Tracking Number is invalid but ebay somehow gets updates to an order never delivered

I ordered an item on April 5th with International Priority Shipping. Afterwards, I began to get tracking info from ebay itself. When I checked the tracking number provided, it was invalid on ANY tracking sites that I can possibly find. Days had passed, and I still kept getting updates on the order when CLEARLY something wasn't right with the tracking number. Until today, I looked at the tracking updates and it had stated that the order had already been delivered. I did contact the seller, but they can only contact the carriers and wait. What can I still attempt to do?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Tracking Number is invalid but ebay somehow gets updates to an order never delivered

Today is April 16-- only 11 days have passed since your order and that includes the half the four-day Easter long weekend and an ordinary weekend.

In my experience it takes about 20 calendar days for arrival from North America.

Did you order through the Global Shipping Program?

The tracking number you see may be the seller's USPS number for shipping to the GSP plant in Kentucky. And would show 'delivered' to the plant. But that is not the end of it.

From there, your parcel would be put on a truck to Canada. Then it would be sorted with other items headed your way, and transferred to a new shipper ,probably Canada Post.

The GSP would have a tracking number on it, but this is not really public.

In any case, there is no problem for a buyer.

If the item hasn't arrived by April 25, go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received Dispute. If GSP cannot prove delivery TO YOUR ADDRESS, you will be refunded in full.

If the item turns up after that, which is likely since very little actually is lost in the mail, although delays do happen, then you have a dilemma.

The seller has been paid. GSP does not want the item back. And you cannot ethically have both the item and the money. Perhaps you could donate one or the other to a charity?

We're not thieves — well, we are thieves. Point is we're not takin' what's his.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

And you cannot ethically have both the item and the money.

I don't see why not since there is no way to pay for it again. The system is designed in such a way as to ensure the occasional free item.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Afaniques--- Shhhh!

Smiley Happy

You are right of course. It makes me very uncomfortable to know that the GSP has been set up in such a way that an unscrupulous buyer could, by claiming damage, get free items that had been shipped under the program.

Ethically, the unhappy buyer should be either donating the unwanted item or the equivalent in money to some charity.  Like that's gonna happen.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:
It makes me very uncomfortable to know that the GSP has been set up in such a way that an unscrupulous buyer could, by claiming damage, get free items that had been shipped under the program.

Unscrupulous buyers and sellers can get away with lots of things on eBay. Fortunately, most people are honest.

In this case, I think it's only fair that such a buyer-unfriendly program should occasionally take a hit which results in the buyer getting a free item. This is why it is so important for buyers to file a complaint in the Resolution Center every time something goes wrong (item not received or damaged in transit, or wrong item received.) Hit PB where it counts. Taken individually, each claim is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but add them all up and they could (theoretically) end up having some weight.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Amen to that!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I did contact the resolution centre and they issued me a refund. I found out later that GSP shipped my order and delivered it to a neighbourhood on the otherside of town. I really cant track it down since GSP uses various carriers, and its probably too late for me to go check that neighbourhood.Well I hope someone enjoys my package, but I really waited for my order to come through.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply