What is everyone doing about selling in CDN funds vs Selling on .com?

Just realized that the deadline date is fast approaching for moving our listings to CDN funds or moving over to .com.  I've tried a sample template on TurboLister to sell on .com but I'm stuck on the shipping area.  What do you put for domestic? Are WE considered domestic, or do we need to pretend like we are in the States?  And then International Shipping doesn't seem to have a choice of CanadaPost shipping at all... or even an "other" option.  

What is everyone else doing?  Are you moving items over to .com or changing everything to CDN funds?  

Thank you for your time to help me decide what we should be doing.  

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

On eBay.com

Domestic is shipping to the US

Shipping to Canada is international

You can use Canada Post.... using flat rate shipping...  ie.  One price for all of Canada.... and then one price for all of the US...

Describe  shipping in a generic format.........You will not be able to say  Canada Post Expedited Canada....

using  an option  that best describes the characteristics of the shipping option you will use....Economy shipping... standard shipping... expedited shipping..

and always check  the estimated delivery time  such that your generic choice approximates the delivery time  from Canada Post's shipping option.... It is Canada Post's estimate plus your handling time....

This is the start....  others may have more to say.....

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

The craziest listing I saw  was

A Canadian seller.... located in Ontario....

Listing on eBay.com

With shipping to domestic only... with a price  for shipping to Canada 

and blocking all international shipping

--------------------------------------

When a Canadian seller lists on eBay.com they must understand the unique  aspects of doing so....  

and... how to use them effectively

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

I have been using Economy shipping to the US and Standard International shipping to Canada and using a flat rate to the US & Canada for awhile and it seems to be working out fine so far. Since I don't ship out side of North America now makes it easier. Since I cut out International my sales stayed about the same with allot loss & late shipping defects &  Oz was my biggest problem.  

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

The craziest listing I saw  was

A Canadian seller.... located in Ontario....

Listing on eBay.com

With shipping to domestic only... with a price  for shipping to Canada 

and blocking all international shipping

--------------------------------------

When a Canadian seller lists on eBay.com they must understand the unique  aspects of doing so....  

and... how to use them effectively

eBay.ca

Photobucket
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Well sales were a little lower but only by maybe 5 to 10, but overall I am OK with my sales for April. 

I list on both .com and .ca and sold a total of 47 for the month of April.

on .com I sold 17 - 13 were US buyers, 2 were Cdn, and 2 international

on .ca I sold 30 - 9 were US buyers, 14 were Cdn, and 7 were international.

on .ca I have about 800 listed and on .com about 300.   Also when I changed over to Cdn $, I did reduce my prices and shipping cost for the buyer, so that is probably why I had quite a few Cdn sales.  I am also sell in a field that demand is less and less each month. 

So far this month May, I have sold 20 on both .com and .ca.  I am happy with that.

My conclusion is that listing in US$ attracts more US buyers, however, I did have a lot more international and some US buyers listing in Cdn.   I am going to continue to list in both currencies.  I'll just move them back and forth between .ca and .com and see how it goes.  

I sell CD's so it is flat shipping so my shipping isn't a problem for me.  

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

You would have to go with flat rate shipping/generic options to list on .com.  That would be a significant problem for you op with the heavy use of calcualted shipping on lower price items

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

As others have stated, if you list on .com you need to use a flat rate for shipping. When putting in the shipping price for the U.S. many of us use the option -  'standard shipping from outside of the U.S.'

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@geeked.out wrote:

Just realized that the deadline date is fast approaching for moving our listings to CDN funds or moving over to .com.  I've tried a sample template on TurboLister to sell on .com but I'm stuck on the shipping area.  What do you put for domestic? Are WE considered domestic, or do we need to pretend like we are in the States?  And then International Shipping doesn't seem to have a choice of CanadaPost shipping at all... or even an "other" option.  

What is everyone else doing?  Are you moving items over to .com or changing everything to CDN funds?  

I have been selling on .ca and .com for years, so aside from taking advantage of the 100k free Canadian listings offer, not much impact on me.

The reason to use eBay.CA is for the calculated shipping (and cheaper listing fees, eBay.ca are in CA$, so about 20-25% less than the listing fee on eBay.com).  eBay.com is best suited if you prefer US$ and can make use of flat rate shipping.

Here's a list of the current shipping choices when listing on eBay.com for the Canadian seller (who ships from Canada)

To the USA (the eBay.com domestic)
All flat rate, no calculated, with expected delivery time.

Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)
Flat rate Freight

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable. So it's easy to set up Canada with separate rate.

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

-.-

A Canadian seller can still buy discounted Canada Post shipping through PayPal (assuming you can get their labels to print).

-.-

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

I have been taking advantage of the free listings in Cdn funds, started revising to Canadian on March 25th and I now have 2400 of my 7300 listing converted.  It's a long process doing it one at a time but this way it goes through as a relist and my watchers get a hyperlink to the new listing.  This would not be the case with the migration tool and since I have over 2000 watchers this is my biggest concern.  On the positive side, all my revised listings are now showing up as new items in searches and i'm selling tons of stuff that has been sitting in inventory for years- especially funny when the buyer says "I've been looking for this for years" and I know mine has been listed since 2014!!  I have many regular buyers and no one has complained that they had to pay 2 invoices or that the listings were in Cdn funds.  This is going to be MUCH easier than trying to figure out the shipping on .com.  Now if only my shoulder wasn't suffering from an old injury and all the time spent doing the revisions. 

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:
The reason to use eBay.CA is for the calculated shipping (and cheaper listing fees, eBay.ca are in CA$, so about 20-25% less than the listing fee on eBay.com).  

You make a good point.  I'd overlooked this factor in my attempt to decipher what eBay's true reasons are for forcing $CDN listings only on .ca.  I think you're right that if eBay creates a mass migration of Canadian sellers to .com, those who don't have a store may find they're paying more in listing fees.  Of course eBay has hiked up store fees too. 

EBay has tried very hard to convince sellers to go with a store subscription, both by propagandizing and more subtle techniques, such as restrictions in free listings for non-store owners and very changeable hit-and-miss promos.  I've always maintained that their reason was to establish a completely reliable, subscriber-based cash flow, rather than relying as they had for years on free sellers whose listing activity (and hence fee payment to eBay) was unpredictable. 

My position is (and has been, ever since eBay first began to "test the waters" by defaulting the SYI form to $CDN on .ca), that eBay is desperately looking everywhere it can for more cash flow.  This whole switch to $CDN-only listings on .ca has nothing to do with better sales for Canadian sellers.  It has everything to do with more quick and reliable income for eBay.  What is means is higher store fees, higher upgrade fees (did anyone even notice the new upgrade fee structure they sneaked in?), and clearly, more Canadian sellers fleeing to .com where they will pay more to list, as well as more in FVFs.  

Why higher FVFs?  Because for Canadian sellers like me, whose customer base is primarily in the U.S., I've saved a lot -- and I mean a lot -- of money on shipping FVFs by offering free or greatly reduced domestic shipping on my .ca listings.  I am going to be forced to list on exclusively on .com soon (because it's the only rational option for me), which means I will pay more in FVFs on shipping because I simply can't afford to offer free or next-to-nothing shipping to the U.S. (which obviously is the "domestic" shipping on .com).  

Chasing a large number of Canadian sellers over to .com will also mean that there will be less complaining about the checkout system not working properly between .ca and .com, and so virtually no need for eBay to address the problem.  No wonder they dragged their heels about the "cart disconnect" for over 2 years -- why fix something if you know you're planning to make the problem irrelevant soon because so many Canadian sellers will have little choice but to move to .com? 

In my case, moving to .com -- which I must do -- not only destroys my cost savings strategy, but will cost me extra money.  So in effect, eBay is actually saving twice on sellers like me -- once by no longer collecting shipping FVFs from me on .ca (or giving me a discount), and again by charging me FVFs on shipping which I hadn't been paying on .ca!  That must surely add up to quite a tidy new cash flow.  

I list exclusively in $US, but my listings are divided between .com and .ca.  I was just about to expand my store to take full advantage of the double listing capacity I had available (both on .ca and .com), but I'm now faced with having to "live" exclusively on .com, which means back to the basic store listing allotment (plus whatever occasional promos come up).  The extra 50 listings per month we now get with a basic store are practically meaningless, considering our store fees are rising by 25%. 

What this move definitely is not, in my view, is a means of helping Canadian sellers do better.  We already had that, with two options in listing currency.  How can less choice be more beneficial than more choice?  The answer is: because it makes eBay more cash.  With sales dropping, fees for services are the one cash cow eBay has left to increase its revenue.  

Now eBay can turn to its shareholders and tell them, yes, we have a confirmed new, solid, reliable cash flow increase of 25% or more from our millions of U.S. and Canadian sellers who have stores, plus we'll have millions of new dollars every year coming from shipping FVFs through Canadian sellers who migrate to .com, and we'll even catch the Canadian sellers without stores who would otherwise slip through the cash net, by charging them more if they list on .com.  

I can imagine the boardroom accolades and clapping hands...brilliant!! Smiley LOL

I started out an eBay optimist years ago, then was forced to become a realist.  Now I'm a cynic.  I really hardly believe a word they tell us anymore. 

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

"I'd overlooked this factor in my attempt to decipher what eBay's true reasons are for forcing $CDN listings only on .ca.  I think you're right that if eBay creates a mass migration of Canadian sellers to .com, those who don't have a store may find they're paying more in listing fees.  Of course eBay has hiked up store fees too. "

I realize you are now a "cynic" to use your word.

However, numbers are numbers. Please take a few minutes to read and understand your statement.  How exactly is eBay Inc make more money by converting eBay.ca into a single currency site like all other eBay sites and encouraging sellers to list in Cdn$ on eBay.ca?

Store fee increase has nothing to do with the change of currency on the site.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

I am currently using the free promos by ending a few of my listings everyday and then relisting 5 per day in CAD $, because I also want my watchers to know their item has been relisted. I also prefer having items listed and ending everyday. I think it helps attract more buyer. Once every item will be relisted, I will see how my sales are doing. If they tank, I will move every item using flat rate shipping to .com. If it goes well, I will probably keep my CAD currency. We'll see.

So far, my sales for April were a complete disaster! Only 2 items sold during the entire month (one in US$ and the other in CAD$)! I recently sold 3 items to the same buyer from UK, but they have been my only sales as of yet for May.

One thing I noticed since I began changing the currency... so sales to the US. But 3 sales oversea.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Have you actually figured out the numbers?  Right now you have 16 out of 130 listings that have free shipping to Canada so about 12% of your listings. How many  listings with free shipping to Canada have you sold in the last 3 months and how much extra would you have paid in fees if the listings were sold to non Canadians on .com?  

Or it can be looked at another way. You've been selling about 10 items a month. If 12% of your sales with free Canadian shipping were sold...that would be approximately 3.5 sales in 3 months.   If when you have free Cdn shipping your average U.S. shipping is about $5 your fvf would be $5 x 9% x 3.5 sales = $1.58 extra fvf over 3 months.

I'm just basing my numbers on what I can see from this end so I realize that is just a partial picture but there doesn't seem to be a huge loss for your or a huge gain for eBay in that scenario.

Keep in mind too that in many cases, it is actually more expensive to ship within Canada than to the U.S.  I can send an inexpensive item that is too big for lettermail for approximately $10 - $14 within Canada and for just over $8 to the U.S.  In that situation, my fvf would be less if I listed on .com.

There's just so many scenarios and I don't see the prospect of extra  fees having anything to do with eBay's decision. But then I'm just speculating.....just like you are.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:
The reason to use eBay.CA is for the calculated shipping (and cheaper listing fees, eBay.ca are in CA$, so about 20-25% less than the listing fee on eBay.com).  

