USD to CAD listing change has cost me 50% sales drop. Can't hold on much longer.

Wondering if others are suffering colossal loss of sales since eBay forced the switch to CAD only listings on eBay Canada.

My sales were approx $1500-$2000 per week before the switch.  Sales plummeted immediately upon changing all my ads to CAD from USD.  Sales over the past 7 days have been just $726.

I have the same inventory, same number of ads, am a top rated seller with 99.9% positive feedback.  Nothing else has changed.

How many others are experiencing this?

I have started using Amazon in a drastic effort to increase my sales volume as I cannot continue to keep my business going much longer if eBay doesn't offer some sort of solution to this fiasco they created.  Like it or not, a great portion of the world runs on the American dollar.  I import my items from overseas, and from USA and am forced to pay in USD, therefore I feel I should also be able to list and sell in USD.

I tried it eBay! It didn't work!  Please rethink this and get back to your Canadian sellers!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: USD to CAD listing change has cost me 50% sales drop. Can't hold on much longer.

I looked at your listings and most of what I saw were small parts the ship lettermail and light packet. Theses small items are easily listed on eBay.com in USD with flat rate shipping generic options with no need for Canada Post shipping option that are not available on eBay.com.

For items that are under 1 kg and thicker than 2 cm and can go Small Packet USA, I would suggest using eBay.com flat rate shipping with generic shipping options again. Canada is a problem because you need calculated shipping for the parcel rate because it varies so either put in a high average rate for Canada or just do not ship to Canada.

How to use eBay.com with USD has been discussed a few times here. This may be your solution to getting back the sales but it may not. Some sellers are hit hard by the CAD change.

If you want more information on selling on eBay.com, ask here. There are more details to what I posted here so ask if interested.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: USD to CAD listing change has cost me 50% sales drop. Can't hold on much longer.

@toolsnparts wrote:

Wondering if others are suffering colossal loss of sales since eBay forced the switch to CAD only listings on eBay Canada.

I have started using Amazon in a drastic effort to increase my sales volume as I cannot continue to keep my business going much longer if eBay doesn't offer some sort of solution to this fiasco they created.  Like it or not, a great portion of the world runs on the American dollar.  I import my items from overseas, and from USA and am forced to pay in USD, therefore I feel I should also be able to list and sell in USD. 

I've had no impact from the ebay.ca change, but I sell different stuff. For me the ongoing Canada Post dispute has been the big issue.

But if US$ is important to you, then list some stuff on eBay.com -- you have the free monthly limits available for BOTH eBay.CA and eBay.COM -- double the bang.

Especially list anything that is lightweight (under 500g, less than 2cm thick) on eBay.COM. That can all be sent flat rate to both USA and Canada. Via Lettermail in Canada or Lettermail/Light Packet/Small Packet to USA.

Stuff under 1kg, regardless of thickness can be sent flat rate to the USA (but not to Canada). Those you can list on eBay.Com and only sell to the USA and use Small Packet USA or Tracked Packet USA.

If you have multiples and wanted to also sell to Canada you could have a second listing on eBay.CA shipping only to Canada using calculated shipping or local pickup. Disadvantage: extra work tracking inventory. Advantage: It's not a duplicate listing if one listing is for USA (excluding Canada) and the other listing is for Canada (excluding USA).

-..-

Here's a list of current flat rate shipping choices when listing on eBay.com for the Canadian seller (who ships from Canada)

-.-

To the USA
All flat rate, no calculated, with expected delivery time.

Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)
Flat rate Freight

-.-

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

You can have up to 5 separate International rates for countries you
select plus can have "Require buyers to contact you for international
shipping costs" as a choice. This last International option allows the
potential buyer to ask for a cost and you can calculate a shipping cost to their country.

-.-

A Canadian seller can still buy discounted shipping through PayPal from Canada Post.

-..-

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for your input. The option of selling on both eBay .ca & .com will probably help me out substantially, especially since I have four seller accounts and could use one exclusively for .com listings.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  As I have four seller accounts I have decided to use one exclusively for listings on eBay.com.  Will give it a go and see if the US sales pick up again.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Just don't make the same item available for sale to the same country site even between different accounts.  They can detect that now

Message 6 of 6
latest reply