So, since when has eBay decided not to protect sellers in favour of buyers?

So, how is it that a buyer can receive an item, then more than a week of using/wearing same, damage it then claim item not as described/damaged and request a refund? At the sellers expense? Something is very wrong Here safe and sound. love you. Since sellers are the ones paying all the fees and such?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

xeposter
Community Member

@fayemcc1 wrote:

So, how is it that a buyer can receive an item, then more than a week of using/wearing same, damage it then claim item not as described/damaged and request a refund? At the sellers expense? Something is very wrong Here safe and sound. love you. Since sellers are the ones paying all the fees and such?

Yup, it is called the eBay Money Back Guarantee. They can return the item to get their money back if they get it not as described. eBay does know about what you are talking about...that is why they only give them 30 days to use the Money Back Guarantee.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Several years now.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Ah, you've never worked retail?

My favourite is the one who purposely damages an item (eg removes a button from a blouse) and then asks for a discount at the cash.

Look, it's business. Like the poor, the scammers are always with us.

The most annoying part of the new Money Back Guarantee, is that it only actually works if both buyers and sellers are in the same country. Otherwise the seller CANNOT send a return shipping label.

Without knowing  the exact situation, I can only suggest that you get around the problem by accepting photos of the damage, in lieu of a return.

At the moment, although you retired from selling for a year to let your feedback recover from your last four feedbacks (one neg, one soft positive, and two neutrals) it might be a good idea to do some intensive buying to move those at least 25 places down the page. For most buyers that will put them on page two.

Perception.

I would not be surprised if this transaction went badly because a scammer saw your weakness.

Did something go badly wrong last year. Not my business, of course, but that was a precipitous change.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

This is what we as sellers have to work with today. Im not in favor of eBay's Money Back Guarantee and Im sure it wouldn't be hard to find other that feel the same. It is the way it is.

Ebay has created a loophole where every buyer can have their return paid for by simply claiming, NOT AS DESCRIBED.

I remember when they first brought this in. Ebay went on how this will instill buyers confidence and in turn, produce more buyers. All I have seen is the same amount or less buyers. But now were expected to pay any return shipping cost that the buyer wants to place,  as well as any taxes or duty associated with the return.  Im talking international buyers only. . So basically the buyer could in fact place the return with overnight shipping ( very expensive) , place a $1000 item declaration and you as the seller will have to pay these charges.  

When selling to the states we can't send a return shipping form due to not being in the same country as one of my ebay friends mentioned, but ebay does inform the seller and the buyer that the seller needs to work out the return shipping cost and if the buyer doesn't receive a solution that he or she may contact Ebay to step in. Where Ebay could refund the buyer and the buyer does not need to return the item.

Scared yet!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

No.. I have worked retail... I just think that eBay no longer cares for the sellers that pay them to list their items.... Sad sad state of affairs.  I no longer trust eBay as I used to. I think I will start using Amazon.... But, I will continue to buy from eBay since it costs me next to nothing.  EBay needs to update their "Not As Described" to within 3 days of item delivery... 30 days offers no protection to the sellers that effectively pay the wages etc of the eBay Corp.  it costs them nothing if a buyer abuses the system.  But, that is just my opinion. The issue was resolved, sort of... But this policy really goes against common sense.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@fayemcc1 wrote:

EBay needs to update their "Not As Described" to within 3 days of item delivery... 30 days offers no protection to the sellers that effectively pay the wages etc of the eBay Corp.  it costs them nothing if a buyer abuses the system.  But, that is just my opinion. The issue was resolved, sort of... But this policy really goes against common sense.

If ebay changed it, scammers would just wise up and pay with a credit card, and file a chargeback in the same manner.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

If ebay changed it, scammers would just wise up and pay with a credit card, and file a chargeback in the same manner.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

im absolutely not convinced that credit card company will charge back in the way ebay does.

last time I had to call my credit card company for a problem with a merchant, they do a REAL investigation not just click'n play the money out the merchant pocket.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply