What Canadians should keep in mind when voting

What Canadians should keep in mind when voting: 

The Harper government managed to sink Canada into the deepest amount of debt in the history of the country.  Harper's government also achieved record trade deficits for Canada. 

Harper's government reduced corporate taxes by over 40 percent. 

Under Harper, Canada is in an economic recession for the second time in 8 years.

Canada is the only country in the G20 that cannot afford home mail delivery. 

Prime Minister Harper promised never to appoint senators... and then appointed 59 senators (among them Duffy, Brazeau, and Walin) in exchange for political favours. 

Harper is the only Prime Minister in the history of Canada whose government was found to be in contempt of our Parliament for the misappropriated spending of Canadian tax money. 

Under the Harper government, Canada was kicked off the United Nations Security Council. Canada will now have to wait a decade or more before it can expect to mount another campaign for a Security Council seat. 

The Conservative Party has stated it wants to stop "barbaric cultural practices" particularly involving women.  Let's look at what's happening IN CANADA, in Bountiful, BC.  For 70 years in this community, the religious practice of forced child marriages and men forcing women to wear long pioneer dresses and style their hair with a mighty swoop in the front has been allowed.  Why has there never been any effort or money committed to preventing and investigating forced marriages or to help the victims in Bountiful? 

Please VOTE in the upcoming election. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: What Canadians should keep in mind when voting

Going to vote for Harper, because I believe that will be worse off if Trudeau or Mulcare win.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

"...Going to vote for Harper..."

Two weeks to go and we are still undecided.  However, our votes will go to "anybody but Harper". 

In fact Mary wanted to put a sign on our front lawn "Vote for anybody but Harper". Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

YES!  Thank you!  My point exactly.

Let's show Harper the door out of office.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

We are on the same page as Pierre.

It's just too bad the NDP and Libs wasted so much effort sniping at one another during this campaign or Harper might already be marginalized back to near his true base of around 12%

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I also do not know who to vote.

Harper is doing some things right, but many things wrong. I would like Hamburgerization of Canada to stop, remove Canada from illegal US wars, and most preferably also exit US war toy NATO entirely (one can dream), while strengthening own Canadian Armed Forces instead of relying on US for protection. Also 2010 G8/G20 summit in Toronto with 1.1B security bill and numerous charter violations by the police is not forgotten.

Harper is not liked in this household. But I would hate to give a vote to someone just because of "no Harper". This has backfired in the past.

Liberals have shown their economic incompetence before, can Trudeau's boy really manage this country responsibly?

NDP is unreadable for me.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

"Trudeau's boy "

I guess you meant to write "Trudeau's son".

At 43 (44 in December) Justin is a bit old to be considered a "boy".

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

What Canadians should keep in mind when voting:

Justin is concentrating on the middle class however eliminating family income splitting is a kick in the shins for middle class one income families with stay at home moms and also for two income families where their respective incomes vary. Yes a $2000 kick in the shins. These families enjoyed up to $2000 less income tax in 2014 and it will be taken away by the Liberals if they reach majority status.

Are your children Pierre in that class? 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

"Are your children Pierre in that class? "

No.

Both my son and daughter in law earn substantial salaries and splitting is not relevant to them.

My daughter and son-in-law also earn substantial salaries and they already split their income through their corporation.

Either way, whether I personally benefit or members of my family personally benefit does not affect my vote:  Harper must go.

He is bad for Canada and Canadians, today and for future generations.

There is more than money in life.  Sharing our good fortunes with those less advantaged is being Canadian. That means taxing those high income earners ($200,000+ a year) and giving a bit more benefits to those with lower income.

That is something Harper and his Reform group do not and will never understand.  Time for Harper to go.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Who benefits from income splitting?

At first glance, many will cheer this policy. After all, who would not want an extra $2,000 a year in tax savings? But don’t applaud yet. So what’s wrong? Well … lots.

First, a few studies now have estimated that up to 85 per cent of Canadians will not benefit one penny from this new policy. It excludes all single working parents and childless couples. At a price tag of $27 billion over the next six years, one would have hoped that it would benefit more Canadians!

Second, why insist on couples having children? What is the relationship between income splitting and children? Well, absolutely nothing. It makes no sense. Zero. Zilch. Nada. So why is Harper insisting on announcing a policy that targets presumably straight couples with children? This raises bizarre questions about his motives.

The answer, of course, is rather obvious. This is just a ploy to satisfy all those Harper base voters who see a man and a woman with children as the perfect image of the Canadian nuclear family. And if the woman is barefoot and pregnant, and is a stay-at-home mom, even better.

But what about hard-working, single adults? Nope, no benefits for you. Childless couples where one has lost his or her job? Move on, nothing to see. Loving gay and lesbian couples? Well, maybe if you have children, but otherwise nope. And since most gay and lesbian couples have no children, is this policy specifically designed to be discriminatory? Oh, and of course, the breadwinner must make an income sufficiently high to be able to transfer $50,000 to his spouse. So you gotta be rich too!

- Louis-Philippe Rochon professor of economics (at least he has a job in economics which Harper never did)

Photobucket
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Liberals have couple good points in their plan but overall whatever they are planning sounds terribly expensive., and they have very bad track record of managing money. Btw. the website asks if I will vote for Truedau and only options are Yes and Maybe. Perhaps it was supposed to be funny.

Wish conservatives dropped Harper.

I have no reservations about past NDPs conduct, so I will probably go with them.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

"and they have very bad track record of managing money"

???

When they took over from Mulroney there was a huge annual deficit.  It took them a few years to balance the budget and keep it balanced until Harper came in and started running deficits,

Check the facts.  Check the real history, not the nonsense we hear during a campaign.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I found this quiz which gives very particular questions and then matches responder with parties:

http://canada.isidewith.com/political-quiz

Turns out I am 90% compatible with NDP and 84% with Liberal and only 66% with Conservatives.

The thing is, people often focus on single issue, but when voting for the party, we have to accept the whole package. Perhaps I am not as conservative as I thought ...

As for the quiz, the issues I am in disagreement with NDP are mostly of marginal importance to me, for example mandatory vaccination or Quebec sovereignty, etc.

Good quiz, take it 🙂

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@rafael.xavier wrote:

I found this quiz which gives very particular questions and then matches responder with parties:

http://canada.isidewith.com/political-quiz

Good quiz, take it 🙂

I agree -- it is an interesting quiz.

For me it shows the NDP, Liberals and Green Party are pretty much neck and neck (less than 2% difference) with Harper trailing at 60%

In my riding only 3 candidates out of 6 have a shot at winning, and I expect it will Tuesday before a winner is declared. All indications are for a very tight vote.

On voting at advanced polls:

Worst time to come was in the first couple of hours (when those trying to beat the lineups created them).

Best time to come (in Ontario) was when the Blue Jays were playing desperation baseball...

Message 14 of 14
latest reply