September 17 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers!

Welcome to our weekly chat. We will join you here at 1 PM Eastern. We are a little short staffed today but we will do our best to answer your questions.

See you then!

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: September 17 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Now for a technical question regarding annual fees for an eBay store.

From your fee page on eBay.ca:

There are 2 Stores subscription durations: monthly (charged monthly, automatically renews monthly) and yearly (charged monthly, automatically renews yearly).

Quebec residents who initially subscribed for a yearly subscription will automatically renew for an indeterminate period at the then current monthly rate.

Why the difference?

Why do residents of Quebec, when renewed, pay the higher monthly fee?  Is it fair to them?

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

ryanne@ebay.com wrote:

ryanne@ebay.com wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I realize that you are not privy to everything that Paypal does but if you can't answer the following questions, I would appreciate if you could look into it.

On the U.S. Paypal site they have announced that starting on Nov 18, the dispute process will have a limit of 180 days rather than the current 45 days.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Will this update be added to the Canadian Paypal agreement?

Other countries Paypal agreements?

Will this apply only to transactions filed through Paypal vs filed through the Money Back Guarantee?

Once the Money Back Guarantee is available on.ca will buyers who purchase on the .com and .ca be able to file through Paypal or will they only have the option of filing through the ebay MBG? In other words, will the 180 day dispute process only apply to users who buy on sites without the ebay MBG?

How can they possibly justify that a 180 days is reasonable? If a buyer claims a snad 6 months after receiving the item, there is no way to prove that the item is snad because it was used for 6 months or because it arrived like that.  As far as I know, 6 months is not the normal return window in most retail operations.

Hi @pjcdn2005,

Those are all amazing questions, some of which we are still trying to get answers to as well. Yes, the 180 days will also apply to .ca. The 180 days will apply whether or not we have eBay Money Back Guarantee. 

We are still trying to figure out what the claims process will look like once eBay Money Back Guarantee is live and the PayPal 180 day dispute process is live.

Thanks,

Ryanne

OK sorry further clarification. The dispute process will take you through the correct flow which means that if you purchased an item on .com but open a dispute on .ca, you will find yourself completely the flow on .com. If the 45 days are up in order to make a claim through eBay Money Back Guarantee, and you have paid with PayPal, then you will be taken through the PayPal Purchase Protection flow.

Ryanne

So the ebay MBG is in essence going to be extended?

This was brought up by someone else on another board but it is something to think about...

As it stands now, ebay listings aren't visible after more than 3 months so if a snad claim is filed after 4 months, a buyer could say that the listing said 'such and such' and there would be no way to compare it.

Seriously, I've disagree with other ebay/Paypal changes over the years but this one really is ridiculous and there's no logic for accepting returns for 6 months.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

bryan.ca@ebay.ca wrote:

@greenmangoes wrote:

The shopping cart is not available on ebay.ca to ebay.com buyers.

When will the "Add to cart" button be added on ebay.ca so that ebay.com buyers can purchase multiple items?

If someone wants to purchase multiple items on ebay.com they do not have the "Add to cart" option, they have to purchase each item separately.

Thanks

Thanks GreenMangoes,

The issue you are describing is not as the cart for ebay.ca was originally designed, meaning its a bug. I will perform a test to determine if I'm able to reproduce the issue you have described. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. 

Bryan

I suspect my U.S. buyers are still having this problem, since they are making multiple purchases just a few seconds or minutes apart as individual transactions rather than as a combined (cart) purchase.  I have a multiple-purchase shipping discount set up as a promotion, but if nobody can take advantage of it, it's useless.  I end up having to refund shipping overages after the fact, and of course I don't get refunded for the FVFs on those amounts.  I'd appreciate your looking into this. 

The next time I see a U.S. buyer struggling with a multiple purchase, I think I'll ask them specifically if they can describe any issues they had, so I can report the details here.

If you list on .ca, a buyer shopping on .com can not see the cart and therefore can not use it. Since ebay requires immediate payment for many items when the cart is not used, that makes it impossible for buyers to take advantage of a combined shipping discount.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Still no acknowledgement of my question in post #4, asked 48 minutes ago.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

There seems to be a lot of confusion over the newly revised GSP and what happens when items are received damaged or don't arrive at all.

Quoted from a post on the US boards:

Subtle shift in risk of loss/damage for the buyer:

As between your Buyer and Pitney Bowes, risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall transfer to your Buyer from Pitney Bowes and/or its third party parcel processing service providers when the GSP Item leaves the U.S. Shipping Center. - See more at: http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ship-smart/advanced-shipping/Global-Shipping-Program/GSPUAFA...

No one seems to know what this means and, true to form, the GSP "terms and conditions" are clear as mud. Does the seller take the loss? That would be unacceptable. Does the buyer take the loss? That would be equally unacceptable. Does eBay take the loss? PB? And what happens to the buyer's GSP payment?

Also from the same post:

Buyer can no longer request invoice

The Request total from the seller link is not available for Global Shipping Program purchases. You will see the total, including shipping, when you purchase the item.

Is there any truth to this? If so, why? A lot of buyers hate the GSP and refuse to purchase from sellers using it. And now even more sellers are being opted into the program by stealh, not to mention that implementation is also starting in the UK. Why push so hard when the program is so unpopular with the international buyers eBay seems to be courting assiduously by having reluctant sellers offering their items internationally? Are we going to see any buyer-friendly changes to this program?

Hi @00nevermind00,

Because we don't have this program in Canada those questions would have to be asked to the US team. We are also not sure what those changes mean to US sellers or international buyers. 

As I have stated before not all international countries dislike GSP but we understand that Canadians don't. The team here is working very hard to get some changes in place for Canadians.

Thanks for your patience,

Ryanne

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Now for a technical question regarding annual fees for an eBay store.

From your fee page on eBay.ca:

There are 2 Stores subscription durations: monthly (charged monthly, automatically renews monthly) and yearly (charged monthly, automatically renews yearly).

Quebec residents who initially subscribed for a yearly subscription will automatically renew for an indeterminate period at the then current monthly rate.

Why the difference?

Why do residents of Quebec, when renewed, pay the higher monthly fee?  Is it fair to them?

Hi pierrelebel,

It is a legal thing but I couldn't tell you why. I just know that we had to update the stores help page and stores agreement with that verbiage.

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

Thank you Ryanne. I will try asking on the US weekly chat.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

bryan.ca@ebay.ca wrote:

@greenmangoes wrote:

bryan.ca@ebay.ca wrote:

@greenmangoes wrote:

The shopping cart is not available on ebay.ca to ebay.com buyers.

When will the "Add to cart" button be added on ebay.ca so that ebay.com buyers can purchase multiple items?

If someone wants to purchase multiple items on ebay.com they do not have the "Add to cart" option, they have to purchase each item separately.

Thanks

Thanks GreenMangoes,

The issue you are describing is not as the cart for ebay.ca was originally designed, meaning its a bug. I will perform a test to determine if I'm able to reproduce the issue you have described. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. 

Bryan

Just click on any item in my store and change .ca to .com and you will see what I mean.

Sorry GreenMangoes I was under the impression you had an issue ON eBay.ca. So, this would be on 'imported inventory' cart issue we have been tracking on items that have been listed in other markets other then ebay.com. We do not have a date right now to share, sorry that I cannot be further help in this matter.

Bryan

Bryan,  In many cases ebay forces the buyer to pay for an item right away if it is not put in a cart. Since the carts from different sites do not work together, the simple solution seems to be for ebay to stop requiring immediate payment (unless the seller specifies it) and allow buyers to ask for a combined invoice after purchase. I believe that more items require immediate payment on .com than on .ca but because so much of our business is done by buyers shopping on .com, it is a huge problem.

At the very least, since ebay caused this problem by forcing immediate payment, they should give refunds of fvf when a seller gives a buyer a partial refund for shipping.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

I am confused!  What else is new?

Could you please clarify the distinctions between the Canadian site (eBay.ca) and the American site (eBay.com).

It appears to me that some eBay policies apply based on which site the purchase took place, regardless of who the seller is (Canadian or American), who the buyer is (Canadian or American) or where the item was actually listed (eBay.ca or eBay.com).

I am thinking of a buyer's ability to make a claim for non receipt or goods substantially not as described.  eBay seems to tell us that a buyer must make a claim one way (eBay) if the transaction took place on eBay.com and a different way (PayPal) if the transaction took place on eBay.ca, regardless of all other factors.  How is a buyer or seller to know which site was actually used for a transaction?

My question is: how is a Canadian eBay member (buyer or seller) to know which policy applies (.ca or .com) to a specific transaction?

Hi pierrelebel,

Unfortunately there isn't one easy answer that I can give you which you probably already knew. For buyers using eBay Money Back Guarantee they should be redirected to the site they purchased the item from so they shouldn't need to know. 

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

OK thanks for a lively chat this week and all your great questions. See you next week.

Ryanne

Message 30 of 31
latest reply

Oh I almost forgot but I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on the new eBay.com Community boards. Let me know next week how you feel about them.

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 31 of 31
latest reply