The Harper government is a cruel government.........

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/05/29/jennifer-obrien-profiles-the-ballesteros-family-who-fled-colombia-...

While politicians frequently write letters to vouch for families trying to stay in Canada, the Ballesteroses say they were turned down when they asked London Tory backbencher Ed Holder for support.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Great story--forget the part where they moved to the states ILLEGALLY then to Canada ILLEGALLY, but trying to figure out the rest!

Oscar Ballesteros Franco was a bullfighter in Colombia in the 1980s, which made him a public figure and a target for guerrillas with FARC. After he refused to join their cause, they threatened to kill him, Ballesteros says. He went into hiding — first in Colombia, then in Spain, where he continued bullfighting. There, he met his wife, Lorena, and they had their first two children.

Oscar Ballesteros Franco,  48:  Employed at factory-- makes him 15 in 1980

Lorena Herrera,  33:  Cleaner with two companies-- makes her BORN in 1980

There, he met his wife, Lorena, and they had their first two children.--  they have been in |Canada for 4 years and the states for 12 years--that adds to 16. Only 2 kids meet the requirments of OLDER than 16 (they had 2 kids) 1 is 18 the other is 26 meaning she must have had a child at 7 since she is only 33

think a lot is missing from this story??

but the main thing is there is a LEGAL channel and an ILLEGAL channel. Those that cannot follow the rules can go back and do it like all the others

Message 2 of 63
latest reply

I sent Ed Holder an email asking some questions about this family.  I said that if he knows any reasons why this family would not make good neighbours for the rest of us Londoners - now was the time to speak up.  If not, he should get behind them and support their bid to stay here.

Message 3 of 63
latest reply

Great story--forget the part where they moved to the states ILLEGALLY then to Canada ILLEGALLY

Might have something to do with ........."After he refused to join their cause, they threatened to KILL him"

In just the city of Cali alone, it is reported by their own media that there are 1700 working assassins in the city. Sexual assault against women in Colombia is rampant and a report in Oct 2012 disclosed that the authorities are doing nothing about it.

You've obviously never been in that position in a country with a very high murder rate and kidnap rate, sexual assault rate and a major location for drug trafficking. This man and wife decided to protect their family and they fled in fear of their lives (because dead, is forever). They found a home and established themselves and have been in no trouble and now the Harper government has decided to send them back to Hades! Harper and his cronies should go live down there (with no bodyguards) and see how he likes it. It might open those smug eyes of his.  

Photobucket
Message 4 of 63
latest reply

I sent one to him also puck. I tried his phone first but .........."he was unavailable to comment".

Photobucket
Message 5 of 63
latest reply

the officials who deal with these cases can be so naive - it would be so interesting to see the training manual that they use - every sentence rewritten by 15 committees trying to get it meaningful and politically correct

Message 6 of 63
latest reply

The owner of the gallery next door came in to see me about this. I told him that if he needs help with a petition to let me know.

Message 7 of 63
latest reply

hmmmm no comment on the part that the FACTS don't add up?

hmmm No comment on the FACT he moved and found his wife where he figured it was SAFE enough to have 2 children???

HMMMMMM no comment on the FACT there are LEGAL and ILLEGAL ways to come to this country???

AND i would like to know how they are "law abiding" citizens when they BROKE the law to get here and also how they are working and paying taxes?

S.I.N. #'s are not that easily obtained (well legal ones)

Message 8 of 63
latest reply

and I guess all those that took the time to apply properly can just wait their turn?

should have snuck in ILLEGALLY and then ask to stay!!

Message 9 of 63
latest reply

He just doesn't get it.........or probably doesn't want to. People who have never lived on the edge don't really understand that when you got to do what you got to do, you do it.

Every year the US celebrates, Independence Day. It's based on the fact that people did what they had to do to save themselves from injustices and to do that they did ILLEGAL things....lots of them. They were basically......in the eyes of the 'law' traitors and scoundrels. The 'law' is only followed 'by the book' by people who are entirely too comfortable in their lives and have an authoritative personality that probably permeates their whole being and that of those around them. When the 'law' sends innocent people back to a possible death, or puts them and their children in danger, it's the law of small minded people.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 63
latest reply

Sorry guess i'm smart enough to know that people who feel their life is REALLY in danger do not stay there, get married there and then have 2 children there. Some other people might believe it but we have a name for them it sort of like lollipop

Message 11 of 63
latest reply

I don't know this family, but they seem to be genuine refugees. If you guys running any petition, let me know where is it and I will support this family stay.

Perhaps immigration regulations are too harsh. In fact, they did not even break laws of CanadaDeportation of already established family, a family who - except the oldest two - does not suck into Canadian social net, but do everything in their power to earn their keep, should be subject to jury decision and not some government appointee. People of Canada have more to say about someone being welcome or not than public servants.

Btw. I found this information from Canadian Council for Refugees, which points out that "expert", whose opinion has been relied on in Immigration and Refugee Board decisions, does not have current knowledge of Columbia: http://ccrweb.ca/en/bulletin/11/03/16

Message 12 of 63
latest reply

Smart enough? Best laugh I've had today.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 63
latest reply

I sent one to him also puck. I tried his phone first but .........."he was unavailable to comment

I  very much doubt it as you would have to give a real name and address!!

Message 14 of 63
latest reply

Well there is one way to find out, rather than make imaginary accusations.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 63
latest reply

Might have something to do with ........."After he refused to join their cause, they threatened to KILL him

HMMM---i'm Canadian (I know i'm supposed to say NATIVE first but consider myself Canadian) and lets see she is 33 and came to Canada in 2009 making her 29 at the time. They spent 12 years in the US making her 17 when she left Columbia. She has 2 kids which takes at LEAST 18 months and closer to 2 years making her 15 when she got preganant the first time. NOW STAY WITH ME HERE. He is 48 right now making him 15 years older than her.

IF some 30 year old comes around trying to mess with MY 15 year old daughter I will not only "threaten" to kill him I WILL!!!! Columbia,Canada,United States, Japan, Russia I

don't care where

Message 16 of 63
latest reply

IF some 30 year old comes around trying to mess with MY 15 year old daughter I will not only "threaten" .....Columbia,Canada,United States, Japan, Russia

You have no concept of Colombia at all. As a matter of fact, you can't even spell it correctly.

Photobucket
Message 17 of 63
latest reply

Why did they not stay in Spain where he met his wife and they had their two children?

Message 18 of 63
latest reply

Why did they not stay in Spain

Not sure. However it may be a problem with racism and unreasonable fears about outsiders. 'Maybe' he felt why go from one country where people hate you to another country with the same mindset. So they chose Canada, where they hoped there would be freedom and justice and their children could live without fear. Of course those who hate outsiders, or are bigots are in just about every country.

I can't understand why we just can't welcome them. With the exception of trying to stay......they have proven themselves to be everything we want in an immigrant to Canada. 

Photobucket
Message 19 of 63
latest reply

Why did they not stay in Spain

Not sure. However it may be a problem with racism and unreasonable fears about outsiders. 'Maybe' he felt why go from one country where people hate you to another country with the same mindset. So they chose Canada, where they hoped there would be freedom and justice and their children could live without fear. Of course those who hate outsiders, or are bigots are in just about every country.

I can't understand why we just can't welcome them. With the exception of trying to stay......they have proven themselves to be everything we want in an immigrant to Canada. 

Perhaps because they are here illegally !

Message 20 of 63
latest reply