Switching ebay store from .ca to .com

Ever since the switch to Canadian Dollars about 6 months ago, my sales (especially to US buyers) have gone way down (despite a larger inventory compared to 6 months ago and lower prices). I'm seriously thinking about switching from ebay.ca to ebay.com just to be able to list in USD as I did until around June but I have a few questions, especially to ebay store owners?

- Since I opened my ebay store on .ca will I have to pay 2 x store fees (on .ca and .com) if I make the switch?

- Could I list on both ebay.com and ebay.ca (for those listings that make more sense to list on .ca)? and would I have to pay 2 x store fees then?

- Will I still get ebay shipping supply coupons when I list on .com? and could I run into any problems using those coupons and having the shipping supplies shipped to Canada?

- Since I have to charge GST/HST from Canadian buyers, will I still be able to do that on .com?

- If there are there any other possible issues about switching to (or listing on) ebay.com that I'm missing, please let me know...

Thanks so much in advance!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Switching ebay store from .ca to .com

@coinsandcameras4u wrote:

... I'm seriously thinking about switching from ebay.ca to ebay.com just to be able to list in USD as I did until around June but I have a few questions ...

- Since I opened my ebay store on .ca will I have to pay 2 x store fees (on .ca and .com) if I make the switch?

- Could I list on both ebay.com and ebay.ca (for those listings that make more sense to list on .ca)? and would I have to pay 2 x store fees then?

There is no need to switch the store. You can already list in US$ -- you just start making the listings on ebay.com

Only one store fee needed for both sites. You save the exchange rate on the monthly fee if you remain on eBay.ca

eBay.com works best for flat rate shipping (Canada Post calculated shipping is not an option). Shipping choices (if shipping from Canada using eBay.com):

To the USA (All flat rate, no calculated)
Economy Shipping from outside US
Standard Shipping from outside US
Expedited Shipping from outside US
Flat rate Freight

-.-

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.
Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

You can have up to 5 separate International rates for countries you select plus can have "Require buyers to contact you for international shipping costs" as a choice. This last International option allows the potential buyer to ask for a cost and you can calculate a shipping cost to their country.

-.-

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

As a coin dealer, most of your items can ship Flat Rate using Canada Post's Light Packet. So the main barrier to listing on dotCOM, needing to use variable parcel rates is gone.

I list most of my items on dotCOM, but I wonder if, when you look more closely at the destinations of your sales, have you noticed that any dropoff in US sales is matched by a rise in Overseas sales? I have, and it has been mentioned here more than once.

BTW, when your US customer sees a dotCA listing on dotCOM, he sees your prices in both US and Canadian dollars. In the same way, your German customer sees your prices in euros.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

There is no need to switch the store. You can already list in US$ -- you just start making the listings on ebay.com

Only one store fee needed for both sites. You save the exchange rate on the monthly fee if you remain on eBay.ca

eBay.com works best for flat rate shipping (Canada Post calculated shipping is not an option). Shipping choices (if shipping from Canada using eBay.com):

To the USA (All flat rate, no calculated)
Economy Shipping from outside US
Standard Shipping from outside US
Expedited Shipping from outside US
Flat rate Freight

-.-

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.
Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

You can have up to 5 separate International rates for countries you select plus can have "Require buyers to contact you for international shipping costs" as a choice. This last International option allows the potential buyer to ask for a cost and you can calculate a shipping cost to their country.

Thank you so much @ypdc_dennis! I already use the flatrate shipping option so this shouldn't be an issue...

Does anyone know if there will be any issues with the ebay shipping supply coupons? Will I still get those coupons from ebay.ca or will they come from ebay.com? If they come from ebay.com, can I still have those shipping supplies shipped to Canada?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

As a coin dealer, most of your items can ship Flat Rate using Canada Post's Light Packet. So the main barrier to listing on dotCOM, needing to use variable parcel rates is gone.

I list most of my items on dotCOM, but I wonder if, when you look more closely at the destinations of your sales, have you noticed that any dropoff in US sales is matched by a rise in Overseas sales? I have, and it has been mentioned here more than once.

BTW, when your US customer sees a dotCA listing on dotCOM, he sees your prices in both US and Canadian dollars. In the same way, your German customer sees your prices in euros.

I have noticed a rise in Canadian + Overseas sales unfortunately these do not match the dropoff in US sales (not even close).

I figured, despite the rise in Canadian + Overseas sales and lowering my prices, I still get about 20-30% fewer sales per month for the 2nd half of this year compared to the 1st...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Switching the store from .ca to com... means your subscription cost will be in US dollars on eBay.com.

With an Anchor store... which is what I have...  the cost on eBay.com would be $299.95 in US Dollars.

Right now I pay $299.95 in Canadian dollars..... NOT US dollars

Keep the store on eBay.ca  and you pay the Canadian dollar value  which for an Anchor store  it would be about $225.00 US.

With a store on eBay.ca  and listing on eBay.com  your fees for listings would be in US dollars.....  but with a lower store subscription paid in Canadian dollars.

Do a comparison for stores fees... eBay Canada versus eBay US... and then make a decision  with respect what may choose to do....  

and look at the advantage of listing on eBay.com with a store registered on eBay Canada.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

You are registered in Canada so your coupon for supplies will come from .ca.

You may find that most pf the listing promos given to Canadian sells are for .ca only so you might want to try listing on both sites....perhaps keep your Canadian coins here.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your insight. This seems easier than I thought...

Message 8 of 8
latest reply