US Banks Accepting Canadian Clients Across Canada

fitzheueninternational
Community Member
Hi

I am presently compiling a list of US Banks that are accepting Canadian clients.

I am looking for the Bank Name, Address and Key Contacts with a Phone Numbers to help other Power Sellers and ebay members in Canada.

If anyone can also provide a list of requirements they had to follow when opening an account that would be very helpful.

Email me directly and send a phone number for contact if interested to:

fitzheueninternational@yahoo.ca
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Pretty much ANY US Bank will open accounts for Canadians IF you show up in person.

The list of banks that will open accounts by telephone or mail is getting very very small.

M+T Bank did at one time but I don't know if they still do. Requirements were pretty basic (what is your mailing address?, we will send you an application).

Other than the standard application that would apply to anyone the IRS form W-8BEN must be filed with the bank. CSR's rarely know about this form, if you don't ask or provide one yourself the entire process will be delayed.
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

fitzheueninternational
Community Member
Hi

Can you send me an email.

I am not comfortable putting my address in this message forum.

Al

fitzheueninternational@yahoo.ca
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Huh?

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Al, you misunderstood.

"M+T Bank did at one time but I don't know if they still do. Requirements were pretty basic (what is your mailing address?, we will send you an application)."

Recped was quoting what the banks would say to you. He was not asking for your mailing address.

To open an account at a US bank you have to walk into the bank with appropriate ID and ask to open one. For particulars it would be best for those interested to call the bank themself and ask the requirements. For some you need a US mailing address and some you don't. Some will open an account for you easy enough and some will not without references from your own Canadian bank.

People should make the call directly themself and not get that info secondhand. And the way things are nowadays, the rules & regs may change. It's best to call the bank directly before going down there.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

fitzheueninternational
Community Member
Thanks Jake

I am spending too much time in here lately reading and too many late nights on ebay listing.

Made note of the infomation and will be adding it to my list.

Thanks both for your help.

Al
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

3jcc14
Community Member
Hi,
Bremer Bank (www.bremer.com) in International Falls Minnesota (opposite Fort Frances, Ontario). Free checking account (with a minimum $100USD balance), 100 free checks and VISA debit card. US Mailing address preferred so they can send you the VISA debit card and checks (otherwise they hold them for you at the branch for you to pick up). The US Post Office is right across the street if you need to get a US mailing address (you need to show ID to get a PO Box). As for a contact: Lori Foss (Personal Banker) (218)283-9411 ext 222 or toll free 1-800-776-7373. I presented myself at the branch with my Ontario Drivers License and SIN Card. That was good enough. Not sure if they will take applications over the phone but you can always call to find out.
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

fitzheueninternational
Community Member
Hi 3jcc14

Thanks for the infomation.

I will be adding it to my list.

Al
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

fitzheueninternational
Community Member
First Niagara Bank

7350 Niagara Falls Bulevard

Niagara Falls, New York

Contact James Utterback

716 625 7700
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

3jcc14
Community Member
Hi,

Wells Fargo Back
MAC N9525-011
419-3rd Street
International Falls MN 56649

Contact Cheryl Hansen
Tel: 218-283-1023
Fax: 218-283-9075
Toll Free: 1-800-470-8699

Will accept Canadians - just bring valid ID (Ontario Drivers License is good)
Free checking account ($100 USD) initial deposit and it comes with a free box of checks and debit card. They prefer a US mailing address and will accept a PO Box.

International Falls is opposite Fort Frances Ontario.
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

fitzheueninternational
Community Member
Hi

Thanks I will be adding this to my compiled infomation.

Al
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

palms_and_pdas
Community Member
Just bumping this message up in the board so others see this message.

Al
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I'm glad I found this posting and that others are having the same problem. I've been using an RBC Centura account since last August. It's a US-based personal account designed by Royal Bank for snowbirds or people that spend a good portion of the year in the US. Its worked great, but unfortunately they must monitor the activity and called me yesterday asking if I was using the account for business or personal use. It was impossible to deny that I was using it for business purposes.
Are the banks mentioned in these messages fine with Canadians opening business accounts? or using a personal account for business purposes?
I suppose another question is why the heck does Paypal not let us withdraw US dollars??
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
I don't believe any of them are ok with using them for business purposes unless you open a business account. I don't know what kind of documentation you need to open a business account with them though. You'd have to call and ask. I use M & T but put through only small amounts. If you're putting through any kind of large volume or high numbers it'll attract their attention and you're going to get flagged as you did by RBC.

I know for a fact that M & T asked us if we'll be using the personal account for selling and she told me that's a no no. I use it for my US purchases when buying from sellers who only ship to the US.

You're running a business and unfortunately those are part of the costs of doing so. Sorry. 😞 No bank really lets you use personal accounts for business reasons especially if you're putting through large amounts that are clearly not personal.

Many reasons and guesses as to why PayPal won't let us withdraw in US funds but in my opinion it is largely due to securities and watches on funds for terrorism, drugs, money laundering etc by the US Homeland Security. To the best of my knowledge PayPal has never come out and officially said why they don't. I do recall something about blaming the Canadian banking system but don't remember where it came from. As in who said it, a user or a PayPal official.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Canadian banks don't allow you to use personal accounts for business either. It's all about the money. They charge a LOT more for business accounts.

Might as well go for the personal account in the U.S. and get away with it for as long as you can. Eventually, the might call you on the PayPal deposits and you may have to convert to a business account.
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

palms_and_pdas
Community Member
Checked out also the Canadian Banking system and their are very heafty fees for a business accounts. The Centura account I tryed to setup through RBC is still not finallized 5 months later. The advantages to setting up a US account is that you can tranfer money from paypal into the account and not suffer the money gouge by paypal when transferring. You end up losing around 4 percent when using paypal to transfer to a Canadian bank account. The second advantage is that you an setup a bidpay account if you are willing to take payment through that system. I figure that paypal gets enough money for fees so why give them an additional hit on my money when withdrawing if I do not have to give them the opportunity.
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Fitz, that has no bearing on anything. If the bank calls you on operating a business they can shut you down. The RBC Centura account is supposed to be for personal use not business unless you register it as a business but can you even do that? I don't know. Is that an option? I've never looked into it so don't know.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

3jcc14
Community Member
When I opened a USD account in the USA I told them point blank that it was for Ebay and Paypal transactions. The bank lady just nodded along and said that alot of Canadians open accounts just for that purpose.
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

oldbaglady
Community Member
We have a US account with Wells Fargo. We had to physically go down there to open it, but I told her exactly what it was for, and she had no problems with it. I also have an RBC Centura account. When I opened it, I was asked the purpose and said that we were hoping to buy a place in Texas to start spending our winters in. This is true, and we have now bought it, but have not yet started staying down there. I hope nobody looks at the account before next winter and notices that all the transactions so far are going from Paypal to my Canadian account. If they do, I still have my Wells Fargo account, but transferring funds is much slower and more awkward this way.
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

3jcc14, Which bank did you open with and what are the fees?

oldbaglady, RBC Centura did call me because they noticed large amounts ($10-100K) being transferred to and from the account. I'm currently talking with RBC to see if we can work something out. Where in the US did you go to set up the account, or did you do it from Canada?

Thanks,
Troy
Message 20 of 22
latest reply