Were there recent changes regarding Western Union?

Hi. I seem to be having problems relisting items. On one of them I was prompted a queue because I have Western Union in my auction description, although it's a Money Order I'm asking for and not a Money Wire or Money Transfer. I remember they did the same thing with Money Gram a while back. Is is possible they are blocking all auctions with the mention of Western Union? I take paypal of course but have given my customers a few well known Money Order options such as the Postal Money orders and those from WU and also Moneygram. The Money Gram ones are offered at Walmart...geeze...but they made me remove it from all my auctions, now Western Union too? My bank told me not to accept bank money orders because there are too many forgeries.

If they did make this change, I sure wish they would tell us these things! I have to change thousands of listings now, as if my time wasn't scarce enoungh 😞

Feeling more and more squeezed by eBay as time goes by...
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Is is possible they are blocking all auctions with the mention of Western Union?

Yes

If they did make this change, I sure wish they would tell us these things!

Change happened in 2005, I'm not sure exactly when thee started blocking the words "Western Union" but it's been a couple of years. It may depend on the associated words.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Oh, well I guess it's odd then that I never had any problems until yesterday. I have been going into my relists and changing everything. It's not like the exclusion of Western Union makes a difference to me anyway, it's just there's a lot of work involved to make all the changes when all I'm asking for is a money order which is permissable.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I used to say western union as well, but SOME (not all) of my relistings would get blocked. I just stopped mentioning it and now say (& Other forms of payment -- please ask).

< heavy sarcasm >Nope -- eBay isn't a monopoly. We can't even mentioned valid forms of payment because of their VERY loose policy of 'protecting the buyer from fraudulant sellers'. Geez, yeah, we could rip them off if we wanted to. Oh, but wait, THEY can rip US off if they want to.< /heavy sarcasm >

What're you doing about that eBay? *sigh*

John
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

yeah ebay hates western union, too much fraud and no profit for them. they removed some of mine with their logo or the words, but you can always put other methods accepted, hehe
Message 5 of 5
latest reply