Sept 18th Weekly Board Hour

Hi everyone, 

To accommodate an internal meeting, we're moving the session an hour later, but opening up the board a few hours early for as many questions as possible. See you at 2PM Eastern!

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Just wondering if you are making any progress on the following.

Re: August 14th Weekly Board Hour
in reply to toby_le_pue

@toby_le_pue wrote:

Why is it When you click on a members feedback number on the left side it takes you to ebay.com

In order to get to ebay.ca you have to copy and paste the members ID into the advanced search.

Hi toby_le_pue,

Thanks for pointing that out - the View listings is also going to .com - it's an open discussion at this point. The goal is to have them redirect to .ca instead, stay tuned for a fix.

Thanks, 

~Kalvin
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

The .com issue is still on the list of site issues here

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Site-Issues/Existing-eBay-ca-Site-Issues/m-p/132639

More recent issues have been added.

Kalvin, I noticed that when you update the site issues topic above, the topic date or time does not change so it does not go to the top of the list for anyone to see the topic. I have it bookmarked so I can find it.

How about replying to the topic with the current status of each issue and this will make it current as well as give a status report. Perhaps this should be done monthly so forum members will know what is happening. toby would not have to ask about the .com redirect issue.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

dktdkt
Community Member

some weeks ago i called customer service regarding my listing on ebay.ca - every time i list a new item the only shipping option is for canada.  no options are displayed for US or int'l.  nothing to click on to display additional out-of-canada shipping either.  this didn't used to be.  customer service said this problem would be fixed, but so far no fix.  why not?

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

bargainhunteram
Community Member
I have an opportunity to ship my American customers' orders from the U.S., which will help to lower my shipping costs considerably. What's the best way to handle this? Can I remain a .ca member or do I have to re-register on .com? Thanks.
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@dktdkt wrote:

some weeks ago i called customer service regarding my listing on ebay.ca - every time i list a new item the only shipping option is for canada.  no options are displayed for US or int'l.  nothing to click on to display additional out-of-canada shipping either.  this didn't used to be.  customer service said this problem would be fixed, but so far no fix.  why not?

Hi dktdkt,

This isn't anything I'm aware of, and I listed an item just days ago. Can you tell me the vitals of the item you attempted to list (category mostly), I'll have a look at this and get back to you.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@toby_le_pue wrote:

Just wondering if you are making any progress on the following.

Re: August 14th Weekly Board Hour
in reply to toby_le_pue

@toby_le_pue wrote:

Why is it When you click on a members feedback number on the left side it takes you to ebay.com

In order to get to ebay.ca you have to copy and paste the members ID into the advanced search.

Hi toby_le_pue,

Thanks for pointing that out - the View listings is also going to .com - it's an open discussion at this point. The goal is to have them redirect to .ca instead, stay tuned for a fix.

Thanks, 

~Kalvin

Hi toby_le_pue,

I'm actively pursuing this one, but nothing new has come of it yet. I do follow up quite regularly, just to make sure it hasn't been forgotten.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Kalvin, I noticed that when you update the site issues topic above, the topic date or time does not change so it does not go to the top of the list for anyone to see the topic. I have it bookmarked so I can find it.

How about replying to the topic with the current status of each issue and this will make it current as well as give a status report. Perhaps this should be done monthly so forum members will know what is happening. toby would not have to ask about the .com redirect issue.

Hi pocomocomputing,

I'll update the list once I have valuable details on any of them. Not sure it's worth updating to say issues haven't been fixed - I'll remove them from the list when it's been verified that they're no longer outstanding.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@bargainhunteram wrote:
I have an opportunity to ship my American customers' orders from the U.S., which will help to lower my shipping costs considerably. What's the best way to handle this? Can I remain a .ca member or do I have to re-register on .com? Thanks.

Hello bargainhunteram,

Congrats on expanding your business! From an eBay / listing perspective, I think this will be a lot simpler than you imagined.

You actually don't have to change anything on your registration, you can just use your existing account. Since you will be shipping items from inside the US, the best thing to do is create your listings on eBay.com instead of eBay.ca, that way you can state the actual shipping services that are to be used. Your listings will also benefit from US-only programs like Fast 'N Free or GSP if you choose to opt-in.

Let me know if you would like for me to expand on anything else to help you, and feel free to reach out via email if you want.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Kalvin, at the former eBay live, I was introduced to the concept of "best practises. That has evolved over the last five years I am sure. What are todays' best practises?

What constitutes a great listing that causes buyers to buy instead of moving on?

Photobucket
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Kalvin, at the former eBay live, I was introduced to the concept of "best practises. That has evolved over the last five years I am sure. What are todays' best practises?

What constitutes a great listing that causes buyers to buy instead of moving on?

Hi mr.elmwood,

The Seller Information Centre is a great resource for sellers - you should be able to view some best practices there, along with other ideas to help with your listings. 

There's also an opportunity to chat among our US friends on their discussion boards, to see what you can gather from them. Best practices are often best heard from sellers with first-hand tried, test & true experiences.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Hello Gentlemen,

Other than the fact that so many Canadians are upset about the GSP, there are still some site issues with it. Some of these issues directly affect Canadian buyers and some affect all GSP buyers.

-In some cases, if a buyer purchases an item on .ca rather than .com, they pay more in import fees even if the item is going to the same location.

-On both .com and .ca the shipping price shows one price on the search page and another shipping price when clicking on the listing

-There is no breakdown of the fees paid so the buyer does not know what they paid in taxes, duties and/or service charges. This also makes it difficult for registered GST sellers to claim the GST paid.

-I just noticed that on GSP listings there is no return policy stated for GSP countries even when the seller has a return policy for the U.S. Does this mean that there are no returns for GSP items?

As a seller, it really bothers me that these problems are taking so long to address as the more negativity about the GSP, the more likely that some buyers will stop shopping on ebay altogether.

As a buyer, the GSP rarely benefits Canadians which suggests that ebay does not have buyers best interests in mind and the fact that the current issues are still not fixed only adds fuel to the fire. I realize the purpose that ebay had in mind when implementing the GSP but if it is not working for some countries, why continue it? Or, at the very least, let sellers who are willing to ship with or without the GSP to give both options on their listings. Many other sites do have that option.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Like Seller Central? They eat their young. That is a viper pit.

More to my point, at Live in Chicago was an eBay Makeover Booth. A senior markeing strategist, Jennifer P, would shred your listing and re-do it according to eBay's best practises. I have been sticking with that format for the last five years.

Right now, I am taking the best of competitor sellers, my best, eBay's best, and making it into a listing. I have no idea how right I am.

I am trying to adapt to Cassini, buyers changing the way they buy, the way listings are sorted, etc. Buying is done over mobile devices. I have no idea how my listings are viewed by those buyers. I have no idea what those best practises are.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm so glad that it's going to be a simple process. Yes, I do have so e other questions. Should I email you separately with my inquiry?
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Hi pocomocomputing,

I'll update the list once I have valuable details on any of them. Not sure it's worth updating to say issues haven't been fixed - I'll remove them from the list when it's been verified that they're no longer outstanding.

Thanks,

If you remove them from the list, how will anyone know they were fixed? Leave on the list and mark them fixed with the date, no?

I do think periodic updates (monthly) to the list would inform eBay members that they are not forgotten and still being looked at. toby's post asking about the status of an item on the list (com versus ca listings) is a perfect example of where an updated list might have informed him of the status of the issue.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Like Seller Central? They eat their young. That is a viper pit.

More to my point, at Live in Chicago was an eBay Makeover Booth. A senior markeing strategist, Jennifer P, would shred your listing and re-do it according to eBay's best practises. I have been sticking with that format for the last five years.

Right now, I am taking the best of competitor sellers, my best, eBay's best, and making it into a listing. I have no idea how right I am.

I am trying to adapt to Cassini, buyers changing the way they buy, the way listings are sorted, etc. Buying is done over mobile devices. I have no idea how my listings are viewed by those buyers. I have no idea what those best practises are.

Give the Seller Information Centre a shot - a team manages these pages regularly & aims to keep them as relevant as possible.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Kalvin, at the former eBay live, I was introduced to the concept of "best practices. That has evolved over the last five years I am sure. What are today's' best practices?

You use one eBay picture and have more in the description. Put all your pictures in eBay photos and no photos in the listings (or at least in both places). That is one of the current best practices. Supposedly better for eBay mobile  because photos and description are separate tabs. A buyer may not look at the description and see the other photos there. They may only look at the eBay photos (one that you have).

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hello Gentlemen,

Other than the fact that so many Canadians are upset about the GSP, there are still some site issues with it. Some of these issues directly affect Canadian buyers and some affect all GSP buyers.

-In some cases, if a buyer purchases an item on .ca rather than .com, they pay more in import fees even if the item is going to the same location.

-On both .com and .ca the shipping price shows one price on the search page and another shipping price when clicking on the listing

-There is no breakdown of the fees paid so the buyer does not know what they paid in taxes, duties and/or service charges. This also makes it difficult for registered GST sellers to claim the GST paid.

-I just noticed that on GSP listings there is no return policy stated for GSP countries even when the seller has a return policy for the U.S. Does this mean that there are no returns for GSP items?

As a seller, it really bothers me that these problems are taking so long to address as the more negativity about the GSP, the more likely that some buyers will stop shopping on ebay altogether.

As a buyer, the GSP rarely benefits Canadians which suggests that ebay does not have buyers best interests in mind and the fact that the current issues are still not fixed only adds fuel to the fire. I realize the purpose that ebay had in mind when implementing the GSP but if it is not working for some countries, why continue it? Or, at the very least, let sellers who are willing to ship with or without the GSP to give both options on their listings. Many other sites do have that option.

Hello pjcdn2005,

Most of the issues you mention have been reported to and acknowledged by the GSP team. I know first hand that the import charge discrepancies between eBay.ca and eBay.com, as well as those between the search results and view item pages are currently being worked on.

The import charges breakdown not being provided is an issue we are tackling with Pitney Bowes. I unfortunately don't have an update on this at this time.

The returns part is something that needs to be worked out between buyers and sellers for now, until the Managed Returns team based in the US implements cross-border solutions currently being worked out.

I appreciate the sense of urgency you are communicating with regards to these issues and I would like to stress that both the eBay Canada and the GSP teams are working closely to get these resolved as fast as possible.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@bargainhunteram wrote:
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm so glad that it's going to be a simple process. Yes, I do have so e other questions. Should I email you separately with my inquiry?

We still have about 20 minutes together here, if you think other users might benefit from the answers you are seeking from me, then please post them here, otherwise you can use email. Up to you 🙂

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Poco, I actually figured that. I do not want to give up my pictures in the listings as they are much larger with better detail.

Can a buyer see all the gallery pictures on their mobile device? Are they easily directed to those pictures?
Photobucket
Message 20 of 29
latest reply