Ups extortion of funds for import fees into Canada up to 50% of the value of an item?

UPS is trying to extort $44 from me to release my package of a value of $85.

I paid them already $143 for shipping a 14 pound package from Ohio to B.C. Canada.

They should not be allowed to do this.

If I refuse to pay the $44 they will return the package and how will I get back my $143?

What can I do?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

I don't know about extortion, but the $44 is seperate fro...

I don't know about extortion, but the $44 is seperate from the shipping charges you paid. It is for customs. Anything valued over $20 coming into Canada is eligible for taxes. When shipped by Canada Post, normally things slide through. But when shipped by a courrier company (UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.), anything over $20 (yes, $20.01) will be charged import taxes + brokerage fees.

UPS has the most expensive brokerage fees out of all of the couriers by far. If you refuse the parcel, you wouldn't have to pay the customs/brokerage fees, but shipping wouldn't be refunded by UPS. Import taxes are nothing new, have been around forever. If you need to get something fast coming from outside of the country, stay away from couriers. If you need to get it couriered, stay away from UPS.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply