US shipping not being calculated on .ca listing HELP

zaxi7
Community Member

I have a listing on ebay.ca that someone bid on. A short time later another interested buyer said they want to know shipping amount since it was not showing up.

I tried to enter their zip code on my listing and it said invalid code. I then went on Canada post site and entered my listing with exact measurements I had on my listing and it showed several options with prices.

I figured there is a problem with the ebay shipping calculator or my listing measurements and I called ebay. They were NO HELP and basically said my listing is fine and it must be the buyers browser and  they need to call ebay to get a shipping quote or help?!?!?

I knew the person had no clue what they were dealing with and I am now asking help from the boards:  I use canada post to get my shipping options since the ebay.ca listing shipping calculator has not worked for several months.   

Listing measurements: 11x10x1 cm @ .4g  and canada post website has options for small packet air USA, expedited parcel USA and a couple more but I listed only these options.

My questions are 1. are my measurements incorrect if so, why do they show up on canada post website with valid shipping options.

2. the bidder who wins will not have a shipping cost calculated for them so, can they pay and basically get free shipping? or will they need to contact me for shipping amount (request total)?

Message 3 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: US shipping not being calculated on .ca listing HELP

As far as I know, that calculator works fine except when it comes to minimum dimensions so it is important for a seller to know what the minimum dimensions are and to take that into account when they use the calculator. I

It really is important that a seller know the min/max dimensions of the different services anyway. For example, lettermail is not on that caculator but if you were to ship those tights to Toronto via lettermail, the cost would be $4-$5 versus $11+ that is showing now.

(I've never shipped tights but 400 grams seems heavy...is that correct?)

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

OK my mistake>>>>> the shipping measurements in my ebay listing is in CM when it really was supposed to be in INCHES! Opps!

Either way it brought to light (for me) that 1. do not trust the canada post shipping calculator (see my pics) and 2. to not use the calculated shipping by location. too many things can go wrong. Instead I'm going to take your suggestion to use a fixed rate.

Thanks everyone for your help.

PS I'm still annoyed the Canada post calculator is wrong Woman Sad

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

No your right 400g is heavy. I re-weighed them and a completely different number came up 98g   I'm not sure what is going on with my listing??? Ah fun fun fun. I had asked the ebay person to check over this listing to see if anything was wrong and specifically my measurement to post service options.

I'm glad to have you guys to look over this and point out things that seem wrong!

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Unfortunately the customer phone service reps are more familiar with the U.S. side of things so it really is not useful to ask them anything about shipping in Canada. Actually, they probably are not that familiar with the U.S. shipping calculator either. For the most part, the people that actually use ebay daily or more knowledgeable about the site than someone who has never bought or sold here.

For items that are not being shipped lettermail within Canada, I think that calculated shipping can work well....as long as the correct numbers are entered. Some of the sellers here well tell you it is better to use metric as well. I have never tried to see if it makes a difference but some say that it can.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

I had a look at my other listings to see what was going on with them and some are listed in cm and some are in inches which is odd since I thought ebay only used inches and canada post CM. The ones that won't calculate US shipping have the measurements stated in CM and were intended to be in INCHES? 

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Are you listing on com with some listings and ca with others?
Photobucket
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

I always try to go through .ca but, there is always the possibility I could have started a listing in com then finished it in .ca when I realized  my mistake?? I have saved and used templates quite often and maybe this is why several are in cm and some in inches?

Message 27 of 27
latest reply