Selling a high-value item: shipping insurance

I'm not new to eBay, but I am new to selling. I'm about to list my first item, and it's a collector watch valued at approx. $15,000 US. I plan to list it in Canada and also offer it in the U. S. I've looked at many ads for similar watches, and almost no one mentions anything about shipping insurance. They're quoting shipping prices of $50 to $100 on $15,000 watches. I know it's unlikely, but what happens if the carrier loses the shipment? I am not prepared to self-insure this kind of risk, and if the buyer doesn't receive the package neither eBay nor PayPal is going to protect me.

How do sellers of high-value items protect themselves? Canada Post will insure up to $5,000. FedEx say they don't offer insurance. UPS gave me a quote, but it took a long time, and it didn't seem like something the guy on the phone was very familiar with.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Insurance is about protection.

So my first advice would be : Don't sell such a valuable item here, especially not so early in your selling career.

You will be targetted by scammers and honest buyers will pass your listing by because of your low feedback--which is a measure of trust.

There is a company called shipinsurance which has a good reputation here on eBay. They will do one-off insuring.

The real problems you are likely to face have little to do with shipping.

The problems are likely to be false claims through eBay.

You can prevent claims of non-delivery by using a Signature Confirmation of Delivery.

The biggest problem is false Not As Described claims. While the buyer cannot get a refund without return, there is always the question of just what will be returned.

Oh, also. Value is variable. If the retail on your watch is $15,000, be aware that you will get much much less on eBay. If you use an auction, start at the price you will be comfortable getting and include the cost of shipping in your asking price.

We use Hugh Wood Insurance, which specializes in the collector market. They are for example the insurer for the American Philatelic Society, covering both dealers and collectors. Since a philatelic exhibition can have millions of dollars worth of stamps on site being viewed by thousands of visitors, they have an excellent overview of the actual (not imagined) problems. But they work on annual contracts. If you are a collector of watches or have a business, you should look into them. They are a British company with offices in Toronto. Ask for Gina.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Forget UPS: "Jewellery and watches shipped to the US and other international destinations are limited to 500.00$" . I would never sell anything worth 15000. on eBay !

Message 3 of 3
latest reply