Shipping cost discrepancy between search result page and actual listing

realhf
Community Member

The shipping cost shown on the results page doesn't reflect the one in the actual listing 99% of the time now and it's an issue that got worst for the past year. Back then, I thought it was a bug that eBay would fix it at some point but now it seems it is the norm.

Whenever I search, I'd always choose to list the result in lowest total price (including shipping) as top/first. I noticed the shipping cost discrepancy between the search results and actual listings is misleading: a listed item with cheaper total cost (on the result page) will show up higher than an item that actually cost cheaper in total based on the actual listing page.

Any explanation from eBay Canada why the shipping cost on the results page doesn't reflect the shipping cost in the actual listing (which is the one we end up paying)?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I've noticed that on gsp listings....have you seen it happen on non gsp items too?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Yep. It's frustrating when you end up looking at each listing one by one because of this whole shipping cost fiasco.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I haven't noticed this. Can you post a search string and an item from it that shows a different price?

It is understandable that the search results must be produced from a quicker calculation and the detail page should be spot on (except for the actual currency exchange rate.)

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I have noticed this too.  Here's one that I have in my watch list:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351254058074?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

In my watch list it shows $14.99 shipping.  Open the page, $3.75.  I suspect the watch page is detecting my IP being in Canada.  My shipping address is always set to USA, so I think it does the actual shipping address check only when you open the auction page.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Just for giggles, I tried doing a search for the same item on eBay.ca, eBay.com and eBay Australia.  In all instances, there was a discrepancy between the shipping rate for a GSP item in "list view" search results and the shipping rate on the listing page, with the listing page price being higher.

I just tried looking up an item on eBay.ca with a postcode in southwest London as the shipping destination and there was also a slight difference between the two shipping rates, but the rate on the listing page (in Canadian dollars, mind you) was actually slightly lower than what showed on the search results page.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply