Selling to South America experiences.

I have not been selling there.

Have you much experience selling to that continent ?

Don

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Avoid selling to South America.... They have a very corrupt postal system. It's not the customers as much as it is with the Customs Agents and Postal Workers. 

If you do sell there make sure you use Shipping with a Tracking Number and Insurance. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I've only had one sale to South America and that went to a city in Peru without problem (untracked small packet).

That said, I usually avoid selling to most South American countries -- especially Brazil (not that I consider Brazil particularly corrupt, but their customs import rules are a tangled swamp of delay)

3rd party insurance companies have countries they do not insure, which is an indicator.

For example, Shipsurance has Bolivia. Paraguay, and Venezuela as uninsurable South American countries.

You need to be aware of customs regulations. Brazil is very restrictive.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGintdest-e.asp

Many buyers in South America use reshippers based in the USA (to reduce cost, simplify their import procedures, and get around the issue that many sellers don't ship to their country).

-..-

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I opened up shipping to Brazil a little earlier this year because it's now served by Canada Post Tracked Packet. You won't find it on Paypal Shipping but you can buy postage via CPC EST. 

I had one sale to a Guest Buyer from Brazil which worked out fine, without issues. Delivery was about eight business days instead of the 14 estimated. 

That being said, I would not ship anywhere in South or Central America without solid tracking.

Before I officially shipped to Brazil, I had a few inquiries about items from buyers in Brazil. One went to an American forwarding address, the other was most certainly a scam artist trying his luck on me. Opening an account and then immediately testing me to see if I'd ship him my priciest item at that time without tracking. Uh, no. 

If you have items that can bear the cost of Tracked Packet service, I'd allow Brazilian buyers to bid or buy. But check their list of Restricted and/or Prohibited Items first. https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgIntDest-e.asp?letter=B

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Many Caribbean and South American buyers use re-shippers/freight forwarders to buy from North America.

The eBay seller is only responsible for getting the shipment to the forwarder's address.

Many of these are in Miami.

Google Maps can be your friend here.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

On another note-- I just shipped a 350gr parcel from BC to ON for under $15 by Expedited Parcel. Then I looked at your lovely silk scarves with $20+ shipping. Could I suggest you rethink the service you use on those?
Message 6 of 6
latest reply