This is unacceptable. Does Ebay want to lose all these customers?

I usually do not get charged fees by the Post office/Customs, especially on E bay purchases of used/second hand goods. I have written them and stated this is **bleep**!  I now have been told to phone. we cannot take this scam, we all have to work together, it is wrong and they know it !

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

"I usually do not get charged fees by the Post office/Customs, especially on E bay purchases of used/second hand goods"

Did you buy from a seller using the Global Shipping Program (GSP)? If so, as soon as the item price hits $20 Cdn ($18+ US) then you will get dinged for "import fees". ALL listings with GSP will have this added cost.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I usually do not get charged fees by the Post office/Customs, especially on E bay purchases of used/second hand goods.

The important word here is 'usually'.

All imports valued over $20 Cdn (about $18 US) may be assessed for duty.

If the item is not manufactured in a NAFTA country (Canada, USA, Mexico, Chile) duty can be charged.

Many used items are not dutiable. Others are.

However.

All items are still taxable, including used goods.

Any private shipper MUST assess and charge the applicable duty and taxes. They will charge a fee for this. Pitney Bowes charges about $5 for this. UPS and other couriers charge $25 or more.

However,

Canada Post and CBSA have sensibly decided that it is dumb to assess applicable duty and tax when it would cost more to do so than would be collected.

The result is that if your eBay seller uses the postal system to ship, using the USPS First Class International service, which is Delivery Confirmed, it is very unlikely that you will be told to pay applicable duty and tax before the PO will hand over your parcel.

But if your seller chooses a courier like UPS or PB/ Global Shipping you will be charged.

The only bright spot is that with GSP, you know this before you bid. And you are told the amount before you pay.

Yeah, life is complicated.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Please explain how this is justification I am telling you I have not paid custom duties on used Ebay goods sorry to burst your bubble.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Your explanation is not complicated. I never paid import duties on top of a sale. If you think this robbery is justified, I must ask, how long have you worked either for E bay or Pitney Bownes ?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

"sorry to burst your bubble."

No bubble burst.

I have not been charged duty for any of my ebay purchases either. 

That's because 1) I always buy from those who use USPS, 2) my purchases on ebay have been under $100 Cdn. and 3) I have never purchased from seller using GSP.

If you buy from seller using UPS (or other private courier) and items price is >$20Cdn, you may get charged import fees.

If you buy from seller using GSP and items price is >$20Cdn, you will likely get charged import fees.

Back to original question - which you did not answer...

What method of shipping was used that caused this string to originate?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Never heard of it. I have never paid import duties.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

... That is THE good answer... ''Avoid sellers using GSP'' and try to use mostly USPS.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

"Never heard of it. I have never paid import duties."

Never heard of what?

With only 5 transactions on this ebay account, I'm not surprised you have never paid import fees on ebay.

I too have never paid import fees on ebay transactions. For the reasons I have already listed...

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

The reason why you were not charged before: 

- USPS is a mail service. Mail service has been the default way of transportation

for personal imports. Shipments are delivered to the P.O. or b y the mail carrier. 

Therefore only a very small fraction of the shipments will be checked and taxed. 

- GSP is a courier service. Courier services are normally used by businesses only. 

Thiese shipments are hand delivered to the destination.  Being B2B shipments, 

100% of them will be checked and taxed (if value exceeds free limit). 

(Thank you, eBay!) 

Mr.Monicker

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Please post all questions about the GSP here: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Please post all comments about the GSP here: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 11 of 11
latest reply