Vacation settings

Can a buyer still buy an item while my store is in vacation mode? DO I need to select the hide feature?
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Vacation settings

If you select the "hide" function your listings will not be visible to potential buyers.

If you do not select the "hide" function then buyers can buy your listings, pay for them and wait... and wait... and wait...  until they realize there is a mail strike and you are not shipping! Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If you do not use the hide feature, put a note on your store saying you are accepting orders but will not be shipping until after the strike. Do something similar for your email response. I've done this a couple of times when I took a real vacation and it worked out okay. I'll be packing up orders, but not sealing them in case someone wants to add to their order and get combined or free shipping. That too will be mentioned in the note on my store. And then there's a nice long list of projects to be done during the strike.....

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I think that it is best to hide your listings. A buyer may not see the note about the delayed shipping and will be disappointed when the item isn't shipped.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

If I was going to be away for a few days, usually over a weekend, I would put my Stores on Vacation, but leave the listings viewable.

But since I promise same day shipping, if my Stores were going to be closed for more than five days, I made them invisible.

I have girded my loins and taken a deep breath, along with a glass of my BILs fine sipping gin, and left my Stores open for the moment. I gather that the earliest date for an actual strike is July 8.

I believe that if the union does strike, they will follow their former strategy of revolving strikes, which have a lower impact on their members' paycheques. This will slow the mail and mostly domestically, but not stop it.

And if worse comes to worst, we've been meaning to take the ferry ride to Port Angeles for a couple of years now. Maybe even to Seattle.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I was pointed at July 5 as the shut down date. An insider. Still, union mgmt is not saying and CP is not saying. Game of "you go first".

Rotating strikes? Yeah, didn't that work well last time.

I will put my store on vacation, hide my listing, and go to the eBay convention in Las Vegas.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It's looking like a lock out either July 2 or 4th according to the Canada Post website 

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/comm/details.page?article=2016/06/13/mailing_and_shipping&cattype=s...

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I had bot seen those exact timeline dates. I am mostly international. I was aiming at closing on the 27th. I can, maybe, stretch for a couple days, at the most to the 29th.

I dunno, I do not need the anxiety. I think I will shut down on the 27th.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I'm ending all my listings on Sunday the 26th night and mailing everything on the 27th.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:
I'm ending all my listings on Sunday the 26th night and mailing everything on the 27th.

Excellent plan. Proactive. Forward thinking. Good for you.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 10
latest reply