What is everyone doing about selling in CDN funds vs Selling on .com?

Just realized that the deadline date is fast approaching for moving our listings to CDN funds or moving over to .com.  I've tried a sample template on TurboLister to sell on .com but I'm stuck on the shipping area.  What do you put for domestic? Are WE considered domestic, or do we need to pretend like we are in the States?  And then International Shipping doesn't seem to have a choice of CanadaPost shipping at all... or even an "other" option.  

What is everyone else doing?  Are you moving items over to .com or changing everything to CDN funds?  

Thank you for your time to help me decide what we should be doing.  

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: What is everyone doing about selling in CDN funds vs Selling on .com?

Canadian registered sellers get Global TRS for the 20% discount and it is based on all sales on all sites. So if you list on eBay.com, theses sales count toward your Global TRS.

eBay.com has its own TRS Plus that requires 90% tracking which a Canadian seller has a very hard time doing and will not qualify for TRS Plus on eBay.com. But the sales on eBay.com count towards Global TRS and the 20% discount so you do not care about USA TRS Plus.

Will they change it one day, who knows. For now, this is the way Global TRS and the 20% discount works so no problem.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

I also sell mostly magazines under 200 grams and use lettermail/light packet/small packet.  I only do free Canadian shipping for anything over $20 but since most of my market is US customers that rarely occurs.  It has taken me a month and a half to do 1/3 of my conversions and I don't see going to .com, I can't imagine doing this all again...my shoulder injury just won't take it, and I would really like to get back to listing new stuff.  With adding upc/mpn/brand names and now currency I haven't listed anything new for almost 2 months now and was concerned that my weekly emails won't have new items for my subscribers then I realized- I'm relisting items from 2013/2014 and most of my subscribers wouldn't have seen these items unless they searched for them specifically and anything I list new gets buried under all the revisions anyway so I'm not as driven but it doesn't help me get rid of the mountains of stock I have to list...LOL

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

I hear you. And like I said, I might yet decide to migrate my higher ticket USD listings to *.com.

But I'm also about simplicity, so if I can make it all work on one site under a single currency, then that is my preferred approach...at least initially.
Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Hard call on whaf to do I'm trying to Make my mind up as well. Move my store to .com
Or .ca.

A benefit to Canadian sellers selling on .ca that has been totally overlooked here is how PayPal totally muggs sellers on the exchange when you transfer to bank account from usd to cad

I know it doesn't really matter currency listed. It all matters on the buyer and desire for the item. If someone wants something they pay.

Listing all on .ca would essentially bypass PayPal taking their 2 % or whatever percentage on the exchange, Lower selling fees and make items more visable to Canadians.

I love my USD and have for awhile now. I'm almost certain USA buyers will still buy and that Canadians WILL still pay 258cad for an item whilst USA buyers will still pay 100.

For a power seller on a huge margin swapping all to .ca could essentially save you in the 10s of thousands of diallers on the exchange that PayPal nabs its percentage off.

Making up my mind soon and am pretty sure I'll swap to .ca with migration tool pretty quick. I will just check top sold listings in .com and list in cad. A US buyer still should see 200usd on and item of searching on .com and a canadain buyer will still see 258cad on.ca
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

Typo US buyer still pay $200usd 😉
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

I'm staying on .ca for now. I have had good success with sales of eWaste to Canadian buyers. On occasion I include the US for auctions if I feel that the market is there.

I have always listed in CDN, but then again, as my supply of stock comes from Canada, that makes sense.

I do understand the situation that sellers who buy stock in USD then have to convert and change prices if they were to sell in CDN. I face a similar challenge when ordering stock for my workplace as I have to predict prices ahead of time, that way when I refill an order, I always have enough room in my cost vs sale price to compensate if the cost goes up as my suppliers are in China and charge USD.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

The one trend I've noticed is that US buyers will buy Can currency items but Canadians are not buying the US currency items on .com. Ideally, I like the idea of having both Can and US currency listings (not to put all my eggs in one basket). But the issue is combined shipping when people buy a mix of items in both currencies; they can't figure out why their order won't combine and why they are getting 2 invoices. If most of your sales are 1 item per Customer, you're lucky you don't have to deal with this headache. I would rather list everything in 1 currency but I'm still not ready to make a choice between solely .com or .ca. ***If they would just let us migrate listings back & forth from .com to .ca too (not just from .ca to .com) for at least 6 months, I would feel much much more comfortable.

On another note, having Can currency in my PayPal account to pay my eBay bill saves money. All this time, I've been getting ripped off because for every sold item, eBay charges the final value fee in US currency first (if you look at the detailed list of your fees, you'll see that). Then they convert these fees (at an exchange loss for us) to Canadian currency. Then when they pull out your fees from PayPal, if you don't have a Canadian currency balance, they convert your US currency to Canadian (once again, at an exchange loss). So you basically get dinged on exchange twice. The clever thing to do is get billed in US currency for US sales, and Can currency for Can sales. And you can't do that if you are listing in both Can & US currency on the same account.
Message 27 of 32
latest reply

"eBay charges the final value fee in US currency first"

Not quite.  eBay charges the fees based on the currency of the listing.

If you list on eBay.com (US$) then the fees are charged in US$.

If you list on eBay.ca in Cdn$, then the fees are charged in Cdn$.  If you list on eBay.ca in US$ (soon to be discontinued) eBay charges fees in US$

Now, the "billing currency" is something entirely different.  Sellers determine what currency they want to be billed monthly (US$ or Cdn$).  A seller can change the "billing currency" once a year.

Personally, for many years, I have selected Cdn$ as my "billing currency" and eBay charges my monthly fees in Cdn$ to my Cdn$ MasterCard giving me rewards (AirMiles).  Whenever an item is listed/sold in US$, the fees will be charged in US$ and converted daily to Cdn$ (my "billing currency") using the bank rates (NOT including any currency conversion fee).

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Yes, you are right but (stupid me - it is my own fault really), I've been listing in US currency on .ca all these years, and eBay kept converting my fees from US to Can, then there was another conversion from US to Can when eBay collected the fees from PayPal (because I never had any Canadian currency balance). And any conversion costs $, whether it is done by eBay, PayPal or the Bank. Bank rates are not "actual" rates, they keep a cut for themselves. That's why I recently set up a US account so I wouldn't get dinged anything on exchange.

Now, I know we can select the billing currency we want (US OR Canadian). But the problem is, if we sell in both currencies on one account, we can't request that our bill be split in US and Can. It can be either one or the other. So one way or another, if I list in both currencies on one account, I get dinged on exchange. That's what I meant. That's just one issue with selling in both currencies, in addition to the hassle of combined shipping and manual invoices. I really would rather list everything in the same currency...

I might just convert entirely to Canadian. If an American buyer can't differentiate between a Canadian dollar and a US dollar, then I'm sure they also won't understand shipping times, item description, return policy etc (in which case, I don't want them to buy in the first place!) Maybe that's what I'll tell myself as I reluctantly change my listings to Canadian 🙂
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Canadian registered sellers get Global TRS for the 20% discount and it is based on all sales on all sites. So if you list on eBay.com, theses sales count toward your Global TRS.

What is the situation for UK sellers listing on dotCOM?

Is afantiques around to tell us? I believe that is his situation.

I can see Canadian sellers being moved to match other 'international' sellers before being forced to match US sellers.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

Is af still selling?  He was registered as a uk business seller so he probably listed on the uk site, not on .com.  

I'm not positive but I think that any non Canadian listing on .com has to qualify for the U.S. Trs plus program in order to get the discount. If we listed on the uk site I'm fairly sure that we would have to qualify for their trs program to get a discount on those listings.  The .com .ca sites have a unique relationship.

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

Has anyone tried the migration tool yet?  I'm still ending 25/50 listings at a time and relisting individually to keep the hyperlinks for the relists for my watchers.  I think I'll keep doing it this way until near the end when I'll wrap up all the stray US listings with the migration tool but I am interested in how much work is involved in the tool...?  I'm assuming you still have to go in and make sure your shipping/upc/mpn/brand names etc are correct on each listing before launching and then you still have to remember to end each active listing...doesn't seem like it's going to be any faster than what I'm doing already.  As for going to .com down the road-not going to happen, I don't ever want to have to do this all again- this is beyond annoying

Message 32 of 32
latest reply