Sellers are People too right?

Maybe the title is goofy but I'm really starting to wonder how important sellers are.  I can't say all my selling experiences have been bad or that I haven't  enjoyed most of my time on eBay but lately I feel that sellers have slipped down the scale of importance somewhat. There is a sense that we are portrayed as the big bad wolf as far as the buyers are concerned. They are bombarded on how eBay is going that extra mile to keep them safe(from us) and it's no wonder some of them start out expecting to get ripped off right from the get go. Not only that some buyers feel that they can do almost anything and eBay will believe them over a seller. Because seemingly only the seller has to provide absolute proof of/tracking/description/communication or whatever the problem is otherwise we are not to be believed.

I've never believed in curses or bad luck. I mean there is only luck right? Well now I am rethinking. Besides some recent crazed/crazy buyers, possible unfair eBay practices and unreliable postal service I now have yet another problem. For anyone who has read my posts recently and continue to (thanks by the way) will understand why I am so depressed about the following.

I have a return issue. Buyer tells me the beads are too small. The exact size is mentioned in the listing THREE separate times plus a mm-inch conversion chart is also provided.  Beads are almost always measured in mm because it is the most accurate for small items. When I went to the return form he had picked Item Not as Described as the reason for return.  
 Instead of accepting the return under the reasons chosen (which are untrue) I clicked on message buyer. When I did my browser locked up. When I finally get back to the return form it was now on the second page stating that the return had been accepted! Well I hadn't but now I can't backtrack. Wonderful 😞

I have messaged the buyer more then once and explained the situation. I am happy to refund him but not for the reason that he picked as it is not true and it puts a defect on my account, as a matter of fact the foul defect is already there! This was on Nov.9th and I haven't heard from the buyer. Because the return shows it was my fault  (although it's not) I must also pay return shipping. This is very disheartening as I feel I am a good seller, not only did I give the buyer a good deal I paid the extra shipping cost for tracked packet free of charge. Meaning I paid $14.19 CAD and collected $3.99 USD for shipping. So now I have a hold put on the funds by PayPal, a strand of beads that are exactly like the picture and description sitting with the buyer and an unearned defect on my account. I guarantee my merchandise and customer satisfaction 100%. Please tell me this is a nightmare and I am going to wake up.

Anyone who has been following my posts of misery over the last little while will know why this may be that final straw. Yes I do plan on phoning eBay...for all the good it will do. I just don't have much faith left. If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would be most grateful. I am wondering if it is possible for the customer to cancel the return and reopen it with the correct reason or even change the reason without cancelling. There is a chance I may not even hear back from him.  I am so frustrated I would even consider telling him to keep the darn things and I will refund him anyway. Though I shouldn't have to.  I have until the14th to complete the return.

Thanks for taking the time to read yet another rant from me..I truly do appreciate it!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

So sorry this happened to you.  You have had a string of bad luck recently.  In this case,  I guess the buyer was expecting bigger beads.  I have heard of this happening a lot in jewelry and seen it in the sellers feedbacks.   Buyers expecting the chain, pendant , broach or stone (s) to be bigger.  

I took a look at your listings and they are very good.  You spell out the sizes and conversions.   But we do know that buyers more than often never read.  

You should call ebay, but I wouldn't expect too much, as I have found it to be useless recently.  I wish you luck with that. 

Are you sure you have to pay for return shipping.  I thought that was only in the US.  

The only suggestion I may have is for any future listings putting a dime near the beads will give the buyer a physical comparison of the beads in terms of size.   That might not help either, besides not being able to read, they may be blind too. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

As a buyer, I have had my first taste of the new Returns process and I am finding it leaves much to be desired. One size does not fit all when it comes to managing returns, that's for sure.

In your case, however, there is supposed to be a manner in which the seller can protest an unfair Item Not as Described claim. I suspect, however, that ebay Customer Service will tell you they don't believe you sent the buyer the beads that match the listing. This is essentially the problem that I had with the Customer Service situation awhile ago (thread called 'And now for something completely different: last night I lost it) that led me to the decision to start selling elsewhere. 

I do wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Today is Board Hour. Perhaps you can raise it directly with ebay Canada staff. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I will stick my neck out.

Ebay does not care about the small seller. They create all the issues in Ebay's eyes and take up 90% of the CS time.

They want the large Chinese and Box Stores as they get a larger amount of listings from fewer sellers.

The Chinese and Box stores don't call CS to get defects remove, don't post on the boards with complaints and issues, and really cause no work and problems for Ebay. That does not mean they are good sellers, just they give fewer headaches.

Ebay also wants the add income as there are no headaches to speak of and really free money from Ebay's space, and no live bodies on the site to deal with

I am both a buyer and a seller and in all honesty, overall, I have seen the quality of items I have bought deteriorating over the last few years. Hence I myself buy a whole lot less than before. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way.

From a selling perspective, it is becoming harder to please the new generation of buyer and scammers are on the increase.

If you are a small seller, Ebay just does not care if their system is broken, you get scammed, or end up buying junk. All they care about is making money and the easiest way to do that, in their eyes, is to deal with large merchants and get add revenue.

The sooner we all face the new facts of Ebay, the sooner we will feel better and have less stress and headaches. Life is too short to have Ebay make a disaster out of it for you.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The very sad truth. 

It is however, a short-term plan with long-term consequences.

Buyers don't come to ebay to buy from large retailers. Those retailers have their own websites. They come here for unique items and deals. Those usually come from the smaller guys. While looking for deals and unique items, they might be swayed by the mass-market stuff but a lot of that is (a) garbage or (b) out-of-stock. Why? Because those big box sellers have their OWN customers to satisfy first! They care less about ebay's customers.

And then buyers are left feeling disappointed and alienated.

There should be a threshold where ebay can trust a medium-size seller to have their act together and throw them a bone. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

So sorry this happened to you.  You have had a string of bad luck recently.  In this case,  I guess the buyer was expecting bigger beads.  I have heard of this happening a lot in jewelry and seen it in the sellers feedbacks.   Buyers expecting the chain, pendant , broach or stone (s) to be bigger.  

I took a look at your listings and they are very good.  You spell out the sizes and conversions.   But we do know that buyers more than often never read.  

You should call ebay, but I wouldn't expect too much, as I have found it to be useless recently.  I wish you luck with that. 

Are you sure you have to pay for return shipping.  I thought that was only in the US.  

The only suggestion I may have is for any future listings putting a dime near the beads will give the buyer a physical comparison of the beads in terms of size.   That might not help either, besides not being able to read, they may be blind too. 

Thank you for reading my latest lament. I've always tried to look at the good side of things and sometimes irritate people around me for being so optimistic most of the time. They might be shocked to read some of my posts here.

I posted on the weekly board session and got the response I expected. To continue to try to contact the buyer in this matter and have them perhaps cancel the return and straighten this out. I do have a couple of days yet so I might get lucky, though I am not hopeful. I'll certainly let everyone know if it happens!

If the reason for return is item is not as described the seller has to pay return shipping. No if's and's or but's about it. I am fairly certain there is no way to supply postage for them so the seller must reimburse for it and show proof of doing so as well.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

As a buyer, I have had my first taste of the new Returns process and I am finding it leaves much to be desired. One size does not fit all when it comes to managing returns, that's for sure.

In your case, however, there is supposed to be a manner in which the seller can protest an unfair Item Not as Described claim. I suspect, however, that ebay Customer Service will tell you they don't believe you sent the buyer the beads that match the listing. This is essentially the problem that I had with the Customer Service situation awhile ago (thread called 'And now for something completely different: last night I lost it) that led me to the decision to start selling elsewhere. 

I do wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Today is Board Hour. Perhaps you can raise it directly with ebay Canada staff. 

I recently had a return through the new returns process that went seamlessly. Of course the buyer used the right reason on that one.

Yes I suspect you are right, CS will assume that I am lying. This is the problem I have about how it is a natural assumption that a seller is dishonest. It is beyond belief. We have to supply proof of everything but a buyer does not. Part of me understands because there are dishonest sellers out there...but there are plenty of dishonest buyers as well. We are doomed! lol

I have thought of opening up shop elsewhere but I hesitate. I have been on eBay for 11 years total now.  I used to have another store here selling jewellery. My sales starting declining and I decided it was no longer worth doing so I closed up shop. 90% of what I am selling now are my own personal supplies/collections with some good bargains I've found elsewhere mixed in. I never planned on doing this forever so I don't know if I want to start from scratch somewhere else as I have no plans on adding to my stock. Mind you I do have a ton of stock.

When I read this back in my head I realize I am making the decision to stay put so I should just shut my mouth and quit complaining.

