Shipping toUS but buyers is in South Korea

I got an offer  from a buyer who has a shipping address to the US but by checking his ID I have found out that he is based in South Korea.

Does anybody Have any knowledge and input in this kind of transactions?

Is there something I should know or be aware of?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It's really no different than shipping to a buyer who IS in the USA.

The only issue (a non-issue in my book) is that if the buyer has an Not As Described issue you might find yourself covering the return shipping cost from South Korea.

I suggest you pack it REALLY well if it's at all fragile, it's taking a long route and will pass through more hands than a direct shipment.

When I said non-issue above I mean that I have full confidence that my buyers will get what they expect and be happy with it so returns are a non-issue.

One last thing, if you ship to this forwarder make sure to follow any instructions for marking the package. Even if you get none you should have the eBay listing number on the outside of the package to make it easier for the forwarder to match it up to the correct customer.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I am dealing with a problem see below with the delivery on time measurement.  

Hello Raphael,

I am having an issue with the new measurement: delivery on time.  I ship light packet so there is no tracking.

On Oct 17/15, I sold a CD to a buyer – Item 191712527304.  The buyer was having the item shipped to the US were it would then be reshipped to him in Kazakhstan, where he lives and works.  I don’t ship to Kazakhstan but I do ship to the US.   I shipped out the next business day on Oct 19/15.  In Dec, they buyer left me positive feedback stating "Received quickly and in good condition all the way to Kazakhstan!".  He left me 5’s for all the DSR’s.  Where the problem is:  When he goes to leave feedback, ebay asks the buyer whether he received the CD within the dates (as set by ebay for shipping from Canada to the US).  Of course he can only answer yes or no and he answers No because, it was not delivered to him in Kazakhstan within the 2 week period allowed for US shipments.  So I got dinged for a late shipment.  I don’t feel this is fair.  Buyer was happy, he just wasn’t aware that answering that question “Did you get the item by (this date)? with a No would cause me a problem. 

I know that in the last 2 months I have sent several CD’s to addresses in the US which forward them on to countries I don’t ship to.   When they go to leave feedback it is going to ask whether they received the CD within the time period from Canada to the US.   I can just see this becoming an issue for me.

I called ebay and they were not any help for me.  What can I do?  Why should I be penalized here, I don’t feel this is fair.  

The thing to keep in mind is that by agreeing to ship untracked to a forwarding address, a seller exposes themselves to some risk. How could eBay know that the shipping address used by the buyer isn't their true shipping address? We provide sellers with tools to allow or restrict shipping to specified countries, if the seller decides to circumvent their own stated terms, they do so at their own risk.

My advice would be to warn any buyer located outside of the regions where a seller ships and who asks to use a forwarding address in this manner to be mindful of the on time shipping question at feedback, or to always use tracking in such situations.

With that said, if the buyer did not ask if this shipping arrangement was okay before buying, and still replied no to the on time shipping question, it would be different and I believe, possible to appeal the defect. If this is the case with this example, please let me know.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I have a fella that buys a couple of radios every year and he is based in South Korea but I ship to Florida. I used Google Earth on the first buy to take a look at the address and it is a Shipping Warehouse. I figure he buys stuff and when he gets enough he crates it and sends it to Korea.
Buyer has never been a problem.
Google Earth is handy when you are a bit suspicious about an address. I use it all the time.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I have been in this situation twice. The first time it happened (ebay and shipping address did not match) I checked it out, and my understanding was that as long as I was shipping to the Paypal shipping address everything was fine. Some people have multiple shipping addresses registered with Paypal and use whichever one works best for them. In one case the customer was based in Australia, and had the package shipped to a relative in the USA. The other customer was in Korea and had the item shipped to relatives in Toronto. Both times I shipped to the address that showed up in Paypal. The eBay address was different.

Now that eBay and Paypal are separate, I am wondering if the situation is the same and exactly what the rules are. Do I have to ship to the address registered with eBay, or is it still OK to ship to the Paypal address?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Now that eBay and Paypal are separate, I am wondering if the situation is the same and exactly what the rules are. Do I have to ship to the address registered with eBay, or is it still OK to ship to the Paypal address?

Always ship to the address provided at the time of payment. Buyers can screw that up for you but nowhere near as many buyers do that compared to the number of buyers who have an old and/or invalid address on eBay.

The eBay/PayPal split didn't change anything in this regard.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply