Unpaid items and Cancel Transaction Request Frustration Galore

I just need to vent this morning as I woke to yet another Cancel Transaction request that came in overnight. It is my second this week and, for the record, the 28th order to go to the Resolution Centre within the 30 days. Most are unpaid items and many came from the same buyer who hit the maximum allowed by my settings before calling it quits. If these items had been paid, the sales total would have hit about $1000 CAD. 

The problem is two-fold.

With both 'cancel order' requests, the reason given was 'my child was shopping on my mobile device/computer and I didn't know they were buying things'. (Allow me to be sanctimonious for a moment but as a parent of four children of various ages, I find this utterly inconceivable. It's not as if I don't get busy or become distracted but at NO point is anyone allowed to go online and do anything without my prior consent. Believe me, I have plenty to do around here but I am aware of what my children are doing at all times of the day and night. Grrrr.) This excuse is as old as the day is long. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have heard it. 

The second part of this problem is that I cannot have Immediate Payment Required because I also offer Cash on Local Pickup which forms a large enough part of my business model that I must have it enabled. The two payment options are mutually exclusive. It's not as if there is or can be a postal code override that requires Immediate Payment for someone more than 100 km away and allows Cash on Pickup for one within 100 km. I already asked and was told 'no'.

Is it time as sellers to band together and ask that buyer-initiated Cancel Order requests count for something akin to an Unpaid Item? Or an upgrade to the shopping cart that allows IPR and COP to be enabled based on postal code? 

Also, there is nothing between a limit of 10 and 25 in the 'halt purchase from the same buyer' block that can be set. My 'free shipping' offer via Combined Shipping kicks in at 10 items so it can't be my limit. And because ebay.ca offers NOTHING by means of Promotions for multi-item purchases the way ebay.com does, this and the Markdown Manager are my only two methods by which to stimulate sales. 

I am very frustrated as a result. 

And now for something completely different, please allow me to holler about the Product Catalogue again. With the Bulk Relist tool surreptitiously altering listings so that incorrect item specifics in EVERY instance where a matching product is actually found are overwriting the correct ones that I personally have painstakingly added through the months of May and June, July and August, I am past the point where, as a seller, I feel as if this is a place where I want to be. I have been an ebay cheerleader since the day I bought my first item in 1999 and if even I am feeling alienated..... I don't know what's left to say. I have said it all elsewhere before. 

What is a seller to do? 

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Unpaid items and Cancel Transaction Request Frustration Galore

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I value your thoughts and insights on this as well, rose-dee. I don't, however, experience the same onslaught of error messages beleaguering buyers when they try to add my item to their ebay.com shopping cart because they can't add my item to their shopping cart at all on ebay.com and ebay.co.uk. Because I list in CAD. The errors you describe where the ebay.com buyer is told 'not available' are only for ebay.ca-created USD listings. A CAD listing won't display the Add to Cart option.

You're absolutely right -- this is something that we never thought to test for at the time (probably because most of us were listing in $US).  I just tried it on one of your items (listed in $Cdn), and wasn't given a cart option. 

And I'm steaming mad right now that this was never mentioned by Raphael during all those sessions when we were looking for a way to avoid buyers on .com seeing those "Not available" messages!   What a ridiculous waste of time.  Why the heck couldn't he have told us this, it's so simple really.  It is certainly a better choice than either listing everything with IPR solely for that purpose, or listing everything on .com (his suggestions).  

If this, on the other hand, is what he was really alluding to when claiming that Canadian sellers would see a benefit or at least a neutral result by listing in $Cdn, then why not come out and say it?  Was eBay embarrassed or unwilling to admit to a simple solution for an egregious problem (because they never intend to fix it)?

This fact alone (and not eBay's propaganda) may be enough for me to consider listing everything in $Cdn.  The trade-off is probably a rational one -- I think it's worse for a U.S. buyer to see those bizarre messages and get stuck in a useless cart than to see a price in $Cdn and the U.S. equivalent below it, even if it does look "foreign".

It still doesn't solve the cart problem per se, but if the cart doesn't work anyway, this is a better alternative than listing everything on .com.  OMG, I can't believe I've spent over a year banging my head against this particular wall when at least an interim solution was there.  Thank you 'mj'  for the digression on eBay's checkout function.  You've made my day (night).  Woman Happy

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

Glad to help rose-dee! It's something I figured out on my own via trial and error but I think R did say things like, 'the ebay.com shopping cart can't accept alternative currencies' and 'it wasn't built to accept listings from outside ebay.com' so it's possible that he looked at answers that didn't ultimately satisfy the same question. If we were asking, 'How can we make the ebay.com cart work for us?' the only answer he can give is 'list on ebay.com' but if the question is 'how can I stop my ebay.com buyers from getting incorrect and contradictory error messages when they try to buy things from me' the answer is 'list only in CAD and they won't be able to put that item in their cart at all'. It heads them off at the pass.

The ebay.ca cart works flawlessly for me, no matter what region the buyer is from as long as they are logged into ebay.ca to use it. All my listings are created on ebay.ca in CAD and I mean, it works flawlessly. No issues. All my combined shipping rules work exactly as they were set to do, even blending calculated and flat into a single transaction. It is a thing of beauty. I run random checks ever few weeks as time permits and only once did it behave oddly during a trial but rectified itself without my having any actual issues arise from it.  

As to the CAD versus USD issue, I know every seller has his or her own reasons for the preferences but I switched and stuck to CAD after a few months of selling here. The dollars were at par then and it annoyed me to have to pay currency conversion fees to paypal on every transaction. Now with the disparity between the dollars, it means only that I adjust my pricing somewhat to offer different incentives to fellow Canadian shoppers to compensate for it. Free domestic shipping on more items, as an example. 

As to my troubles with the Bulk Editor and Product Catalogue, it's possible that ebay wouldn't even consider the fact it is adding Product Catalogue details to items without warning a problem. The phenomena only crops up after the seller has changed certain other aspects of the listing, a straight relist is not affected by it. The bigger problem resides with the fact the very sparse information in the Product Catalogue itself, for me anyway, has been terribly incorrect. I require more information on the manner in which the Product Catalogue is populated and by whom before I can begin to get to the bottom of it. Only ten per cent of what I sell can be matched but when that ten per cent is so wrong it hurts, that is a problem. For sellers, for buyers, for ebay. We need the Product Catalogue to work and ebay.ca doesn't use the same one as ebay.com. Does that mean ebay.co.uk has its own too? The are Universal identifiers, why is the catalogue not shared? I need to know more. 

Like the ebay.com question, we can chase our tails for months unless we pose exactly the right question to exactly the right person. 

That's why members come to the ebay Community. To crowd source solutions, right? 

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

And I'm steaming mad right now that this was never mentioned by Raphael during all those sessions when we were looking for a way to avoid buyers on .com seeing those "Not available" messages!   What a ridiculous waste of time.  Why the heck couldn't he have told us this, it's so simple really.

Actually this was mentioned quite a while ago. MJ and I had a conversation about it in a thread that you were quite active in so I'm surprised that you don't remember.  We were discussing why mj couldn't see the 'add to cart' button when she put one of her items in the cart and I mentioned that it was because her listings were in Canadian dollars.

It wouldn't surprise me if Raphael didn't know about it. He didn't know that ipr would change anything re the .com cart use.  btw I thought that you were going to use ipr?   Considering that you said changing to Canadian dollars would mean that you would lose money,  I would think that ipr would be a better solution for you.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

If this, on the other hand, is what he was really alluding to when claiming that Canadian sellers would see a benefit or at least a neutral result by listing in $Cdn, then why not come out and say it?  Was eBay embarrassed or unwilling to admit to a simple solution for an egregious problem (because they never intend to fix it)?

Even if he knew about it, I doubt that he was alluding to it.   The reasons given for the currency change seemed pretty straightforward to me. I really don't think there is any sort of conspiracy.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Actually this was mentioned quite a while ago. MJ and I had a conversation about it in a thread that you were quite active in so I'm surprised that you don't remember.  We were discussing why mj couldn't see the 'add to cart' button when she put one of her items in the cart and I mentioned that it was because her listings were in Canadian dollars.

I remember the thread, actually, and I remember 'mj' not being able to see the "Add to Cart" message.  I do recall your mentioning that it was due to her listings being in $Cdn,  but it was never concisely explained why that would have the effect we were seeing -- at least not as clearly as 'mj' has explained it above.  I assumed 'mj' was just having a "glitch day", as well all do from time to time. Smiley Very Happy

btw I thought that you were going to use ipr?   Considering that you said changing to Canadian dollars would mean that you would lose money,  I would think that ipr would be a better solution for you.

This isn't as simple a choice for me as you might imagine.  

I ruminated over changing everything to IPR, and ultimately postponed, hoping somebody might come up with a better workaround to the cart problem.  It seemed to me that IPR was a mean-spirited thing to do to my customer base.  My buyers are "nice", even wonderful, always have been.  I get perhaps one truly unpaid item in a year, if that.  It's one area where I don't have issues.  I like to give my buyers a few days to pay if they ask (and they usually do), although I imagine buyers are becoming much more accustomed to having to pay immediately since IPR was introduced on .com.  Still, with my buyer base, changing to IPR is not a pleasant option. 

Although listing in $Cdn will be a definite disadvantage to me, I'm now faced with a rock-and-a-hard-place decision if I want to avoid having my buyers see those nasty error messages.   There are a number of reasons listing in $US has been a benefit for me.  This is not only because virtually all of my buyers and competitors are American (trying to keep up with my U.S. competitors' prices while listing in $Cdn might be a bit of a nightmare), but also because I buy most of my raw materials and supplies from the U.S. using my $US Paypal account.  

I never have to worry about currency exchange charges or the fluctuating $Cdn when I buy those materials and supplies -- a dollar is a dollar is a dollar when you deal only in $US.  Changing to $Cdn would significantly affect my costs, especially if the $Cdn continues to fall.  

The other thing that has helped a great deal is that I buy CP Paypal shipping labels with my US funds -- as the $Cdn has fallen, my shipping costs have effectively gone down, which has allowed me to continue to offer shipping subsidies and free upgrades to my U.S. buyers.  

So it's either give up the advantages of listing in $US in order to eliminate confusion, give up the advantages of listing on .ca (and list on .com in order to have a functional cart), or give up the advantages of accommodating nice people who may want a few days to pay (and will return to buy from me again because of it).  And as you know, stipulating IPR doesn't solve the cart problem, just makes the cart go away.  On the other hand, IPR will be in place automatically in any event if I list on .com.  

I honestly don't know at this point which choice is worse.  It's hard to triage with such alternatives, and it really is a choice of the least of three evils for my situation.  However it seems that listing in $Cdn is going to be obligatory at some point in the not too distant future, and I will be forced to make a decision by then, if I haven't already done so.  

I think I'll take Scarlett O'Hara's advice and "think about it tomorrow".  Woman LOL

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Even if he knew about it, I doubt that he was alluding to it.   The reasons given for the currency change seemed pretty straightforward to me. I really don't think there is any sort of conspiracy.

Spin is not necessarily conspiracy.  Spin and obfuscation are eBay's standard ways of dealing with "issues".  

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

pjcdn2005 wrote:

.... Actually this was mentioned quite a while ago. MJ and I had a conversation about it in a thread that you were quite active in so I'm surprised that you don't remember.  We were discussing why mj couldn't see the 'add to cart' button when she put one of her items in the cart and I mentioned that it was because her listings were in Canadian dollars......

Thank you, pj for reminding me to whom I was speaking to directly when it was figured out. I knew that I didn't arrive at the conclusion on my own. Was it the 'shopping cart disconnect thread'? Trying to recall is like unwinding a rubber-band ball. 

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

" It seemed to me that IPR was a mean-spirited thing to do to my customer base.  My buyers are "nice", even wonderful, always have been.  I get perhaps one truly unpaid item in a year, if that.  It's one area where I don't have issues.  I like to give my buyers a few days to pay if they ask (and they usually do), although I imagine buyers are becoming much more accustomed to having to pay immediately since IPR was introduced on .com.  "

This is one area we agree and it would never cross my mind to insist on "Immediate Payment Required".

My buyers do not deserve to be insulted and, from my perspective, this is what "Instant Payment Required" does.

I realize why eBay did it at the request of large sellers who wanted an easy streamline operation.  However, those sellers could have used "Instant Payment Required" if important to them and let the rest of us make our own decisions based on our needs and marketing approach.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

If we were asking, 'How can we make the ebay.com cart work for us?' the only answer he can give is 'list on ebay.com' but if the question is 'how can I stop my ebay.com buyers from getting incorrect and contradictory error messages when they try to buy things from me' the answer is 'list only in CAD and they won't be able to put that item in their cart at all'. It heads them off at the pass. 

But that's the thing -- I clearly recall that motorcycle guy from Merritt, BC who was fuming (and rightly so) on a couple of the Wednesday Board Hours because he'd discovered his .com buyers were getting "not available" messages.  

He ended up deducing that IPR was the fix for that particular problem (he was right of course), and said he was going to change all his listings to IPR because of it.  However, I don't recall Raphael ever suggesting to him that he list in $Cdn exclusively.  I think 'pj'  is likely correct that R hadn't thought of the perhaps less unpleasant  "workaround"  of listing in $Cdn.  

Oh, man, now I have to decide whether to give up all the benefits of listing in $US in order to avoid turning buyers off with those messages (which I'm certain many are encountering).  I can't possibly know in advance which will lose me more of my buyers and sales -- listing in $Cdn, or listing with IPR?  

I think I'll just go throw some cold water on my face and work on happier tasks today...Woman Very Happy

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

pierre lebel wrote:

"This is one area we agree"

___________________________________________________________________________________

Oh Pierre, surely it's not come to that, has it?  Surely we've agreed on more than one thing in all this time!  

How about chocolate ice cream -- everybody agrees chocolate ice cream is nice in summer.  Can we shake on it and come out smiling? Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 33
latest reply

"How about chocolate ice cream -- everybody agrees chocolate ice cream is nice in summer. "

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of enjoying chocolate ice cream in over twenty years, ever since I was diagnosed with diabetes. Smiley Sad

And life does go on.

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

Oh dear!

Well, chocolate ice cream is out then. 

Some nice, salty pickles? It's fairly early in the day so my blood pressure is still moderate. 

To rose-dee: I've no doubt that the error messages when your item is in the cart must be avoided at all costs as they really confuse the situation for the buyer. As to the USD/CAD decision, I sympathize. I realize Americans are more likely to want to buy in USD than other currencies but the CAD looks like a big on-sale amount to them now so that might help as well. 

To rose-dee and pierre: I don't much care for the Immediate Payment Required idea, either. I never did. Except that it's absense has landed me in the silly place where I have 28 cases either unpaid or cancelled in the Resolution Centre this month. That is a first. (And hopefully a last.) 

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

Maybe a nice refreshing "no sugar added" Del Monte fruit pop.

Ahhhhhh.

Message 33 of 33
latest reply