I did go to Board hour as you have most likely seen and I have addressed the response here in another thread.

I truly do appreciate the fact that there are members such as yourselves that take the time to read my problems and respond. It's one of the few things that is keeping me sane lately!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Before a seller tells the buyer to return an item (yes I know you didn't mean to do that) they can appeal the claim. However, if they appeal and lose then they have an unresolved claim strike against them.  In this case, you might have won if you had a record of the buyer saying that they item was as described but that they needed something in a different size. If you ever do appeal though, make sure you do it on the phone. If it is done online then the ebay 'bot' makes a decision and that's not usually a good decision for a seller.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I will stick my neck out.

Ebay does not care about the small seller. They create all the issues in Ebay's eyes and take up 90% of the CS time.

They want the large Chinese and Box Stores as they get a larger amount of listings from fewer sellers.

The Chinese and Box stores don't call CS to get defects remove, don't post on the boards with complaints and issues, and really cause no work and problems for Ebay. That does not mean they are good sellers, just they give fewer headaches.

Ebay also wants the add income as there are no headaches to speak of and really free money from Ebay's space, and no live bodies on the site to deal with

I am both a buyer and a seller and in all honesty, overall, I have seen the quality of items I have bought deteriorating over the last few years. Hence I myself buy a whole lot less than before. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way.

From a selling perspective, it is becoming harder to please the new generation of buyer and scammers are on the increase.

If you are a small seller, Ebay just does not care if their system is broken, you get scammed, or end up buying junk. All they care about is making money and the easiest way to do that, in their eyes, is to deal with large merchants and get add revenue.

The sooner we all face the new facts of Ebay, the sooner we will feel better and have less stress and headaches. Life is too short to have Ebay make a disaster out of it for you.

I agree with you. I'd like to think it isn't true but it's apparent in the fact that most of the changes coming won't effect large sellers at all. You know, the ones that have 200 negatives in a month and are still top rated. Yes most of these are Chinese sellers with super cheap tracked shipping and many now coming from India as well.

I have found more buyers are becoming difficult to deal with. Thankfully there are still plenty of good ones that keep me sane so far. Part of the reason buyers are more demanding is eBay itself. Now that the shipping question is already being asked in feedback I've had more buyers then ever complain/point out/ demand that they receive it by that date. Not to mention I have defects now that I have never in all the years I've been selling ever had.

The way eBay has set up the process in contacting a seller has added to this defect problem by giving buyers template questions to choose from. These can easily cause confusion and the buyers have no idea about the repercussions of choosing the wrong one.

I have had three defects relating to Item Not Received question as it is automatically counted as a defect. These buyers were merely asking when their item shipped or how long had it been. Something they could have easily checked themselves with the info I upload. I managed to have two removed. Strangely the one defect that remains was sent with tracked shipping 😞 But that is another story.

I have spent literally thousands of dollars on eBay over the years. In all those years with all those purchases I have only given ONE negative to a seller. This was because when I got my order it was obviously fake. The seller even admitted it.

It is hard to compete with the large sellers. They can easily absorb defects, a small seller can't. They have almost non existent customer service, whereas I answer every question promptly and do my best to rectify any issues. I think one of the reasons I have gotten negatives without one peep from a buyer is because they are used to NOT getting a response from the large sellers. I am a fair person. I will fix ANYTHING if only a buyer asks. I have actually said to a couple of buyers that I was sorry they were not happy and I apologize because eBay must have lost their message to me asking to fix the issue before leaving a negative. LOL...it works as sometimes it makes them realize that they weren't being fair to me by not giving me a chance to do anything about it.

I feel I am now being approached by many buyers with the mentality they have when shopping with mega sellers. We are also being treated that way by eBay. Ebay doesn't really seem to think about how these changes effect us small timers, especially we Canadians.

I suppose I should try harder to not let any of these things bother me so much but it's difficult because I want the best buying experience for my customers, though seemingly eBay doesn't believe me or perhaps even care. All in all it is very depressing and I am going back and forth constantly between packing it in or giving it more time. Confusion reigns.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@gemaddict wrote:

I suppose I should try harder to not let any of these things bother me so much but it's difficult because I want the best buying experience for my customers, though seemingly eBay doesn't believe me or perhaps even care. All in all it is very depressing and I am going back and forth constantly between packing it in or giving it more time. Confusion reigns.

Oh boy, I think you and I have a lot in common, and I have to say that almost every comment you and 'dutchman' have made rings true for me.  I've been feeling the "bum's rush" from eBay for at least a couple of years now, to put it colourfully, watching policies shifting toward favouring the biggest sellers.  

It is depressing, especially since it seems no matter what I do, I can't seem to increase my sales level.  I've literally done everything eBay has recommended, and kept my seller status squeaky clean but the net result has actually been a serious drop in sales overall in 2015.  I feel I've exhausted the available strategies, to no avail.  It seems over the past few months as if my buyers have vanished, despite listing more items, and with more variety than ever.  

Ironically, back in 2013 and prior, when I was only listing 60 to 80 items per month, I was selling most within 3 to 4 months.  Now that I'm regularly listing twice or three times the number of items, I'm getting a sell-through rate of under 3%, and it's taking months and months to turn over existing inventory.  It's very hard to run a thriving business like that, or to do any meaningful planning.  

Personally I suspect that all of eBay's promotion and marketing to customers who are looking for retail-type goods (i.e. new, factory-produced, and especially techno-gadgets) has been successful.  I simply don't think a lot of people are coming here anymore looking for that OOAK item that can't easily be found anywhere else, or just to have fun browsing for something unique and interesting.  

I liken it to the difference between big-box stores compared to funky downtown shops run by independent owners.  And I conclude that eBay is really no longer interested in the latter.  You are probably right that eBay has turned not only its retailers, but its customers, into automatons, who neither expect nor really want any contact with the person behind the sale. 

So the question is: what to do?  I completely relate to your comment about having been on eBay for so many years and feeling reluctant to look elsewhere to sell.  It is a big leap, that's true -- and a lot of time and effort.  I felt toward the end of 2014 that I could see the writing on the wall, and I branched out.  To give you an indication, I've done better with less than one-quarter of the listings on another site than I'm currently doing here.  Mind you, I must admit that sales volumes are not quite what they used to be on that site either, but they are far livelier than here, and listing and selling is fun again.  

It wasn't easy, shifting the mindset after so many years, and to be honest I felt a loyalty of sorts to eBay, which is where I got my online start.  I wish really that I could have stayed here exclusively and built up my business as I'd originally planned.  But that's just not feasible now. 

However, I sadly was of the opinion that eBay had demonstrated very little loyalty over the past few years to the legions of small sellers like me who have kept buyers happy (and coming back!) for a decade or more, and would have stayed on for many years still, making eBay money, if only eBay had provided the right conditions.  

At one time, back in a happier year on eBay, probably prior to 2013, I had great plans to expand my listings and business here, but still remain as a "boutique" seller.  Those have by and large been thwarted by a combination of eBay policies, mistakes, and ill-conceived decision-making that have kept the sands shifting under my feet so that I feel I never know what to expect next.  

It's very difficult to plan on the longer term when every few months the whole kaleidoscope picture changes.  

I agree with you and 'dutchman" that to eBay we smaller sellers are probably just a big collection of time-wasting troublemakers.  Consider the level of resources that need to be allocated to deal with millions of individual sellers, as opposed to the very streamlined and automated workings of the larger retailers on this site.  

There does come a point where even the most optimistic person, after being beaten over the head for years, begins to wonder why continue.  Yet I personally feel I have a unique set of items to offer to my buyers, and if more and more small sellers like me leave, then those that remain will have a harder time attracting the right type of buyer.  It's a symbiotic relationship I think.  Who is going to go to a site to buy a unique craft item when that site heavily promotes technological or mass-produced manufactured goods?  Every time I see the ads on eBay's landing page I feel rather ill -- "70% off big-screen TVs!"  "50% off the latest fashion trends!", etc. etc.

All in all, I've morphed from being an eBay cheerleader a few years ago to an eBay realist/cynic.  Now I will hold on here only as long as I can make enough profit to justify putting my time into this business, but margins are getting thinner and costs are getting higher.  Once my heart isn't in it anymore, and the returns aren't there, I don't know what I'll do.  It will be a sad day for me if I have to close my store.  

Sorry I couldn't end on a more upbeat note, but I'm afraid I see even this most recent Seller Update and the new seller standards as favouring those largest sellers who can afford to play the "numbers game" on eBay.  This despite eBay's touting a new focus on their "traditional core" (smaller) sellers.  They should have thought of that 2 or 3 years ago, as many of those sellers are long gone. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@gemaddict wrote:

Oh boy, I think you and I have a lot in common, and I have to say that almost every comment you and 'dutchman' have made rings true for me.  I've been feeling the "bum's rush" from eBay for at least a couple of years now, to put it colourfully, watching policies shifting toward favouring the biggest sellers.  

It is depressing, especially since it seems no matter what I do, I can't seem to increase my sales level.  I've literally done everything eBay has recommended, and kept my seller status squeaky clean but the net result has actually been a serious drop in sales overall in 2015.  I feel I've exhausted the available strategies, to no avail.  It seems over the past few months as if my buyers have vanished, despite listing more items, and with more variety than ever.  

This is what happened with my other store, the sales just dropped. More and more big sellers with cheap jewellery really hit us small jewelers hard. I see sellers from India and China selling silver plated pendants with stones for $0.99 and free shipping...what? I don't understand. It didn't matter what I did. Even though I supplied good quality handmade jewellery it made no difference.  It didn't matter how many listings I changed up, how many sales I put on. It became obvious that it was a losing proposition. Ebay lets hundreds..no thousands of sellers sell fake/imitations as real with no consequences. But that is just another story.

We are right, eBay is swaying towards big sellers now. Like dutchman says they don't give eBay any issues and make them lots of money so why protect the little people? They are making a huge mistake. I used to recommend shopping at eBay as it was a great place for the boutique type stores. A good place to find OOAK and unique items. I have found items on eBay that I couldn't find anywhere else. I have met many interesting people as well.  It's so sad.

I really wish we didn't have these issues in common but I admit it is nice to have others that understand the situation.

I still have thousands of dollars worth of stock so I just may branch out and try another venue. In the meantime I will try to fix this most recent mess. I am not sure how to proceed as I am getting no response from the buyer. That is the next step according to the returns center. I must contact the buyer to make arrangements for the return. Hard to do when I am being ignored. So I will continue to go to all the trouble of trying, even if it's only to get taken yet again.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Before a seller tells the buyer to return an item (yes I know you didn't mean to do that) they can appeal the claim. However, if they appeal and lose then they have an unresolved claim strike against them.  In this case, you might have won if you had a record of the buyer saying that they item was as described but that they needed something in a different size. If you ever do appeal though, make sure you do it on the phone. If it is done online then the ebay 'bot' makes a decision and that's not usually a good decision for a seller.

There is a message from the buyer right on the return pretty much stating that the beads were too small for them to use and to refund them less the shipping I paid to ship it to them in the first place. The only thing missing was smiley faces and hearts 🙂  Doesn't sound like someone who is mad at all but a bot would never catch that nuance and I am hoping a CSR will if it comes to that. I feel like laughing maniacally after that last statement.  Ebay sure didn't waste any time in giving me a defect for it either, though I suppose that is an automatic software response.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Finally a partial resolution on this returns problem. The buyer contacted me. He was truly sorry and took full responsibility for the mix up. He didn't mean to pick what he did for a return reason and certainly didn't understand what damage it would cause.

I had the feeling that if I could only reach him this could be resolved. He cancelled the return. Apparently he had already sent the beads back so they are on the way. He insisted that I deduct the amount I paid for shipping from his refund. I told him that was fine I would refund the total which I did. Later this evening I get a PayPal payment from him for $10.00. It would appear he is insisting on paying shipping costs. 

I don't think eBay explains the process of returns (amongst other things) clearly enough and buyers find it confusing. It is the same thing with something as simple as clicking on contact seller. The choices given there are a bit misleading and buyers are often steered towards opening requests giving us more defects. Frustrating.

Now I am hoping eBay will remove the defect from my account. When he cancelled the return his reason stated was opened a return by mistake. I'd like to think that this would be enough for them to remove it. However given my recent dealings with CS I'm not betting on it. I still am disputing another defect that was caused by a customer who merely wanted to ask me a question.

This isn't what we sellers should have to spend time doing or worrying about. We should be able to devote more time to selling.  The plans I had to get stock listed have fallen by the wayside because I've had to spend too much time phoning, writing, reading and worrying about eBay's lack of concern, buyer mistakes and defects. How can one operate under all the stress?  I have never had so many problems before, with shipping, with defects and with disillusioned buyers. So what has changed? I know I haven't. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply