The 45 Day Limit Rule For A Buyer To File An INR Is No Longer

While the 45 Day Limit is still in place with Paypal, this is no longer the case with eBay.

INR filed against me on an Item Sold to Russia on March 19th.

New Rules, Buyer can file an INR up to thirty days after the last Estimated Delivery Date.

In this Case May 5th is the LAST Estimated Delivery Date, he filed today, but had until June 4th to file.

Called eBay & was informed this was a New Rule.

Had no choice but to refund the buyer & yes, I will receive a DEFECT for making the Right Business Decision by refunding the Buyer as I had no tracking as proof.

This is really flawed as it is punishing Honest Sellers with proven Track Records.

Keep this in mind Gang, Buyers can file an INR thirty days after The Last Estimated Delivery Date.

I will remain positive as usual & continue to be honest, but this New Rule will just add undeserved Defects to undeserving sellers.

Love you eBay, but now you are starting to test my patience.

Fifteen Minutes left in my Lunch Hour, but somehow, I'm no longer hungry.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: The 45 Day Limit Rule For A Buyer To File An INR Is No Longer

Should add that the Buyer had never contacted me before Filing An INR.

Flawed System, you bet.

With the amount of INRs I receive, my TRS Discount will be toast.

Someone please bring this up on the Wednesday Session.

We deserve an explanation for this.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I'm sorry that happened BB.

I knew about the 30 days but I am surprised that they say that May 5 would be the latest expected delivery date...that's more than 6 weeks!

I just checked a couple of my own listings. Most of the delivery estimates are either 5-10 business days or are blank. But Russia shows a delivery estimate of 16-33 business days. Wow. I suppose in a way that is good as then a buyer doesn't feel pressured to put in a claim too early but 30 days after that time seems excessive.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

This is probably old news to you guys, but have you noticed the leap in Expedited shipping costs?

I used to bump up to expedited because the cost was a few dollars more, but a few days ago I noticed that the difference is much greater now.

I'll be sending a lot more items without tracking.

Also, I don't know if you're aware but as a buyer it's not even possible to open a case for an item shipped from the States for quite some time now and I'm guessing that the time may be greater for overseas items.

I don't recall the exact number of days but it's at least 30 from the US.

I know that doesn't help you, but they seem to have changed that as well.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Also, I don't know if you're aware but as a buyer it's not even possible to open a case for an item shipped from the States for quite some time now and I'm guessing that the time may be greater for overseas items.

I don't recall the exact number of days but it's at least 30 from the US.

According to ebay, buyers can open an inr 1 day after the first estimated delivery day. If a seller has a one day handling time and is shipping USPS first class package international, a buyer should be able to open a case about 9 business days after the item was shipped.

Based on what I've read from other sellers, a case can be opened on Paypal even sooner than that.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I've had more trouble than ever before with items arriving on time recently and I haven't been able to open cases until after day 30.

That's happened a number of times now.

I've noticed sellers complaining  about buyers opening cases prematurely and because of my own experience I haven'y quite been able to understand how that happens.

I can't do a thing that early.

That said:  Maybe my sellers have very late shipping dates.  I hadn't thought to check that because I'm only watching for the 45 day mark.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@bb_cool_stuff wrote:

Should add that the Buyer had never contacted me before Filing An INR.

With the amount of INRs I receive, my TRS Discount will be toast.

So sorry to hear this happened to you, 'bb'.  You sell with integrity, and it's a shame to be punished for trying to do the right thing. 

I think the first statement you made above is one we should focus on for a possible interim solution (assuming eBay finally hears sellers' pleas to revise this ridiculous system). 

I am going to start sending the following to my buyers' personal email shown on Paypal after every sale (keeping in mind that I always give them a delivery estimate as well): "Thank you so much for your purchase (etc. etc.).  If you have any questions at all prior to your parcel arriving, please don't hesitate to contact me at "_________" [this will be my personal email] so that I can respond to you directly". 

This may be the only hope to avoid unfair defects where buyers open a case prematurely or else inadvertently get routed to open a case when just asking a question.  Of course, not every buyer will think of emailing the seller directly first, but it may cut down on the sheer number of potential defects.

I will be there on Wed. if I can. 

It occurred to me that this whole defect programme could be one way eBay has devised of getting rid of a whole lot of TRS sellers that are costing them money in discounts, amongst other "weeding" they want done.  EBay giveth and eBay taketh away...

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I am going to start sending the following to my buyers' personal email shown on Paypal after every sale (keeping in mind that I always give them a delivery estimate as well): "Thank you so much for your purchase (etc. etc.).  If you have any questions at all prior to your parcel arriving, please don't hesitate to contact me at

I would suggest sending to the buyers email address instead of the PayPal email address, I don't know about you but I get lots of payments that come from someone other than the actual buyer (friend or family).

By the way, this is the type of message I've been sending for 14 years, most people only remember (if at all) the last things they heard in terms of delivery estimates, what was stated on the listing page is usually long forgotten if it was even noticed in the first place.

If you buy anywhere other than eBay the only place you will find any kind of accurate delivery estimate is in the order confirmation/shipped notice, going back to the page for the item you purchased would rarely have anything.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@recped wrote:

I would suggest sending to the buyers email address instead of the PayPal email address, I don't know about you but I get lots of payments that come from someone other than the actual buyer (friend or family).

Yes, good point.  I don't get too many that differ, but there have been a few.  The email address on the eBay transaction detail page should hopefully be the one that's connected directly to the buyer's eBay account, and that's what I'll use. 

It's unfortunate, but I don't trust eBay Messages anymore to convey my messages without some sort of interference.  I've even had an entire message deleted when I hit "send" because of a word in it like "email" -- not an email address, but just the reference to emailing is apparently enough.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

...buyer can open an inr 1 day after the first estimated delivery day.

Exactly what happened pj.

Will longer ship to Russia, funny I have sent two more items there lately.

I don't have an Issue Refunding, but I guess I have to accept the " Defect " for doing the right thing.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

..getting rid of a whole lot of TRS sellers that are costing them money in discounts....

That has definitely entered my mind rose.

Sure punish me with a Defect if I have done something wrong.

No tracking means I have to refund, which I did.

Two Refunds in less than a week, though one did not file an INR.

I guess that leaves me with Two Defects in less than a week.

Jeez eBay, don't you find it a little odd that after all the refunds I have sent, not one of these items was delivered to the buyer in nearly nine years of selling.

Again, someone please mention this during the Wednesday Session.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Should mention the CS Agent was very sympathetic.

She also mentioned it is imperative to use the "Report A Buyer Function."

They are monitored weekly, but they cannot do anything if a pattern has not been established.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply