What can you do if you didn't receive item and seller kept telling you to be patient

I bought an item from China (ordered many times with no problems) and never got the item.

Seller kept telling me to be patient it would come.

Then seller told me they re-sent the item

I never got it and now can't file dispute with EBay or Paypal and seller is ignoring my e-mails.

Time has also run out to give negative feedback ... which this transaction deserves.

Is there anything I can still do ??

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: What can you do if you didn't receive item and seller kept telling you to be patient

This is, unfortunately, an increasingly common 'scam'. The seller may never have actually sent the original item, or maybe never even had it in stock. They string you along asking you to "be patient" as shipping can take a long time from China, until you are past the date to dispute the purchase.

If you paid by credit card through PayPal you can contact your credit card company (phone number should be on the back of the card) and request a chargeback for the fraudulent purchase. If you paid directly through your bank account via PayPal there may be some respite, but you'd have to contact your bank.

Other than that, I'm afraid you are out of luck. Always file an "Item Not Received" case if you do not receive the item within about 30 days, no matter what the seller may say to you.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: What can you do if you didn't receive item and seller kept telling you to be patient

I know what I'd do, if I felt they were really trying to screw me over, mistakes do happen, but..... 

so, if you're not blocked from bidding off of them..and they are still on ebay, why .... not... buy... something ..else 😉

then..... give whatever feedback u want?

evil? or fair?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Not 'eBay legal'.

If the seller has the fb removed, and he can, the buyer is penalised.

Go to the credit card. The seller won't know what hit him. Most of these scammers don't understand how much buyer protection an eBay customer using Paypal backed by a credit card has.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I tried to file a complaint with Paypal but too much time had passed. I will not be so patient next time.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks. I will do this next time. I have never had this happen before.
It's too late to do anything through Paypal .. but your suggestion to always file an "Item not Received" case is wise.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Are a lot of people experiencing this problem ?
I am now unsure about ordering anything from China any more.
I have ordered from many different sellers with no problems until this summer.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

No and yes.

Chinese sellers are probably no more nor less honest than any others, however,there are a lot of Chinese sellers, some of them very large indeed.

Communication can be difficult and the quality of the merchandise is often below the standard advertised and/or expected.

A lot of bidders fall for the fallacy that because 'everything is made in China', that they will get Apple quality products from a Chinese seller of Aplle products. (Note spelling!).

Chinese manufacturers working under contract with Western companies have to meet the Western standard. If the product fails that standard the Western company will not purchase.

READ the seller's feedback scores, and check the written complaints for consistent problems. Remember that there will be a percentage of buyers who expected solid gold bars for a penny, who want overnight delivery from Asia, and who just didn't read the listing.

And use those arithmetic skills you learned in grade school. A seller with one neg in five transactions is not doing well. One neg in a thousand transactions is a good seller.

A seller with 100, 000 transactions and 500 negs is still a good seller, but check to see why he is getting negs? Quality? shipping time?

Message 8 of 8
latest reply