What can I do? This is not fair. Bought a light. Didn't work.Seller offered 5CAD item costs $14.28.I

terra-12
Community Member

This is not fair. Bought a light. Didn't work.Seller offered 5CAD item costs $14.28.I refused. They now offered 8CAD and told me to go have it fixed. I said no. I just want a light that works.
They said sent new light Sept.14/15. 38 days later still not here.
They told me to go to post office and find it. 
I waited 38 days for a refund or light. Now you tell me it is outside the return window.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: What can I do? This is not fair. Bought a light. Didn't work.Seller offered 5CAD item costs $14.

When you receive an item that is Not As Described (for example, it doesn't work), you can open an NAD dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of the page.

However, to get a refund, you will have to prove that you have returned the item to the seller and he has recieved it.

Frankly, with the cost of tracked shipping, you are better off accepting either of your seller's offers.

Then, when you have received the refund, which should be within minutes of accepting his offer, you can leave appropriate feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. 'Broken on arrival. Gave partial refund.' for example.

If the seller will not refund, and the deadline for an eBay dispute has passed, (it used to be 45 days from purchase, but that changed recently and I'm not clear on how), go instead to Paypal.

Their Resolution Center is on the left side of the page.

PP has a longer deadline, but go to eBay first.

If worse comes to worst, go to the credit card you back your PP account with, phone the 1-800 number on the back of the card and ask about a chargeback.

Keep in mind that all three of these dispute systems may require proof of return delivery. Since overseas tracking starts around $40, accepting the partial refund, annoying as it is, may be the best solution.

BTW -- Never never never accept an offer of a replacement. It won't arrive or it will be no better than the one it replaces. And you will have passed the deadlines for Resolution.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: What can I do? This is not fair. Bought a light. Didn't work.Seller offered 5CAD item costs $14.

Exactly what reallynicestamsp already said and then leave appropriate feedback for the seller when you have what you have in-hand. Calm, factual feedback. Such as 'Didn't work, replacement didn't come, low partial refund' or something like that. You've 60 days (mark Day 59 on the calendar) from the date of purchase to leave feedback here. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you so much for all the great advice.  I hear you about the "never accept a replacement". Lesson well learned.

Unfortunately I had ordered 2 of these lights and quickly turned both on upon arrival and they both worked. Turned them off within seconds to put them outside to charge.  I only ran one of them overnight. When I tried to turn on the other one it just kept flashing non stop and died.  

Stupid me placed my review based on the first light  without turning on the second one and now I can't change my review.

Another lesson: "Don't be too quick to review purchased goods".

There should be a way to change a review but it appears not.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your explanation and time.

My problem, well one of them, is that I left the feedback too quickly.  My fault. Didn't realize I had 60 days.  Thank you for that valuable info.

More annoyed with the sellers correspondence.  Never had an issue with a seller on E-Bay.

I Told seller when and if the light arrives I will inform them.

My feedback is always calm and factual. No need to be nasty to poor sellers.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

You can leave a Follow-Up to Feedback Left or received at any point. This might be a good place for you to add what you've learned about the product. It should be a link at the bottom of your own Feedback page. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you very much for your reply and advice.

I've learned a lot about shopping on e-bay since posting my question.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

When you receive an item that is Not As Described (for example, it doesn't work), you can open an NAD dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of the page.

However, to get a refund, you will have to prove that you have returned the item to the seller and he has recieved it.

Frankly, with the cost of tracked shipping, you are better off accepting either of your seller's offers.

Then, when you have received the refund, which should be within minutes of accepting his offer, you can leave appropriate feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. 'Broken on arrival. Gave partial refund.' for example.

If the seller will not refund, and the deadline for an eBay dispute has passed, (it used to be 45 days from purchase, but that changed recently and I'm not clear on how), go instead to Paypal.

Their Resolution Center is on the left side of the page.

PP has a longer deadline, but go to eBay first.

If worse comes to worst, go to the credit card you back your PP account with, phone the 1-800 number on the back of the card and ask about a chargeback.

Keep in mind that all three of these dispute systems may require proof of return delivery. Since overseas tracking starts around $40, accepting the partial refund, annoying as it is, may be the best solution.

BTW -- Never never never accept an offer of a replacement. It won't arrive or it will be no better than the one it replaces. And you will have passed the deadlines for Resolution.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Exactly what reallynicestamsp already said and then leave appropriate feedback for the seller when you have what you have in-hand. Calm, factual feedback. Such as 'Didn't work, replacement didn't come, low partial refund' or something like that. You've 60 days (mark Day 59 on the calendar) from the date of purchase to leave feedback here. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you so much for all the great advice.  I hear you about the "never accept a replacement". Lesson well learned.

Unfortunately I had ordered 2 of these lights and quickly turned both on upon arrival and they both worked. Turned them off within seconds to put them outside to charge.  I only ran one of them overnight. When I tried to turn on the other one it just kept flashing non stop and died.  

Stupid me placed my review based on the first light  without turning on the second one and now I can't change my review.

Another lesson: "Don't be too quick to review purchased goods".

There should be a way to change a review but it appears not.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your explanation and time.

My problem, well one of them, is that I left the feedback too quickly.  My fault. Didn't realize I had 60 days.  Thank you for that valuable info.

More annoyed with the sellers correspondence.  Never had an issue with a seller on E-Bay.

I Told seller when and if the light arrives I will inform them.

My feedback is always calm and factual. No need to be nasty to poor sellers.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

You can leave a Follow-Up to Feedback Left or received at any point. This might be a good place for you to add what you've learned about the product. It should be a link at the bottom of your own Feedback page. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you very much for your reply and advice.

I've learned a lot about shopping on e-bay since posting my question.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply