So I just decided to cancel the item completely, lo and behold I get charged an insane final value fee as if the top bid was still there (which it wasn't because the price was at $1)! And to ad to this I didn't even notice I was getting billed until after they charged me a month later... Can anyone explain why Ebay charged me a final value fee of the top bid when it was cancelled? Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I think you should call Customer Support, on a weekday during business hours so you get Utah, and ask them.

I know in cancelled auctions the Final Value Fee will be charged but I thought is supposed to be based on the last high bid. I wonder if the FVF is actually charged on the highest bid instead.

Hmm.  That would make sense since the point of the FVF on cancelled auctions is, in part, to prevent the seller contacting the bidders and moving the sale off-eBay, where eBay would get no fees.

Here's a pro tip.

Never start an auction at a price lower than the one you are willing to accept.

If you want $20 for your item, start it at $20.

Even better, if it is small and light enough to ship Letter Post (up to 500 grams and 2cm thick) add the cost of postage (say $5) to your asking price and offer it at $25 /Free Shipping.

Those cancelled bids are from bottomfeeders. They hoped that a naive newbie will sell way under the market price. When others bid too, they dropped out.

There are waaaaay too few reasons for bidders to cancel. In my opinion, reasons should include" I don't want it anymore' "I sobered up" "The pills kicked in" "My cat bid while I was out of the room" or 'I have no money". Among others. So just ignore* the reasons.

*Did you know you can automatically Block bidders? Look on the Site Map under Manage Bidders and again under Seller Preferences.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@tjcourtland wrote:

So I had an item listed and the bid went pretty high. Near the end of the 7 day auction all of the buyers ended up cancelling their bids because they "didn't want it anymore" or "entered the wrong amount." Anyways after I confirmed the cancel of the bids there was back at the starting price of $1. So I just decided to cancel the item completely, lo and behold I get charged an insane final value fee as if the top bid was still there (which it wasn't because the price was at $1)! ... Can anyone explain why Ebay charged me a final value fee of the top bid when it was cancelled?

You are allowed to cancel one auction per year without penalty. More than that and you are charged a fee.

Complete details:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/end_early.html

-..-

You should have cancelled all the bids, raised the starting price, and then continued the auction to avoid getting charged a fee.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply