Shipping An Item Back

So I got an item that does not work. I have tried everything and it just doesn't work so I messaged letting the seller know. He has said he would like the item back to test it and will ship me a working one. Is this at my expense? How is that fair? I paid to have it shipped here, it's not working and now I pay to ship it back to get a replacement?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Shipping An Item Back

One of the risks of buying things online, unfortunately. eBay's policies state that return shipping is to be paid by the buyer.

Now, in most cases, if an item is defective or otherwise not as described, the seller will offer to pay the return shipping because it's just good customer service. Unfortunately this can't be enforced. If you've already asked for the seller to pay return shipping, and they have refused, then you will have to ship it back on your own dime if you want a refund or another product. It is advised you send it with tracking as well, so you're covered by eBay's buyer protection policy.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If the seller is in China, forget it.

Do a PP claim for Item Not as Described.

You will still have to return it on your own money but you will not be strung along till you are out of time for a claim.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It's not in China it's in Canada however I opened up a dispute of not as described because the description said it was in working and good condition and will keep it open until it's done because not only do I have to ship my item back to them but they have to ship me a new one and I can't guarantee the new item will get here in the 30 day time limit and I also can't guarantee that the replacement will work. Once I have a working item I will close the dispute but for now it stays open. The seller didn't like that much but that's OK I'm just protecting myself

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Hello 'jhay',

Have you seen this link that tells you all about how to return an item?

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

When returning, you have to use a Delivery Confirmed service.  Note where it says,

"To show that you've sent an item back to the seller, you'll need to ship the item with tracking information

and then enter the tracking number in the Resolution Center".

Also, be aware that you have 45 days, and not 30, in which to open your claim.  . . .  Within Canada?

That would have been loads of time to return the item and have a working replacement sent back to

you, if that is what you want.  The fact that you already opened the case may have been what annoyed the seller.

When you first contacted him, was he unhelpful and disagreeable?, -- is that what prompted you to go the

'opened claim' route?

Once you open a case you have only 20 days to escalate, http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/paypal-buyer-protection.html#paypal

so at this point unless you have time to make the swap, I'd suggest you simply mail it back to the seller 

and get a refund.

I understand it seems unfair to have to mail something back at your own expense when it arrived

broken in the first place.  If it was non-functioning when it was sent and the seller is indifferent to your

plight, well, that's what feedback is for.  Your seller seems quite reasonable, though. 

Some sellers will refund your return shipping as well once they get the item back and see that it is

indeed not working.  But a seller will not be forced to refund that.  All that you are guaranteed to get

back is your original payment (item price + shipping).

If he was willing to send a replacement, the more astute course of action may have been to mail it back

with tracking, wait for the replacement, and if no replacement was in your hands by no later than day 43,

then open the claim and enter the tracking number to get refunded.  You can protect yourself without

injuring the seller.

Something to think about for next time. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

He has said he would like the item back to test it and will ship me a working one. Is this at my expense? How is that fair? 

Does WalMart pay your bus fare to return an item to their store?

Not the best analogy, but...

This is based on Paypal's Standard Practice. You must show that the item has been received in order to get a refund.

As mentioned above, some seller's have a Best Practice of refunding the return postage if the problem was the fault of the seller. 

For example, you order a red sweater, the one you get is blue. The seller refunds return postage on receipt of the item. 

But, you order a red sweater. The one you get is scarlet. You thought it would be cherry. The sweater is 'as described" (red) so no return postage. 

In this case,  if you do not return the item, you will not get a refund from the seller or from Paypal.  Personally I would ask for a refund rather than a replacement or a repair. 

After the refund you can communicate with the seller and come to a decision about getting another similar or repaired item. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Actually Walmart does pay for a return shipping label I just went through this with Walmart actually I needed to return something, I called them and they mailed me a return shipping label. Almost every single company I have shopped with online either mail a return shipping label with your order just in case or they will mail you one if you need one. Return shipping should never be at a customers expense it's not the customers fault that the item doesn't work. I'm sure he was unhappy that I opened a dispute but it's not as if I'm asking for a refund I opened it to protect myself and will close it when it's resolved and I receive a replacement item that works. I wasn't aware that would make him mad I have never had to return something ever. Plus the closest post office is a 45 minute walk with 2 large hills and I don't drive so now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to print a return label through Paypal and I don't have a scale to even weigh it.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have never had to return something ever on Ebay not for all online shopping sites just though I'd make that clear.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

If I were you I would ship it back and get a refund,I would not take a chance to get a replacement even if the seller offered me free shipping.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply