To Deliver or Not That Is the Question - Snow Storm

Hello

I have about 15 items to mail out today and I wake up to a snow storm (I'm in Toronto). We're looking at 15cm of snow today and I'm right now wondering on whether or not I should head out. The post office is about 8 minutes away on a normal day however today it could be 8 hours.
We are supposed to get another 10cm tomorrow as well.

So, my question is should I take the risk to get out today or should I wait until weather permits a, relatively, safe drive (that could be Wednesday)? What do you other sellers do in cases of extreme weather?

Thanks
truecrimeink
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
It depends on how you are sending out your items. If you have promissed next day or 2-day delivery and the people are paying for that service (such as Express Post) then you should make the effort to go to the post office or be prepared to give a refund for the extra you charged the customer thinking he would receive his item within a predescribed period.

If thera er to be sent via regular mail with an open-ended arrival date, wait until the weather clears a bit.

Malcolm

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Ultimately I'd just send out 15 emails to explain your predicament. Refund Express Post fees if you must. Most buyers, I believe, will understand.

I recall driving my mother to church during a heavy new snowfall several years ago. The car slid into a concrete abutment on a downhill right turn (with cars whizzing past on my left side). Lost the car and could have injured my mother.

There's a Risk/Return ratio that can be considered in investment and many other areas of life. In my opinion the risk of personal injury and significant property damage far outweighs the benefits of your buyers getting their packages a few days sooner. Take good care of yourself so that you're able to deliver many many more timely packages in the future.

Marty
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
You know the saying "Through snow, through sleet, through rain the mail must go through!"...

Well that slogan was written by someone in California....

Don't risk life or limb for the sake of a few dollars....

Jeff
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

itrecovery
Community Member
Oh, snow in Toronto...C'm! We are in Canada for God's sake.

Send them, not big deal. Just mailed my stuff, it nasty but not the end of the world.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Too Bad Mel wasnt still there. He would call in the troops to shovel it before it all turns to slush and melts within 12 hours.

Of course I am not certain if Paul Martin would approve of the troops being sent into Toronto as they arent equipped well enough, you know with all the drive by shootings and all.

Malcolm

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I ended up heading out Monday after all. There was somewhat of a break in the afternoon. Took a little longer but I figured that I better get them out of here while I have a chance. We're getting more snow tonight and tomorrow. If it snows or rains this city shuts down...

truecrimeink
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
I drive my Purolator truck Through snow, through sleet and through rain 😉
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
... nothing shall stop those couriers from the swift completion .... etc., etc., etc. How 'bout the black of night?

I give thanks every day that I live on the west coast and don't have to cope with anything worse than rain and wind most of the time! I really feel for all you Easterners (and that includes everyone east or north of central BC).

Glenda

Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 9 of 9
latest reply