This just sucks

I will no longer purchased an item that uses international priority shipping just takes to long to receive my order. I purchased an item on July 30th and it is now August 15 and still nothing, when I purchased my item it was to arrive the week of August 9th. Tracking the item is useless.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

This just sucks

Tracking is only useful to the seller.

If a seller is faced with a false claim of non-delivery , she can proved that the item has been delivered.

That is the sole and only purpose of tracking.

If your item has taken more than 20 days (30 from Asia) and has not yet arrived, go to the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received dispute in the Resolution Centre.

The first step is to ask the seller for the date of shipping, the service used and the tracking number.

If you have already contacted the seller you can skip this step.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping) she will be required to refund* you promptly. IfIf she does not, Paypal will and go after her for their money.

*Do NOT accept an offer of a replacement. It will never arrive.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

This just sucks

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Tracking is only useful to the seller.

If a seller is faced with a false claim of non-delivery , she can proved that the item has been delivered.

That is the sole and only purpose of tracking.

If your item has taken more than 20 days (30 from Asia) and has not yet arrived, go to the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received dispute in the Resolution Centre.

The first step is to ask the seller for the date of shipping, the service used and the tracking number.

If you have already contacted the seller you can skip this step.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping) she will be required to refund* you promptly. IfIf she does not, Paypal will and go after her for their money.

*Do NOT accept an offer of a replacement. It will never arrive.

The mention of "International Priority Shipping" by the OP leads me to believe that this was a GSP item.

Buyers of GSP items expect tracking because GSP items 1) have an identifying blurb that reads "Customs services and international tracking provided" when searching for items, and 2) have another blurb which reads "This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking. Learn more" when looking at the listing.

Seeing as the PB/eBay folks couldn't come up with anything more enticing for buyers, is it so unreasonable for someone who purchases a GSP item to expect full tracking? I don't think so.

Labro.Danie, was your item first sent to Erlanger, Kentucky before being sent on to you? If so, you did indeed purchase from a seller using the Global Shipping Program (GSP), a program deeply hated by many Canadians. If your item doesn't arrive in a reasonable amount of time, open a claim with eBay or Paypal. Do not involve the seller, as they cannot help you. Opening a case will get you all of your money back, including the GSP charges which the seller never received and therefore cannot refund.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

This just sucks

Oh, yeah.

Nothing wrong with giving the customer the warm fuzzies, but this insistence on tracking, and the implication that it has some value to the buyer is the 'gluten- free watermelon' of Buyer Protection..

It's useless to the buyer. It doesn't help the item move faster. It doesn't provide any insurance against loss or damage. And it is not user-friendly.

So basically it drives up expectations and doesn't deliver.

At least watermelon really is gluten-free.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

This just sucks

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Oh, yeah.

Nothing wrong with giving the customer the warm fuzzies, but this insistence on tracking, and the implication that it has some value to the buyer is the 'gluten- free watermelon' of Buyer Protection..

It's useless to the buyer. It doesn't help the item move faster. It doesn't provide any insurance against loss or damage. And it is not user-friendly.

So basically it drives up expectations and doesn't deliver.

At least watermelon really is gluten-free.

Sometimes it's about more than just warm fuzzies. And it's not always "useless".

Some people can't drive, don't have cars, can't move around easily, etc. They like to know when their packages will arrive so that they can be home. Especially if they're expecting something large and/or heavy.

I know this because I am one of those people. Last year I bought a TV off a non-eBay site and I checked the tracking regularly to make sure I'd be home on the day it was delevered. I'm sure other people must do this too.

But all this is moot because as long as the PB folks keep promising tracking without making good on their promise, we'll keep seeing these complaints. Which are legitimate IMO because regardless of what you think of tracking, something is being promised that is not delivered. Maybe someone can think of another "selling point" for buyers (ha!) to suggest to eBay/PB so that they can get rid of that false door-to-door tracking promise.

Funny we're still talking about the GSP. Earlier today I passed on an item that I would have bought in a heartbeat had it been shipping through the post office. Ephemera collectible, weighed a couple of grams at most, smaller than a postcard. I'm really starting to hate eBay!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

This just sucks

OTOH, most 'tracking' is actually Delivery Confirmation, which means that the seller gets confirmation that the item has been delivered, which stops the phoney non-delivery claims, but does nothing for the buyer since with DC only acceptance and delivery are recorded although a few other stops may be--if only because it is easier to record everything on an assembly line, than to bypass.

And I do think it is touching that someone believe that a delivery will actually happen when promised.

You should add your telephone number to your PP address if you have to be home for the delivery. Then the courier can call ahead and arrange a suitable time.

Which he will miss... but.....

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

This just sucks

OTOH, most 'tracking' is actually Delivery Confirmation

I think that it is extremely rare for an item to be scanned only on acceptance on delivery. Perhaps your statement was true at one time but I don't think that it is true now.

Regardless, for the gsp to promise that they will provide international tracking and then not provide it is poor customer service and reflects upon the site in general.  The point is not whether it is a necessary service...the point is that it is a promised service.  Perception is reality...if the buyer perceives it as being important...then it is important.

You should add your telephone number to your PP address if you have to be home for the delivery. Then the courier can call ahead and arrange a suitable time.

I wasn't aware that Canada Post or any couriers would phone ahead.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

This just sucks

@reallynicestamps wrote:

And I do think it is touching that someone believe that a delivery will actually happen when promised.

I am touched that you are touched... You'll be really, really touched when I tell you that my TV was delivered exactly on the day it was supposed to be according to the tracking.

Warm fuzzies all around. Group hug!

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Regardless, for the gsp to promise that they will provide international tracking and then not provide it is poor customer service and reflects upon the site in general.  The point is not whether it is a necessary service...the point is that it is a promised service.  Perception is reality...if the buyer perceives it as being important...then it is important.

YES EXACTLY! That's what I've been trying to say.  PJ said it much better.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply