Times are getting tough for Canada Post?

kashka
Community Member

Times must be getting tough for them as I went to the PO this morn to pick up my mail and as usual went to throw away the usual flyers,inserts etc into the containers they have just for that reason...But it was gone!. Another lady and I concluded because it was so early they must have not brought them out.So..I went to the counter and inquired....Clerk just kinda rolled her eyes and said "new policy"...I guess CP wants you to take home the flyers and **bleep** they stuff into your mailbox and dispose of them yourself.

You would think with all the bonuses they throw out to the execs and fee increases they could afford to keep those containers..The lady and I had a good laugh and promptly left the flyers on the counter..Knowing how corporations operate they will probably pay to have a corporate study done as to investigate why there are more flyers than usual on the counter and  will hire someone to dispose of them at the end of the day.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lisa, mailbox is a paid service and should not serve for CanadaPost additional profit from ad distribution, so they need to provide opt-out option and so they do. I asked them to mark "no junkmail" and now I only receive it very sporadically, little still gets through but not as much as before.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

that is pretty silly of them that's for sure but on one hand it's not that bad of an idea..

if the company is cutting cost and trying to save money that is one thing that would be fairly  costly for the company that they can easily get rid of with very minimal change to customers or customer service which in my opinion is about the only cost cutting measure i have seen them make with such little affect on the customer now if they would only cut the ceo's salary 😉  ...

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

My understanding, although it might be wrong is that it was the advertisers that pressured CP to get rid of the garbage can so us consumers have to handle the advertising longer.....perhaps if we have to take it home we might look at it more..... if that is true then our frustrations are with the wrong folks... its the folks paying for the advertising that are the cause! However we really don't want to be without them or our postage prices would go up 535% instead of 35%

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

if you dont want flyers ,you can tell your postal person to not put them in your box,i dont get flyers.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

No garbage can...no problem...just drop them into the mail box.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Why not just take the flyers home and drop them into your own blue box for recycling?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Post Office or Postal Outlet?

A Postal Outlet , say in a Shopper's Drug Mart, would be getting orders from Head Office, not necessarily Canada Post.

I keep my blue box (paper recycling) right under my mailbox. Convenient.

Remember that the money those advertisers pay theoretically keeps ourpostage  costs under control.

Jayne, your mouth is talkin'. You might want to look into that.- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

we here in the north east of sask have been with out a garbage can in the post office lobby for well over a year now ,  a few years ago in the next town someone lit a fire in the lobby garbage can ,  this caused quit a mess  with the fire it self and then the smoke damage to the rest of the building,  the post office had to be relocated for many months (in the local civic center i believe )  so  the garbage can is gone due to changes in the insurance policy in a public place ,,,  and a far as leaving the unwanted mail on the counter , all that is doing is giving the night janitor more stuff to pick up, u can ask to not get the flyers,,, but u will get none , u cant get this certian one and not that one ,, all or none,,  i do not work for canada post  , i just asked questions when things changed

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Lisa, mailbox is a paid service and should not serve for CanadaPost additional profit from ad distribution, so they need to provide opt-out option and so they do. I asked them to mark "no junkmail" and now I only receive it very sporadically, little still gets through but not as much as before.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

It is a post office..small town about 1500...postal boxes and two or three clerks.I really liked the idea of dropping it back in the postal slot..lol..Everybody has just been leaving the extras on the counters..I will just ask not to receive any in my postal box as I know the ladies very well and they have been very good to me. I actually felt bad when I went to online shipping as I know it takes work away for them and they think if more people do that it will be another reason to downsize their staff some more.What burns me is how corporations introduce these silly policies thinking they are cost cutting meanwhile spending more money paying execs and their bonuses.

And I just found out also my post office is cutting their operating hours so now its basically impossible for me to pick up incoming parcels until Saturday morning and if I happen to be gone for the weekend I have to wait for the following Saturday.Plus I cannot personally drop my packages anymore because they open later in the morning so now I have to ask my neighbour to do it for me.This does not make me happy.

And if Canada Post can't recycle,I sure as heck ain't gonna recycle for them.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

It must be really bad because a week doesn't go by when I get the wrong mail.

The volume is much lower but the mistakes are higher.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

They might be even more worried about the optics of the overflowing garbage cans now with phasing out more home delivery.

At the best of times it would be hard to take paying to have flyers distributed through the PO and seeing them in the garbage cans - but with all the publicity about phasing out home delivery (even if it's not happening in a given area) a lot of people might start putting two and two together. At least with no garbage cans it isn't in the advertisers' faces all the time.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Even if the boxholder does drop the flyers into the bluebox, she has to look at them to sort what is actual mail, what is of interest, and what is junk.

You may be interested in pizza delivery offers, I might keep winemaking shops, and Nancy might want sales catalogues from shoe stores.

The advertiser should know that he will hit the mark more often than miss in a given neighbourhood. I get a lot of flyers for realtors, funeral services, and retirement communities. My girlfriend at work was musing that her neighbourhood must have more pizza stores that anywhere else in the world based on the contents of her mailbox.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply