Unfair resolution center decision

I am very upset on Ebay's decision in one of my case #5099609394.

I received an item from seller which was not as described. So I opened a ticket to return the item.

Seller did not respond to it on time and then resolution center made a decision to refund me, but I was a told to return the item to seller and to provide the tracking number in resolution center to get the refund.

I checked shipping cost to return the item and found it as going to cost ($45) more than the refund for the item. So I requested for a return shipping label, and I requested several times. But there was no response regarding the shipping expense or return shipping label. Finally the deadline was over and my ticket was closed saying "We closed this request because we didn't receive the tracking information you were required to provide showing you were shipping back to the seller." And I did not get my money back.

In resolution center, I had no option to leave any information except the tracking number; it was really unfair. Ebay should leave an option to address this type of situation.

Then I tried to get hold of the seller through Paypal, and unfortunately Paypal behaved the same way, wanted me to pay $45 shipping to get $38 refund for the item though I explained everything in ticket (Claim - #PP-004-609-469-512).

Interestingly, both of Paypal and Ebay do not allow us to appeal a decision though they declared.

Frankly speaking, I did not do all these for the money at all, the amount was very little. I wanted to make sure how they work for us.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

marnotom!
Community Member

At any point did you speak to a real human being about your claim?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hello 'mannanbangla', 

<< . . . not as described. So I opened a ticket to return the item.

Seller did not respond . . .  I was a told to return the item to seller and to provide the tracking ...
I requested for a return shipping label, ... several times. >>

What do you mean you 'requested the return shipping label'?  Did you ask the seller via ebay messages?

Not that it matters because a seller in another country cannot send you a return label.  There is no such thing as a

generic 'international return label'.  The seller is supposed to forward you the shipping fee out of the goodness of her

heart (cough cough) or include it in the total refund when she gets the item back.

You will find some sellers willing to do this, but ebay cannot force them and if they ignore it and just wait, well, as you

now know, the whole thing times out and you lose.  

More to the point is  did you contact the seller before opening the case?  That would be the considerate thing to do, 

and if it is a low value item from China the seller may have simply offered a refund.  If you did not bother making any

effort to communicate it is not surprising that the seller reciprocated in kind.  

<<In resolution center, I had no option to leave any information except the tracking number; it was really unfair.>>

It's not that it's unfair exactly, but the whole thing is not very well set up for individualism.  It is all automated, and a 

machine can read a tracking number and compute a return but it cannot comprehend an explanation.  

That is why you need to have ebay step in.  The way you do this is call them.  At the top of the page you will 

see the words Help & Contact.  

Click that, and scroll down to the Contact Us.  

On the next page choose the Buying option (shopping cart), then select  After your purchase

From there, choose the  Leaving and receiving feedback  option. 

Yes, I knnoooww your issue is not about feedback but the system is set up to prevent just about any form of contact 

even though throughout the ebay pages are the repeated assertions that if there is a problem you should contact them.

Anyway, after you have clicked on the Leaving and receiving feedback choice, on the next page scroll waaay down 

to the bottom and click the telephone Call Us to get a phone number and pass code, and use it right away as it expires.

This is what you should have done but at this point you have nothing to lose but more of your time if you wish to 

endeavour to have ebay reverse their decision.  

And of course, you have 60 days from when you bought the item in which to leave feedback. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Somewhere along the line something went awry.

Call eBay and ask why you weren't sent money for return shipping.  It's been my experience that if the seller refuses to send the funds, then eBay will step in.

eBay used to hijack the seller's account and send the funds but they may have changed the process.

In my case eBay sent me a courier shipping label, but I'm not sure if that's standard procedure or not.

Anyway, call eBay.  PayPal does not require that sellers pay for return shipping, but for cases of Item Not as Described, eBay does.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

marnotom!
Community Member

At any point did you speak to a real human being about your claim?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hello 'mannanbangla', 

<< . . . not as described. So I opened a ticket to return the item.

Seller did not respond . . .  I was a told to return the item to seller and to provide the tracking ...
I requested for a return shipping label, ... several times. >>

What do you mean you 'requested the return shipping label'?  Did you ask the seller via ebay messages?

Not that it matters because a seller in another country cannot send you a return label.  There is no such thing as a

generic 'international return label'.  The seller is supposed to forward you the shipping fee out of the goodness of her

heart (cough cough) or include it in the total refund when she gets the item back.

You will find some sellers willing to do this, but ebay cannot force them and if they ignore it and just wait, well, as you

now know, the whole thing times out and you lose.  

More to the point is  did you contact the seller before opening the case?  That would be the considerate thing to do, 

and if it is a low value item from China the seller may have simply offered a refund.  If you did not bother making any

effort to communicate it is not surprising that the seller reciprocated in kind.  

<<In resolution center, I had no option to leave any information except the tracking number; it was really unfair.>>

It's not that it's unfair exactly, but the whole thing is not very well set up for individualism.  It is all automated, and a 

machine can read a tracking number and compute a return but it cannot comprehend an explanation.  

That is why you need to have ebay step in.  The way you do this is call them.  At the top of the page you will 

see the words Help & Contact.  

Click that, and scroll down to the Contact Us.  

On the next page choose the Buying option (shopping cart), then select  After your purchase

From there, choose the  Leaving and receiving feedback  option. 

Yes, I knnoooww your issue is not about feedback but the system is set up to prevent just about any form of contact 

even though throughout the ebay pages are the repeated assertions that if there is a problem you should contact them.

Anyway, after you have clicked on the Leaving and receiving feedback choice, on the next page scroll waaay down 

to the bottom and click the telephone Call Us to get a phone number and pass code, and use it right away as it expires.

This is what you should have done but at this point you have nothing to lose but more of your time if you wish to 

endeavour to have ebay reverse their decision.  

And of course, you have 60 days from when you bought the item in which to leave feedback. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Somewhere along the line something went awry.

Call eBay and ask why you weren't sent money for return shipping.  It's been my experience that if the seller refuses to send the funds, then eBay will step in.

eBay used to hijack the seller's account and send the funds but they may have changed the process.

In my case eBay sent me a courier shipping label, but I'm not sure if that's standard procedure or not.

Anyway, call eBay.  PayPal does not require that sellers pay for return shipping, but for cases of Item Not as Described, eBay does.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the reply on my topic.

Yes, I asked several times both Ebay and seller about either the shipping expense or return shipping label. Interesting part is, I was asked twice about the shipping expense, on 5th February, "how much the shipping lable do you need",  and on 15th February, "how much the shipping lable,thanks" . Both time, I replied right away, but they never came up with a solution.

And the way we need to contact Ebay for help in a situation like this, as described in reply of my topic, is really a huge hassle than the amount. But it will help buyers who lost handsome amount.

Anyway, I just wanted to inform Ebay and the buyers about the situation I went though. Now the buyers will get benefit from the reply of my topic.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply