Tracking says Delivered-- Buyer says did not receive item.

dycon58
Community Member

I sold an item Nov. 18. Shipped as a Tracked Packet. Both USPS & Canada Post tracking say "Delivered" on Dec. 26. Today, 6 weeks later, the buyer leaves very negative feedback. Customer did not contact me to let me know item did not arrive, nor has he started any action. I've contacted the buyer and provided shipping details and also submitted an Inquiry with Canada Post. If the buyer didn't get the item, he is entitled to a full refund, but I'm not sure what the procedure is because I, also deserved to be reimbursed. Any advice on procedure to follow? Thanks

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If the buyer didn't get the item, he is entitled to a full refund,

In spite of his bad manners in notifying you of the problem through negative feedback, he is entitled to a refund.

but I'm not sure what the procedure

Go to the Paypal transaction.

Refund.

is because I, also deserved to be reimbursed.

Eventually you will get your item back.

Not every transaction will go smoothly. Add the cranky buyer to your Blocked Bidders List and your postage and fees to your business losses account.

Never goes smooth. How come it never goes smooth?-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Don't get into it with the buyer, who is either confused or trying it on.

Add a Response to the neg " Tracking XXXXXXXXXCA shows delivery 26/12/14".

Then contact eBay and ask that the feedback be removed since it is demonstrably false.

It's hard to imagine someone would forget an unusual event like a Boxing Day delivery. But...

The Response will help future buyer understand that you do in fact ship (and can prove it, if necessary). The contact may remove the unwarranted neg.

And the more important Detailed Seller Ratings.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I am confused.

This is a book sold for $10.99 on December 18th shipped from BC to the USA and is shown by USPS as "delivered" in the USA on December 26th.

What specific postal service did you use to ship this book?  Why pay for tracking on a $10.99 transaction?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

The OP says the item sold on Nov. 18. After looking at the feedback, it was a typo. Had me confused at first. That would have ment 6 weeks to ship to the U.S.!
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

73rhc
Community Member
Dec. 26 is strange. But what's more strange is that the buyer didn't open a dispute. He/she had plenty of time to do so. Might be trying to get a quick refund? But why not communicate first? Was the buyer's address confirmed by PayPal?
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

"Dec. 26 is strange."

Not really.  USPS does deliver on Boxing Day.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I don't think there is a "Boxing Day" in the U.S.so as you say, delivery on the 26th isn't unusual.
But it does seem unusual that an item sold dec 18 would be delivered that quickly as the mail was slow around then. If the OP doesn't hear back from the buyer I would contact eBay with the delivery confirmation number and ask to have the negative/defect removed.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

It's strange. But I should have worded it differently. Because of the holiday season! Also that USPS is closed on the 25th. So that's 7 days including a weekend. Extremely fast for that time of year.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can call eBay and have the negative feedback removed and show eBay the tracking information. eBay will be in your favor especially when you have 100% proof of its being delivered with the tracking number.  It is a good thing that you used a mail service with tracking number to protect yourself!

As for Pierre, it is a good thing that he used Tracked Packet, otherwise he would be in trouble.

Another thing it shows that we as sellers are at risk if we don't use mail services with tracking numbers.  I have seen more and more buyers claiming they never received their items.  It is one of many reasons why I started to use mail services with tracking numbers almost 2 years now, believe me it save me lots of headache of having potential scammers and lots of disputes as "item never received" and now with eBay's insane defect policy!!

As for Pierre, you are lucky that you haven't got into that situations like we have.  Knock on wood three time for you!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

More than 50% of what I ship goes without tracking of any sort.

Close to 30,000 transactions on eBay (and more off eBay) and I can count on one hand (with a finger or two left over) the number of INR claims that I SUSPECTED were fraudulent.

Instead of wasting money on tracking (which I only use when it's included with the shipping service) I prefer to put that money in my pocket.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Buyers address was confirmed by PayPal. Phoned USPS today, as the tracking message has changed and it seems the item made it to the destination post office, but was undeliverable? They suspect it is being returned to me as it passed through San Francisco Jan. 29.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I used, 'Tracked Packet". Why add tracking? I guess for this reason--I was able to contact USPS and find out what happened to the parcel. Turns out, it was undeliverable and is being returned to me. I sell on another site and very rarely use tracking. None of the parcels I sent out close to Christmas were late, in fact, many arrived within 6-8 days.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

If the buyer didn't get the item, he is entitled to a full refund,

In spite of his bad manners in notifying you of the problem through negative feedback, he is entitled to a refund.

but I'm not sure what the procedure

Go to the Paypal transaction.

Refund.

is because I, also deserved to be reimbursed.

Eventually you will get your item back.

Not every transaction will go smoothly. Add the cranky buyer to your Blocked Bidders List and your postage and fees to your business losses account.

Never goes smooth. How come it never goes smooth?-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I agree....thanks.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply