Sellers noticing effect of US shutdown?

Our sales have tanked over the past week especially.

Always hard to tell but always makes me wonder when we're supposed to be in a good month.

Is it -

- the US gov't shutdown (hopefully sales bounce back with the deal)?

- competitors advertising more on google etc for selling season?

- the final nail has been hammered in our eBay coffin?

- our listings not optimized well enough for mobile?

- just random ebb and flow?

- we don't use pinterest (or other flavour of the month)?

- some other combination of best match fails?

??? always keeps us guessing ???

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

My sales were bang on average.

300K out of 330 miilion is not going to make any kind of difference. That is less than .1% of the population.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

First ... my background..

I have been going to auction sales  for over 30 years... and have seen all  styles of art.

I have found and sold many different styles of art.

and if you look at my walls today  you will see much  of what you would call... traditional painting....  nothing abstract.

This does not mean  I will not like abstract...  but there is a limit to what I will put on my walls.... But I do like something such as that produced by Yacov Agam... very expensive

There were many different styles of painting in our house... and that included traditional,   native aboriginal limited edition  prints and much of what one could buy from Park West Gallery.

What you have for sale is  directed towards a of buyer that likes a specific style of artwork.

When I looked at your list of artwork...  all I saw was color....  I did recognize some variation in theme., and even then there was a similarity in color.  The focus on one style of artwork made it it difficult fo me to find something I liked.

What  might have happened is  that  you have a small market  and you have gradually filled it.

I too find a slow down in sales ... and my response is to diversify.

I sell in one specific niche....  about 85 % of my listings are in a broad category of Canadian history.

Yet I have recently listed a lot of books  that relate to Canadian art/artists,  Hunting/ fishing....  Decoy carving, 

and then to the sciences as this relates to birds, animals... and then agriculture..... and then the  relation between art and science....

As I build up my listing numbers, I start seeing page views  and then a new group of buyers.

Also  I have revised titles  based on my understanding of how eBay's Cassini  "looks" at a listing, and my page views have gone up as well as my visits.

There is more to having no sales  than what you have listed...

My bottomline  is that you have a lot of color  with artwork for a very narrow buyer base... and if that buyer base is filled  your sales will drop off...

One has to diversity....  and open up your selection of artwork  as well as other complementary inventory.

If you look at artists such as Ivan Eyre, Clarence Tillenius,  and others... you will find a focus  on a diversity of art types and/or styles.

Some one like Leo Mol  worked in large bronzes, ceramics,  drawings (pastels)  as well as stained glass...

Each artist followed through by renewing himself through a different medium.....  and their success flowed through each new way they expressed themselves.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I did not look at Art's listings. My opinion? Too much of the same. Yes, an artist needs a catalogue of work, but, there seemed to be two or three paintings repeated over and over. Perhaps, sometimes, less is more?

I would assume, hope, you are advertising on multiple venues. eBay alone for an artist is not a good idea. The winds change and then you have nothing. 7 out of the first 11 paintings looked the same to me.

I like art. I like looking at it. I like colours and movement.

I like variety. Variety I am not seeing. It became tough on my eyes and brain to see differences from one to the other.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

wow, thanks for the thoughtful responses, elm and cumos.

Much worthwhile food for thought and even if I disagreed with some of your conclusions - obviously you've taken the time to put down your impressions and no one can argue with that. Definitely worth thinking about a few things.

I agree with Elm about the US shutdown. It is a drop in the bucket. What even made me think of that was one seller on Fine Art America was saying on a message board that he normally had something like 30+ sales a month and only had a handful this month and was speculating it might be the shutdown.

We've always taken the approach that the hundreds of millions of people in NA form an unlimited market in terms of what we sell.

Anyway, bottom line yeah it's probably a cop-out to think the shut-down has had much impact...

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

As a further comment, the different natures of different sellers' niches and listings are fascinating.

When you consider elm's and Cumos' listings, at first you might think that they are very similar, in the sense that each item is very specific and precisely describable and searchable, with keywords that are unique to the point of being borderline bizzarre.

But that is where the similarities end - as I realized that I would probably be happy enough to have almost any item from cumos listings - but would have no use for any of Elm's listings... that is, until I need it, which could be never or could be tomorrow.

Our listings have a different problem. We are just in a category that is swamped with tens of thousands of seemingly similar items from overseas, selling at fractions of prices we can live with.. Hence the large number of listings, just to have a hope of getting seen.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

You have considered and undestood what we said. Thus, the seed is planted. I do not dislike your art, it is just not my style.  As I said to an artists friend of mine "Your eyes see the world through a prism." Totally different perspectives. My wish is that your art takes off and you make millions and become instantly famous.

Hum? Maybe? Break your paintings into categories. You have a store, so you have that capability. That way, at least, customers can switch from one genre to another.  I saw at least three: tress, abstract, flowers.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

borderline bizzarre.

Meet Cassini

Cassini is that big elephant in our lives.... 

Many see Cassini as difficult in responding to the  needs of sellers on eBay

Yet it can be done.

We must feed the "right food" to Cassini in order to be successful

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I took a look in the store, I may be seeing something different from Mr.E but there are a lot of categories in the store, and it I was art conversant, they would probably make sense to me (PS I like your artwork, too bad I'm too cheap to buy art!). I think the universal problem we all have is how much similar stuff is out there. I am not familiar with the art category, if it is like my (stamps) category folks will identify stuff that is selling then you see a bunch of it showing up with drives the prices/purchases down. The recent stopping of folks being able to see what sold may help slow stuff like this down (See separate thread). You may have to search the art section for stuff/styles that aren't out there and create some of that (it looks like you are well talented and capable of creating several different styles which is good). In my world the best thing that can happen is I search for existing or completed items of a certain type and I find none or next to none, those are the awesome things to have to sell - if you can create the same in your categories that may help?
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Ignore what I said about the store. I simply went into "view listings" and it was a jumble.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Break your paintings into categories. You have a store, so you have that capability. That way, at least, customers can switch from one genre to another.  I saw at least three: tress, abstract, flowers.

Unless the OP just set up store categories in the last couple of days after posting here, I actually see quite a number of categories already (check the store home page, not the listings link).  These seem to be completely adequate and appropriate for the various types of work the artist is selling.  The OP is also offering free shipping, which is of real benefit for someone considering buying art -- I imagine shipping these paintings isn't cheap.  

To the OP - Aside from Cassini, which doubtless has an effect, my opinion is that one of the first things to stop when people perceive economic turmoil, whether real or imagined, is discretionary spending on what would be considered luxury items - and that often means items with artistic value.  Practical items that people actually need for one reason or another, or items that have a recognized collectible value that are perceived as substitutes for cash investments (like coins, stamps, etc.), will continue to sell through thick and thin.  The challenge for a working artist is to get through the lean periods and survive. 

One way to do this of course is to build up a client base, people who enjoy and appreciate your work and will keep returning.  Another is to expose and promote your work in various venues locally (assuming you're in an urban area), such as open galleries, libraries, civic events, etc.  You may already be doing these things.

However, if I can offer a suggestion for eBay in particular, you might want to try diversifying what you are selling with subsidiary items that are conceptually linked to your main category.  

These little items, preferably easy to ship and less expensive than your main category, can keep you afloat through rough periods.  For example, have you thought about producing blank greeting cards or postcards of your work (I'm assuming that you, as the eBay store owner, are also the artist, or at least hold copyright), or matted litho prints in a format that would fit in a #5 bubble envelope so they can be shipped inexpensively?  You could also consider self-publishing a small collection of the best work in book format or on CD.  Miniatures in interesting frames?

Perhaps consider items such as fold-up table-top display easels or having your work professionally printed/laminated onto small 'collectible' objects such as handcrafted wooden boxes, jewellery boxes, etc. - one way of sourcing this type of item would be to make a consignment arrangement with a local woodworking artisan to sell them in your eBay store.  Selling frames, mats and picture hanging materials (hooks, wire, etc.) of course is another option, but shipping might be an issue and you would have to find a good wholesale or discount source for these articles.  However, the main idea with ancillary items is that they maintain your exposure on eBay and help you to continue to make sales (albeit perhaps with less profits on those items) through the "dead zones" on eBay.  

I too sell originally-produced work, and I've found the concept of selling related items to be a lifesaver.  You have to keep in mind that although we may have a large potential customer base on eBay, the actual percentage of the North American population who will be shopping on eBay is probably quite small.  Divide that further by the actual percentage of people who will be shopping for original artwork, then again for those who are willing/able to buy from Canada, then again for those who are looking for oils in particular (as opposed to watercolours, prints, etc.), and again finally for those who like the particular work you are offering (and the prices), and you have your true potential customer base.  You can probably work the numbers out roughly for yourself to see what that might be.  I don't think it will be a number in the millions.  

Accordingly, it is not only possible, but fairly easy to become over-exposed in niche areas on eBay, exhausting your initial potential customer base.  This means you will be waiting longer and longer for new buyers to find your work once you've run through your initial "mass" exposure.  Add things like holiday times, financial and political crises and other things that keep people away from shopping online and you have a "dead zone" for sales.  This is why I think diversifying can help.  You may get a buyer who comes to your store for some picture wire, then discovers he/she might like to buy one of the paintings -- that sort of idea.  

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@art-in-the-making wrote:

- our listings not optimized well enough for mobile?

I might be able to at least eliminate this one from your list, if it's any consolation.  This issue was a real concern of mine after seeing some of my listings a few months ago as viewed on a mobile phone.  

I brought the subject up at one of the Wednesday discussions.  I was told by one of the eBay reps that eBay's mobile features have vastly improved in the last few months and technology (and the availability of newer smart mobile devices) has caught up to eBay.  Essentially he said this issue is becoming irrelevant.  

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I have less US buyers mainly because of the adjustments in Canada Post options and rates  in January 2013.

I used to use eBay.com as a guide to see how a new listings will do on eBay.

USPS rates to Canada jumped dramatically in January as well.

Now  I look to see how my newest categories of books will sell based on search report placement on eBay.ca....

I am always looking for new categories of books.... and usually it takes about 30 listings for me to establish a significant placement in number of new listings in a category before buyers really take notice and start buying.,

The cost of shipping to the US  and in turn the high cost of shipping by competitors  that use USPS forces me to look at what is listed on eBay.ca as opposed to eBay.com.... in order to determine  my potential  placement in a search.

It is important to develop complementary categories to a major niche....  The greater the number of complementary categories  the greater the opportunity for a sale.

Rotating listings... end and then relist  also has a benefit... first in views,  and ultimately with sales

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Meet Cassini

Cassini is that big elephant in our lives.... 

My impression is I either have no clue of how or no possibility of taming this elephant.. Do you know of any Cassini resources?

Many great suggestions and replies, thanks to all.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

We were chatting about this quite a bit several months back. My impression is that ebay wants the following, great is the word they use:

great pictures

great description

internation shipping with prices

30 day refund

1 day handling

The algorithm is a living, breathing, thing.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

art, if you go to you tube and google cassini, there are a few videos from non ebay sources about how cassini works. However, because ebay doesn't give much specific information about it, I don't know how accurate those videos are...much of it could be just guesswork.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

eBay's mobile features have vastly improved in the last few months and technology (and the availability of newer smart mobile devices) has caught up to eBay.

Does anyone have the link to the "See your listing on eBay" thingie?

I lost it.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

eBay's mobile features have vastly improved in the last few months and technology (and the availability of newer smart mobile devices) has caught up to eBay.

Does anyone have the link to the "See your listing on eBay" thingie?

I lost it.

I have it but it doesn't work and just goes back to the ebay home page. One of the ebay reps did give a reason why it isn't available anymore but I can't remember the reason.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Here is the link to the eBay mobile page that shows a stripped down limited HTML version of an eBay listing. Please note that this is not what most eBay mobile shoppers see on advanced smartphones or on the eBay iPad. Those ebayers see a full version of your description like they would on a desktop computer.

http://wap.ebay.com/Default.aspx?

Because photos and much of the HTML is removed from the description, whatever is left can be a jumble of your original description.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply