Stock Images?

I've noticed a few things about competing sellers:

- Many successful sales have included only a stock image

- Those sales are mostly NOT for New items

- eBay won't let me use stock images and clearly says they can only be used for New items

Should I report those listings for violating policy? Or is there some reason why they are able to get around that rule about stock images? Thanks for any answers!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Stock Images?

"Or is there some reason why they are able to get around that rule about stock images?"

Because nobody reported the listings.

"Should I report those listings for violating policy?"

If you want to waste time being the eBay police, why not?

There is an advantage in you taking pictures and showing the actual items.  Many potential buyers recognize that.  In some ways, you benefit by letting your competitors break the rules!

Think about it.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Stock Images?

I have done the eBay Police thing, it is a waste of time.

There is a large pool of buyers that want a picture of the actual item they are getting.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Stock Images?

Thanks for the replies. I also thought buyers would tend to choose something with a real photo, but searching through the Sold listings seems to say otherwise. For now, I won't bother policing them.

Any idea how they are able to use stock images though?
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Stock Images?

Probably copying them to their hard drive and then uploading them. I have done that when I needed a better picture.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Stock Images?

Many people do not buy books with stock photos.....

They want to see the actual book being sold

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Stock Images?

tobyshitzu
Community Member

If you are talking about games like you are selling, there is nothing to report as those categories can use stock photos

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Stock Images?

I have real pictures (except for the brand new stuff because the stock pictures are better) and my sales do not increase with real pictures. I don't think people care, honestly.

When I buy something on eBay I look at the feedback. 100 percent and I buy. Anything less and I don't. That way you have less risk.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Stock Images?

eBay's rule

Only use a  stock photo for a new, unused item. For all other items, upload a photo that shows its actual condition

Book sellers do love to use stock photos....  and many times  the true condition of a book is poorly described....  and many many times without a photo of the book being sold.

Some sellers use a "may have" approach....  Say the book may have a whole list of defects...  and not be specific to the book being sold....usually at sites other than eBay

Buyers do like to see the item being sold.....

stock photos hide defects.....  in the actual item being sold....

and many times  the stock photo does not correlate with the look of the actual book....  wrong edition, wrong publication date, wrong cover, wrong color... wrong  many more times...

and if a stock photo is used....  it must  be  exactly the same as the actual item being sold... and that is why  the stock photo can only be used for new, unused items.... and even then there could be a poor correlation between what is seen in the photo and the item being sold.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Stock Images?

media items are exempt

Stock photos can only be used for brand-new items.
Stock photos may no longer be used as the primary photo for a used item listing. Catalog images are acceptable, but not as the primary photo for used items; exceptions are the Books, Movies, Music, and Video Game categories. Catalog images for video game consoles, however, must adhere to the new requirement.

: http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/how-to-take-product-photos/ebay-photo-requirements/#sthash.e...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Stock Images?

Stock photos are acceptable in certain situations... as indicated.

One must be careful that the buyer gets an item as pictured in the stock photo...

There are many instances where the item listed may not have an exact stock photo on file.....

and that is why some buyers choose not to buy a book with a stock photo...

This I know from personal experience....  I have sold at a higher price  when there was a book listed at a lower price but with a stock photo

and ... from a very large book seller on eBay and elsewhere on the internet....mention stock photos  and this sellers nose gets dramatically out of joint...He has sold thousands of books on eBay, and has had some bad experiences because of stock photos... 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Stock Images?

I scan rather than photograph my items, because they are flat and I get a better image. Also I don't know how to use my digital camera with the computer.

But on some oversize items I will use the stock photo in addition to my own scans. 

My scans go first in the up to a dozen free images I'm allowed.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply