To guarantee or not to guarantee

For the past couple of years I have had this guarantee in my vintage radio descriptions.

"I stand by my work – if you purchase a radio from me and it stops working, send it back to me within one year of purchase and I will repair it at no charge and send it back to you at my expense."

I think it has got me a lot of sales and I have never had a return re. a radio that does not play. Lately I have had a rash of returns. Most with nothing the matter and a couple with legitimate problems. I don't mind fixing the legitimate ones the others irritate me and give me undeserved defects.

My reasoning is that guarantee or not, people will send then back as Item "Not As Described" whether I have the guarantee or not.

I have been thinking about discontinuing the guarantee and putting this statement in it's place.

"I guarantee that all the radios I sell are in good working order when they are shipped; none of this "sold as is" stuff; however, please keep in mind that old electronics are sometimes sensitive to the rigors of transport, thus there is a possibility that they may not be working upon arrival."

Is this enough to stop a "Not as Described" for a radio that is not working?

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Of your current rash of returns how many of them waited 12 months (or 10 or 8 or even 2) to try to do the return?

I looked at your listings a few months ago, was thinking about the old Zenith mantle radio that my father listened to. You didn't have it but you had some really nice looking radios. Reading the description made me feel like I could buy with confidence that I would get something that was nicely restored and likely to function for a long time to come. I remember the guarantee part!

I then went off to find the particular model I remembered, didn't find one on eBay but I did track it down via a Google image search. Not sure I would buy one for nostalgia sake mostly because I saw so many other better looking models I'd rather have.

----------------------------

Is this enough to stop a "Not as Described" for a radio that is not working?

I doubt it very much.

I wouldn't change what has been working for you for a long time. I think "not as described" is the first choice on the list of reason for requesting a return. A certain portion of people will just tick the first option especially since "not as described" can equate to "not as perceived".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Most return requests came in only a few days after receipt.

Thanks for the observations - I was leaning that was after considering taking the guarantee off. I think I will leave it on. It has it been hard on my defect rate though. I can now see why some sellers do not go after their fees back. I have learned that if you don't want/or get the fees back - you don't get the defect.

I think you are likely right nothing is really going to stop an individual who wants a return, no matter what the reason or excuse - eBay is going to back the buyer and not the seller.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I have learned that if you don't want/or get the fees back - you don't get the defect.

This is not correct. If you give a buyer a full refund it's automatically a defect unless you file for a cancellation and choose the correct reason. If the transaction qualifies you get your fees back and no defect is registered.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hi Ross! My suggestion is keep the original (which I personally like) or delete it and don't say anything.

I don't suggest using the 2nd one,IMO it is in a roundabout way complaining about postal problems which insinuates to the buyer that they will have problems with you fixing the issues if there are problems in transit (which I as a buyer wouldn't want to hear). This only affects "honest" buyers, the "dishonest" buyers already know how to work the system and know that despite whatever you say they can use the INAD/return process anyway....
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I wouldn't change anything,it helps buyers to buy with confidence and rationalize the price.
You will always get those buyers who regret spending money after they have spent it .
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@recped wrote:

I have learned that if you don't want/or get the fees back - you don't get the defect.

This is not correct. If you give a buyer a full refund it's automatically a defect unless you file for a cancellation and choose the correct reason. If the transaction qualifies you get your fees back and no defect is registered.

That is not correct at all.

Resolution Center ---> I sold an item ---> I need to cancel a transaction ---> Select item ---> The buyer asked to cancel the order... ---> instant refund and NO defect.

No cancellation needs to be files. It is all instant. It has been this way for quite a while.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Resolution Center ---> I sold an item ---> I need to cancel a transaction ---> Select item ---> The buyer asked to cancel the order... ---> instant refund and NO defect.

No cancellation needs to be files. It is all instant. It has been this way for quite a while.

That can be done after the item is in the hands of the buyer? I always thought that it had to be done before the item was shipped.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@recped wrote:

That is not correct at all.

No cancellation needed? What you just described is a cancellation and yes, there is no defect because of the reason chosen.   If that step was missed and the buyer was refunded directly through paypal, then there would be a defect as recped said.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

When I bring up the resolution center all I get are two choices

1 - I have not recieved payment yet

2.- The  buyer and I have agreed to a mutual cancellation.

When I click on 2 it kicks me out and back to Help & Contact

Where and how are you getting this to appear: Resolution Center ---> I sold an item ---> I need to cancel a transaction ---> Select item ---> The buyer asked to cancel the order.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

What is the situation in this case? Was there a refund done through paypal, was a return case opened...or? I think that the way you cancel a sale depends on what has happened so far on or off of ebay.

You can try this in my ebay...I couldn't find the same option in sales manager.

Click on sold items - on the right side under more actions there should be a cancel order.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

You can also try by going to the following link and entering the item number.

http://ocsnext.ebay.ca/ocs/ip?segmentId=19999&query=I%27m+a+seller+and+I+want+to+cancel+a+transactio...

Message 12 of 12
latest reply