You make a good point.  I'd overlooked this factor in my attempt to decipher what eBay's true reasons are for forcing $CDN listings only on .ca.  I think you're right that if eBay creates a mass migration of Canadian sellers to .com, those who don't have a store may find they're paying more in listing fees.

Actually, you missed the point completely.

If you continue selling in US$ you will still be paying the same listing fees. US$ listings on eBay.ca are already charged in US$ -- moving them to eBay.com will just mean the cost stays the same.

Converting US$ listings to CA$ on eBay.ca means you would pay less for the insertion fees.

-..-

As for true reasons, I recommend reading Dilbert by Scott Adam, for a true look at how big companies really work... Smiley Indifferent

-..-

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

I have proved to myself I do better listing in USD . My items sell on average of $300 USD. To say say just convert to CDN will not help me in sales to Canadians and I prefer if Americans saw their own currency on my listing. Given the currency exchange I do far better because to americans a dollar is a dollar, but in Canada a dollar is $1.29. 

Basically saying; an American will have no issues paying $300 for my item where a Canadian will look at that same item and say to themselves $385 CDN, " its not worth it. There right , its not.

So if it does end up costing me more  to sell on dot com, Im ok with it.

I am just disappointed that this is even an issue.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

"Basically saying; an American will have no issues paying $300 for my item where a Canadian will look at that same item and say to themselves $385 CDN, " its not worth it. There right , its not."

actually, if there are 10 items listed on ebay.ca and all of them work out to over $385 in Canadian and then factoring in the exchange on shipping, yours may look like a bargain to a Canadian buyer.  I've already noticed my Canadian sales double in the last month and that's with using $1.27 as my exchange factor in pricing.  So the only thing that is more attractive to the Canadian buyers is that they don't have to pay exchange on my shipping and that seems to be a big incentive. 

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

I am going to sell in both. Any items that are over 1 kg and will not ship as small packet and need the shipping calculator I will list on .ca. Other items I will list on .com. My intent as I have a store is to use up my free listings on both sites. It is my sincere hope that they will not take away our free listings for stores on .com. If they take them away though I would likely not continue with the store as it would not be worth while. I have been selling in both funds since they had the promo to list free in CDN dollars a number of months ago and have sold to Americans & Canadians in both currencies so am not sure it matters. I do not believe eBay when they say it is to our advantage to sell in CDN dollars - I think likely (as in most decisions they make) it is somehow to their advantage. However I am not sure it matters. I too wish it was not an issue and we could continue to list in either on .ca but if wishes were horses and all that!

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

my concern with selling on .com was how long it would take before we have to adhere to the US standards, for instance maintaining 90% tracked to keep power seller/top seller status.  Remember this was not a requirement for .ca but is a requirement on .com and although they say Canadians won't have to comply they've also said that in the past...we didn't have to put in shipping then suddenly we were required to- also at the time to comply with the US standards. At least on .ca I have a chance at keeping my status/discount.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@rainbow71113 wrote:

my concern with selling on .com was how long it would take before we have to adhere to the US standards, for instance maintaining 90% tracked to keep power seller/top seller status.  Remember this was not a requirement for .ca but is a requirement on .com and although they say Canadians won't have to comply they've also said that in the past...we didn't have to put in shipping then suddenly we were required to- also at the time to comply with the US standards. At least on .ca I have a chance at keeping my status/discount.

This occured to me as well, and I share your reservations. A significant percentage of my own product will never warrant CP tracked shipping. But that stuff moves regardless of listing currency because it's under $20 bucks and Canadians already get it with free shipping, which IMO trumps currency as a more significant domestic sales driver.

For the past month I've gone back and forth on the wisdom of migrating my higher ticket USD items to *.com, but in the end, have chosen to convert them to CAD and keep them on *.ca...at least for now. Of course, I could change my mind yet again if sales of those items start to tank, but as a Canadian shipping from Canada, I simply have more confidence in my ability to fulfil our *.ca TOS than those stricter *.com requirements.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply